You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Mendocino house description
HIDDEN in the Redwoods of the Northern California Coast, just 6 miles from the Village of Mendocino, Big River Farm is a tranquil getaway just minutes from the Pacific Ocean, endless adventure, fine dining, and much more.
SITUATED on an old berry farm and fruit orchard, 'The Zendo' is a perfect rental for those looking for a quiet, cozy getaway just minutes from Mendocino.
A REDWOOD HOUSE nestled amongst the ferns and cherry trees, the Zendo can sleep up to 4 between its cozy BEDROOM w/ queensize bed and LIVING ROOM w/ kingsize pullout sleeper couch.
NEW! We just added wifi to the Zendo!
LARGE KITCHEN is well-equipped for cooking and entertaining. A couple or individual could enjoy the spacious single bedroom house, or up to 4 guests can comfortably share an incredibly AFFORDABLE vacation house.
SURROUNDED by Jackson State Forest land, Big River Farm is only 1 mile by hiking trails from the Big River, and hosts many enormous ANCIENT REDWOOD TREES.
Make sure to come in the summertime and fall too, when the BERRY BUSHES and ORCHARDS are bursting with ripe goodies!
- 900 sq. ft.
- 1 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
- The single bedroom of the Zendo is a romantic dual level space with a queen size bed, seating area, desk, and ample dresser space. Bedroom is gas-heated and has an amazing view of the redwood meadow below. It should be noted that the bedroom is separated from the living room with glass windows, and does not offer much privacy from other guests in the house....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Coffee Maker
- Towels Provided
- Linens Provided
- Video Library
- DVD Player
- Deck / Patio
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Massage Therapist
- Deepsea Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Paddle Boating
- Scenic Drives
- Wildlife Viewing
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- HIDDEN in the Redwoods of the Northern California Coast, just 6 miles from the Village of Mendocino, Big River Farm is a tranquil getaway just minutes from the Pacific Ocean, endless adventure, fine dining, and much more. SITUATED on an old berry farm and fruit orchard, 'The Zendo' is a perfect rental for those looking for a quiet, cozy getaway just minutes from Mendocino. Originally a Zen commune built in the 60's, the Zendo is the center of a 4 acre hillside with numerous giant redwoods and fruit trees. Other cabins are accessed by the driveway, but are mostly hidden from view. A REDWOOD HOUSE nestled amongst the ferns and cherry trees, the Zendo can sleep up to 5 between its cozy BEDROOM w/ queensize bed and LIVING ROOM w/ kingsize pullout sleeper couch and daybed. LARGE KITCHEN is well-equipped for cooking and entertaining. A couple or individual could enjoy the spacious single bedroom house, or up to 5 guests can comfortably share an incredibly AFFORDABLE vacation house. SURROUNDED by Jackson State Forest land, Big River Farm is only 1 mile by hiking trails from the Big River, and hosts many enormous ANCIENT REDWOOD TREES. Make sure to come in the summertime and fall too, when the BERRY BUSHES and ORCHARDS are bursting with ripe goodies!...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Peaceful and comfortable
Peaceful and comfortable
this cabin is very rustic seeming- very interestingly built-odd bits and pieces- but at the same time very well equipped, modern and clean. It is in a beautiful quiet setting and the stars out the big window were amazing! I would recommend to anyone...
- Guest deborah p.
- Date of stay 09/20/13
- Review Submitted 10/23/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, adventure seekers, age 55+.
A few days in the woods and at the beach
A few days in the woods and at the beach
The house itself was great. A few glitches are that if someone is sitting on the couch near the TV they can see into the shower! There was also no cell service which made it very difficult for us to get online to do homework. I realize we were on vacation, but discussion posts are a necessary evil of online courses. Remember to bring any spices (salt and pepper were provided) and there were no storage bags, foil, or plastic wrap. If you have the fireplace on you cannot use the microwave or it shuts off the power strip. The setting is beautiful, green, lush, and very quiet. The driveway could be a challenge, but overall I would say we had a great time!
- Guest Anonymous
- Date of stay 06/23/13
- Review Submitted 06/30/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, pet owners, adventure seekers.
Owner response: Thank you so much for your comments. As each new group of visitors enjoys the Zendo, we are making adjustments that include your welcome suggestions. Curtains have been a priority, and we will add shades to the window in the living room that peeks into the shower. Overwhelmingly, people have been appreciating being surrounded by redwoods, so choosing window coverings that are flexible is our current solution. We will add a spice rack,foil & plastic wrap to the kitchen. The electrical will be updated soon now that we have the new electric heater in the dining room. As for cell service- it seems that Verizon & US Cellular work, whereas AT&T and Sprint do not. I will also note that on our description. We are considering adding satellite internet service next year. For now, we tell guests that there are several excellent wifi spots in Mendocino. Thanks for the feedback. Sincerely, Debbie
We were a family of five and everyone was impressed with this property. It had a rustic feel and yet had all the necessary comforts. We loved all the windows and being surrounded by so many trees. We would come back again without hesitation.
- Guest Rene K.
- Date of stay 06/17/13
- Review Submitted 06/22/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, families with teenagers, adventure seekers, age 55+.
We Loved It!!! This house is nestled amongst very large Redwood trees. It is only a 6 mile drive to the small town of Mendocino. We loved that we were above the morning fog. Very quiet and quaint. We also enjoyed the fact that our two small dogs were welcomed guests. Debbie was a pleasure as well...very nice. We would recommend this home to anyone wanting to stay in Mendocino. It is close to town but far enough away to feel like vacation! Not too close to all the tourist bustle.
- Guest Chris S.
- Date of stay 06/14/13
- Review Submitted 06/18/13
wonderful house in the middle of the redwood forest
wonderful house in the middle of the redwood forest
this was just perfect, nice house, nice landlady and peaceful time in the middle of the red wood trees near Mendocino! I wished we would have stayed longer than 2 days!
- Guest bd (Kensington, CA)
- Date of stay 06/06/13
- Review Submitted 06/11/13
Recommended for: Girls getaway, tourists without a car, families with young children, age 55+.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
2 night min stay
Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
- Pet Fee: $25
- Taxes Included
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: SFO, San Francisco International at 125 Miles
- Nearest Train: Skunk Train, Ft. Bragg at 15 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Hwy 1 at 6 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Big River at 6 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Patterson's Pub or Dick's Place at 6 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Shasta or Tahoe at 200 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Little River Golf Course at 6 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Raven's Restaurant @ Stanford Inn at 6 Miles
Year Purchased: 1981
About the owner: Fresh out of college at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, I am happily home in Mendocino working several jobs and enjoying the beautiful outdoors and friends I grew up with. I recently traveled to Central America with my life partner Lucy to enjoy the Dec. 21, 2012 end of the world, and guess what? We made it! Yay for a New Era, come enjoy it with us on the Mendo Coast. Will & Lucy are now residing in the Rocky Mountains for a change of pace, and I am managing the property myself. I live in downtown Mendocino, but appreciate coming to the Farm to work in the garden and my art studio there, out of the fog. My art studio hides under the redwoods and I am currently creating a printmaking environment for monoprints & woodblock prints there. I also enjoy an occasional moment 'en plein aire' with my watercolors or acrylics as the orchard and redwood trees have always been my muses... 'Blessed are the Children who dwell amongst the Giants'
Why the Owner Chose Mendocino:
When my father, Lucky Lennox, fled New Orleans for San Francisco in '69, he eventually found himself on the Mendocino Coast, particularly hanging out at a Zen commune on site of an old goat farm and orchard, called Big River Farm. Twelve years later, after a return to his home and a life as a Mississippi River Ship Pilot, Lucky returned to Mendocino and bought Big River Farm. Within a few years he met Debbie, and before the end of the decade they had two homeborn children, my sister Anna and I. While Lucky is now retired and enjoys the silence of the Redwoods in Comptche, my mother Debbie and I keep the Farm together and manage the rentals. While the dwellings have been brought to the standard of modern-day comfort, to this day relics of the old Farm and the Zen commune are noticeable throughout in the buildings and meditative spaces. The garden has remained communal, while the various cabins have been claimed. The Zendo, at the heart of the property, is continuing to welcome visitors and provide the rural country 'Getaway' experience.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The Zendo is unique for its seclusion amongst the Redwoods and cherry trees, and yet has beautiful views of the forest understory out of its multitude of windows. Recent renovations to the kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom have created a feel of vacation comfort while still maintaining the rustic air of this country home. Bring sturdy shoes as there is a short walk downhill to the Zendo. And not to forget- the woodstove. To Mendocino locals like ourselves, there's nothing like kicking back in front of our home fireplace to make a good end to another day in paradise..
- Primary: 7078137886
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Dining room with a redwood meadow view!
Living room with comfy sofas and woodstove (firewood included).
Living room with indoor fireplace. (Not shown: flat-screen, dvds, and movies.
Looking out from bedroom into living room area.
Stone-tile floors and nice hot shower in this recently remodeled bathroom.
Spacious kitchen with full amenities for in-home feasts and fun!
Living room/hall area looking into the kitchen and outside at patio.
Cozy queen-size bed with redwood-view.
Lounge space in private bedroom.
Other bathroom view.
Perfect for big abalone dinners!
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Monday, October 14, 2013
Get a rental quote, then book it!