Beach Front Home Over Looking Beautiful Chance Harbour Beach
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Melmerby Beach Park house description
Reader's digest version:
1. main level rents for $2800/week and has 2 private bedrooms (king bed and queen bed) and semi private loft (super comfy lazyboy double pull out with blow up pillow top) and public living room (same as loft).
2. Lower level ($1200/week with whole house rental and $1500/ week by itself) is also available which has huge recreation room, bar, small kitchen, 1 bedroom, living room pullout, a workshop that can be setup as sleeping area with large blowup bed, a bathroom.
This home was completed in the summer of 2012. It was designed to create a unique space that inspired relaxation and serenity. Built to entertain large groups or a quiet weekend away for two, this property has it. With fine finishes and stunning views of the famous Northumberland Strait, you will not regret a weeks visit to this magical beach front home.
With the main level of this home perched high above the dune, you can sit on the very large wrap around deck, sipping cocktails under the umbrella with plain view of the entire beach and a close eye on the kids. The over water sunrises and sunsets are some of the most beautiful in the world. The vibrant and crisp colors of turquoise water meeting the golden sands and brilliant greens surround this property.
Inside the home you will find a magnificent chef's kitchen that faces out to the ocean in an open concept great room that graces two thirds of the floor space on the main level. With 17 foot ceilings and a 14 foot high stone fire place, the beauty is not limited to the beach. With dark walnut floors, bright white heritage trim, multi colored slate flooring and stone throughout, the colors are as vibrant and brilliant inside the house as out.
The main level rental is roughly 2500 square feet including the loft that overlooks the great room. The master bedroom features a king bed, wood lined ceilings, contours matching the roof lines and an exquisite view of the ocean through your private doors to the large wrap-around deck. The room also features a 5 Piece bathroom with two person jacuzzi, custom built walk in shower, and double vanity.
The main level guest bedroom features a queen size bed, roof contour lines, large closet and large bright windows. This bedroom has a 3/4 bath (toilet, vanity, shower) just outside of its door which is at the end of a private hallway. A linen closet can be found tucked in the corner here so one can slip in and out of the bathroom or grab sheets or a towel going unnoticed by anyone in the great room.
The loft with semi-hidden stair case behind the fire place makes for a suitable, cozy third sleeping area on the main level. It is open and perched high above the main living room. I would not recommend it for the elderly but is fine for kids and adventurous types. It is good for a young couple or the last people up! It has its own skylight which provides a bright and well-lit environment during the day but won't bother you in the morning or at night. There is a chaise lounge with pull out bed. This bed features an automatic blow up pillow top that makes for a very comfortable, double mattress size sleeping arrangement.
The sun room in the front is part of the great room but in its own alcove at the front of the house. The deck on the exterior wraps all around this room so from the inside out, it's as if this extends the interior floor space another 900 square feet. With two doors from the sun room to the deck and another double door off the dining area, guests can move freely from inside to out. In the sun room there is a large sectional couch facing out to the ocean with a 180 degree view of the Northumberland. This couch also has a pull out, blow up pillow top, double sized bed in it. This makes for another great sleeping area with an impressive view of sunrise and sunset from your bed. For the early riser, this is a great place to be woken by the sunrise and be the first one on the beach for a morning jaunt.
The beach stone fire place, dining area and large chef's kitchen with bar style island are all in the great room proper. The kitchen sits on the backside of the room viewing out to the ocean so the chef in the family can enjoy a view of the water while they prepare drinks or dinner behind the island. The fireplace is visible from all angles in the room and faces towards the dining area and sunroom in the front. There is seating surrounding the fire place which makes this a great place to retire to after dinner for conversation or to enjoy the main room TV that is on the wall next to stone column. The dining area is off to the side of the great room and has a set of double doors leading to the deck which creates a wonderful view for dinner with a full wall of windows to compliment.
The main level has a laundry/mudroom, 3 central vac outlets including a sweep away in the kitchen, the main level common bathroom down the hall to the bedrooms and the entry way leading to the mid level main entry. The main entry sits between the two floors with a grand ceiling height and closet space to greet your guests and give you a place to shake the sand off before proceeding to the main or lower level.
The lower level has a closed-in entry way with an alcove. This area is also used for coat storage during large social events. The entry, lower stairs and the alcove itself are all completed in slate for durability and aesthetics.
The house has been set up that the lower level is partially closed off with a set of double doors found at the foot of the stairs. These double doors, when open, create an archway to the remaining space of this level. This level includes another full kitchen, bath, bedroom and great room. This space is available for rent along with the main floor. The bedroom and bathroom are off to one side of the basement with the kitchen, sun room and recreation room all in one. This level has two doors to the exterior and also features a great view of the Northumberland. This level is reserved for use by the owners but may be available for rental upon request.
The deck features two 8 person tables with sun umbrellas, a BBQ and several lounge chairs for guests to enjoy the sun and view of the beach. It has a large set of stairs down to the front lawn with the beach only a few steps away in your bare feet. The house is surrounded with a wooden beam wall that has gently sloping stairs to the front lawn and entrances.
The back yard is steadily becoming more landscaped with lots of parking, wood storage and a food garden. The sides, front and rear of the house have full thick grass for kids to run around and enjoy the spring summer and fall. The path to the dune stairs is filled out with poplar trees and sapling birch. Sea grass greets you on top of the dunes to welcome you to a walk down the weathered wooden stairs to arrive on the golden sands. Take your lawn chairs down for the day and leave them there to return later for the nightly bon fires with the beach community. Fire works are common here and singing can be heard from the deck on some occasions.
A large propane burner and BBQ are at the guest's disposal. Large cooking pots can be found in the kitchen which make a lobster, corn or mussel boil an easy understanding. You could even transport this gear and a fold up table to the beach and have dinner on the sands.
Unfortunately it is difficult for us to allow pets due to allergies and potential damage to the beautiful walnut floor. Special conditions may be arranged and is worth discussion with us.
Private chefs, cleaning services and baby sitters can be arranged to come into the house if the guests so desire. If you have any other questions please ask.
- 5000 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Private Chef
- Housekeeper Optional
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14, Beds for 6-14
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Air Conditioning:
- Linens Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Towels Provided:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Deck / Patio:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Away From It All
Location & View
This house is front row center on a large sized, semi private, fine sand beach. Walk off the deck & over the dune to arrive on this magnificent beach. Swim the warmest waters north of the Carolina's...moreless
- Water View
- Beach View
- Ocean View
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Cross Country Skiing
- Water Tubing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Ice Skating
- Hunting Small Game
- Freshwater Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Deepsea Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Live Theater
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Eco Tourism
- Bird Watching
- Recreation Center
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Whale Watching
- Scenic Drives
- The Northumberland's best kept secret! Chance Harbour Beach is Located 7 Minutes away from the famous Melmerby Beach Park. Unlike Melmerby, Chance Harbour Beach is semi private. This allows you and your family to enjoy a more secluded and relaxing day on the sand away from the crowds. This small beach community features a few all season homes augmented by a countless number of small and large cottages that have remained in family hands for generations. Two swimming rafts are set up off the shore and are inside the reef protected swimming area. The sandy shore extends into the water to make for a very pleasant swimming experience right outside the door to this beach front home. 5 Minutes away by car is a small country store that carries all of your basic needs including a wine, beer and spirits section. At special request, the fridge here always contains a cold bottle of bubbly for those long hot days of summer. Pick up that whipping cream you forgot in town or stop in for a coffee. The town of Pictou is a 30 minute drive from Chance harbour. Here you will find the historic ship Hector on the Pictou waterfront and several nice restaurants. A stroll on the water front, then a walk through the town to discover the beautiful homes once owned by famous merchants and sea captains make the town of Pictou a wonderful place to visit. Close by is the beautiful Pictou Lodge and their famous Sunday brunch. And just around the bend, you will find the PEI ferry offering fast service to the beautiful and famous Prince Edward Island; home of Anne of Green Gables. 10 Minutes away by car, you will find the equally historic town of New Glasgow. Known best for ship building and heavy industry, the town still holds its Main Street charm with idyllic paths along the river and many fine restaurants and shops to visit. In the antique stores you might be lucky and find locally made depression glass or stop by a crafts store and suss out a hand knit wool scarf made by local hands with local wool. A weekend market is offered in the summer which gives you access to the best of local Nova Scotian produce, meats, home made jams, jellys, pickles and crafts. Stop at Hebels for fantastic continental cuisine or The Bistro for a fusion flare. If chowder is your game, many local restaurants sport some of the best the province has to offer. Don't forget to try the bakeries which dot this town for fresh muffins and rolls to take back to the shore. An espresso or cappuccino, while you wait for them to cool coming out of the oven, is highly recommended! If sea food on the beach is what you desire, Crabby J's or the Fish Monger at Sobey's would be glad to oblige. Find local shell fish and the best lobster on the eastern sea board. If it's oysters or lobster you have come looking for, make sure to talk to us (the owners) as we have a private line on the best this coast has to offer. Many provincial parks dot the coast and make for wonderful day trips or a place to take a morning stroll. Powell Park is a 3 Minute drive from the cottage with wonderful walking trails and scenic views of the inner bay of Little Harbour. It's a short drive from here to Melmerby Beach park where you can experience one of the most beautiful beaches in all of Canada. With gentle sloping sands, impressive dunes, magnificient underwater sand bars, and wild life abounding, this park is exquisite for a day trip with the family. There are two local golf courses with one only 10 minutes away. The Abercrombie Country Club features a gorgeous course with well maintained grounds. Please request additional information from us at the time of booking and we will be happy to provide it. If a walk or a jog on the beach is not up to your speed, there is a newly built YMCA facility in New Glasgow that features family passes. The facility includes a top quality fitness center, large swimming facility set to accommodate all level of swimmers and indoor arenas. Just a 5 minute walk outside of the cottage community there is a community tennis court for use by local properties. As the cottage is located on a private road, traffic is less of a concern. As this beach is enjoyed greatly by the kids and grand kids of local cottages, the community take slow speeds and driver caution very seriously. You will quickly find a knock on the back door if you do not adhere to this rule. The neighbors are not shy to give you a talking to on speed when it comes to the beach road and child safety! ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Chance Harbour Beach House
Chance Harbour Beach House
We were planning a family reunion to meet cousins from Cape Breton. It was important to us to find a large home that could comfortable house our family for the week. Eight of us were traveling from Massachusetts & four from Michigan including my 86 y.o. aunt. We searched the VRBO website for months looking for the perfect home for our trip and we found it at Chance Harbour !!!!! What a beautiful home. So large and spacious with unbelievable craftmanship. There was plenty of room for family gatherings but also areas to slip away on your on for some quiet time. The finishes are very high end and the chefs kitchen was a joy to be in. Many times during the week we had 4 cooks in the kitchen all busy creating their own specialities without any trouble. The space is that big. With an excellent stove top, double ovens, 2 dishwashers an a massive kitchen island for prep space. It is equiped with all the things you need to feed a large group. One day we had visitors and fit 17 people around the diningroom table for dinner without any problem. The family room space was a great place to gather for conversation & relax and the view of the ocean from the wall of windows drew us in so that we didn't want to leave. The sunrises & sunsets are magnificent & could be enjoyed from so many areas of this home including the expanded deck. This deck was also so well though out....it had 2 very large tables with umbrellas and plenty of chairs with comfortable thick cushions that could seat 16 !!!! We spent many hours out there enjoying the views of the beach and each other. Mark & Tristan were so friendly & helpful, making sure we were comfortable in their home. They were readily available by phone or text to answer any questions that we had throughout the week. They also gave us many tips for places to go & must sees in the area. It was the perfect place for a very memorable vacation that we will always remember. I highly recommend this magnificent home for your next vacation you will not be disappointed !!!!!!
- Guest Carol (Plymouth, Mass.)
- Date of stay 08/10/13
- Review Submitted 10/06/13
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, age 55+, sightseeing, romantic getaway, girls getaway, adventure seekers, families with young children.
Owner response: Carol, Tom and family: we were so lucky to have your family as guests. You took such great care of our house and all rentals this summer worked out amazing. We tried to create a custom experience with the welcome/check-in and make sure you were looked after. Thank you for the wonderful pictures and please look us up and come visit if you are in the area again. Best regards Mark & Tristan
Fantastic rental on beautiful Chance Harbour Beach
Fantastic rental on beautiful Chance Harbour Beach
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this gorgeous new home situated on Chance Harbour Beach. The beach is one of NS's most beautiful, and the area is a quiet, family oriented location perfect for relaxing and enjoying all the beach has to offer. We rented the lower level of the home, which features large windows that overlook the beach, a very spacious open kitchen/bar/dining area and living room, nicely furnished bedroom and bathroom. The home is air conditioned and is truly equipped with anything you might need – they really have thought of everything (even a ping pong table!). It is located close to the town of New Glasgow, near a convenience store and a short drive to the scenic town of Pictou, and other beaches in the area. Our hosts were absolutely wonderful and we definitely plan to return in future.
- Guest doublejack (Calgary, AB)
- Date of stay 08/02/13
- Review Submitted 09/05/13
Owner response: Thank you both for coming. We truly enjoyed getting to know you and hope you will come back to visit or even find a place of your own. We have a special spot here and are glad to share it. I lived in the lower level at the end of the summer during a small storm and loved it! It was so cozy. Look us up next summer!
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
7 night min stay
Discounts: 14 nights or more: C$360 Nightly
Additional information about rental rates
Unfortunately we are not able to accomodate most pets due to allergies and potential for damage.
50% deposit to secure booking prior to 90 days out. 100% of deposit inside of 90 days. Return of 50% deposit if cancelled 90 days prior to stay. No return for cancellations inside of 90 days.
Additional Fees and Taxes:
No Taxes charged at this time
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Halifax Stanfield International Airport at 140 Kilometres
- Nearest Ferry: Ferry taking car passengers to beautiful PEI at 15 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: 104 highway at 15 Kilometres
- Nearest Beach: Chance Harbour Beach at 10 Metres
- Nearest Barpub: The Dock at 10 Kilometres
- Nearest Ski: Ski Wentworth at 80 Kilometres
- Nearest Golf: Abercrombie (out of two local courses) at 10 Kilometres
- Nearest Restaurant: Hebel's or The Bistro at 10 Kilometres
Year Purchased: 2012
- Primary: + 902-220-2288
- Secondary: + 902-489-3001
- Tertiary: 9024253806
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Chance Harbour Beach House
Sunset from the deck
Sunroom pullout bed
Stairs to loft
View from loft
Winter is beautiful too!
Winter is beautiful too!
lower level sitting area
lower level washroom has urinal ladies!
another view of the new bar and ping pong table
beach with boats moored out front
Loft white coach pulls out to double bed
Winter is beautiful too!
The new Bar and Kitchen in lower level
lower level sitting area and bar in background
lower level has queen bed and desk with beautiful windows
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Friday, October 11, 2013
3 Bedroom / 3.5 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.