VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
In your inquiry, give us some brief info about who will be staying in our house. We like to get to know you a bit before we confirm your stay, as this house is very much our home.
We're located in South Nags Head at MP 20.
Stay tuned for more pictures and videos. We have more upgrades planned before the 2015 high season.
- LAYOUT: 4 bedroom, 2 bath. All bedrooms are the same size, and located in each corner of the house. Each pair of rooms shares a bathroom. The common area (combined kitchen/living room) is in the center. There is a screened porch and open deck on the back, plus a full deck across the front--including a crow's nest for ocean and sound views. Be sure to do some stargazing from the crows nest. It's usually dark enough to see the Milky Way and the occasional meteor.
- HOW MUCH? Use the instant quote generator. There is no tax. The cleaning fee is $100. The pet fee is a flat $50 for up to two dogs. PAYMENTS/DEPOSIT? Payments may be split into as many as three installments (that's all the automated system allows). We ask that you pay the first payment as soon as possible to secure your reservation and block the calendar.
- HOW FAR TO THE BEACH? Approximately two blocks...from door to sand. Walking at a leisurely pace will get you to the water in under three minutes. Take a look at the video we posted of the walk to the beach if you need a visual. We're uniquely positioned directly across from the beach access point across the road. The bridge that you see in the photos is simply to allow passage through the verge and across the drainage easement/turtle habitat. Just FYI: This road is quiet, but children should be supervised when crossing it.
- DO YOU ALLOW PETS? Yes, we allow mild-mannered, house-trained dogs. Two max. No cats--we're allergic. CAN MY DOG PLAY ON THE BEACH? Yes. Leashed pets are allowed on Nags Head beaches year round. Leashes must be no longer than 10 feet.
- DO I HAVE TO BRING MY OWN BEDSHEETS? Yes, you must bring your own bedsheets and towels. Here are the linens we do provide: two bath towels in each bathroom, hand towels, kitchen towels, bathroom rugs, comforters/duvets, and plenty of pillows and extra blankets. If you don't want to bring your own, reasonably priced linen services that offer free pickup and delivery are available throughout the OBX.
- WHEN DO I CHECK IN AND CHECK OUT? We have flexible check-in/out times. This means you can arrive and depart whenever you want on your designated days, within reason. We don't usually attempt same-day turnovers, as it's inconvenient for our independent cleaner.
- WHAT IS YOUR ADDRESS? We'll give you the address when we receive your final payment. We're located right at milepost 20 in South Nags Head. Take a look at the map...it's pretty accurate. We're about 3 miles from Jennette's Pier (to the North) and about 3 miles from Bodie Island Lighthouse (to the South).
- HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN I BRING? No more than 8. It's a small house. We don't think you'll be comfortable with more people than that, and you may have plumbing issues.
- DO YOU OFFER REFUNDS OR TRAVEL INSURANCE? Our rental agreement says that you must give 30 days notice to receive a full refund, but we are very flexible. We understand that life happens, and just ask that you give us as much notice as you can. We also offer full refunds if a hurricane or other named storm ruins your vacation. We do not offer refunds for rainy weather, as that's just the nature of summer on the coast.
- NIGHTLIFE?! Ready to party? This isn't the place. If you need to throw down...stay farther North. The closest bar is a mile and a half away from here, and South Nags Head can frequently feel isolated. This is a good place to read a book and fall asleep in the sun.
- CAN I CLEAN THE HOUSE MYSELF? No, you may not.
- ACCESSIBILITY: We do not have a ramp or elevator at this time. One must be able to navigate 12 steps in order to enter the house. There are no stairs or boardwalk to access the beach...just a medium-sized dune. One can drive a car across the street to the beach access and pull up right next to the dune if necessary.
- WHY HAVEN'T YOU ANSWERED MY INQUIRY?: It's not you, it's me. We get a lot of inquiries. It's impossible to reply to everyone in the high season..but we try. If we didn't get back to you it's likely for one of these reasons: you don't provide any information about yourselves in your inquiry (we do get what we believe to be spam, so please appear to be a real person), your party is too large, you are obviously too young, your message makes no sense, you have too many pets, we have reason to believe our rental may not meet your needs, we are waiting to hear back from other renters who have half-committed to days that overlap with yours, or we are busy with our day jobs. During the high season, we often have to pick and choose who we respond to. If it's clear that you did not read the listing, we won't feel compelled to respond.
- I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! Please ask. We try to always respond to the wide variety of questions asked in the queries. We can also send you additional pictures if you need those in order to make your decision. We all work hard for our vacation time, and we understand that you need your beach trip to be the best. We sometimes suggest people go elsewhere if we think they have their heart set on a particular experience that our location doesn't provide.
A variety of games, puzzles, and books are provided. ...moreless
Non Smoking Only:
NO SMOKING INDOORS. We'd prefer no smoking on the premises at all--OBX is prone to fires. But, if you must smoke...clean up after yourself, don't burn down the parkland, and try to quit smoking. You can do it!...moreless
Well-mannered and house-trained dogs are welcome. Two dogs max. No cats. We will know if a cat has been in the house, so don't try anything foolish....moreless
Wheelchairs unfortunately cannot easily access this property at this time....moreless
You must bring your own bed sheets, pillowcases, beach towels, and extra bath towels. We do provide: kitchen towels, pillows, comforters/duvets, plenty of extra blankets, hand towels, bathroom rugs, and 2 bath towels in each bathroom....moreless
Two bath towels per bathroom (4 total) are provided, as well as hand towels and a starter roll of toilet paper. On occasion, we will provide you with our own homemade soap....moreless
We provide stainless steel dog bowls, as well as two different sizes of dog beds....moreless
We have books, and some of them participate in Bookcrossing.org. This means you may be able to take a book with you if you don't finish it....moreless
Satellite / Cable
We have a few outside toys: aging boogeyboards and some pails and shovels. Will be acquiring more over time....moreless
There's an old Atari2600. What more could you want!...moreless
Away From It All
Local Services & Businesses
360-degree views from the crows nest. You can usually hear the beach with the windows open, and from either deck....moreless
Directly in front of the house is a public road leading to the beach (3 min walk). You can just barely see the ocean while sitting in the living room, and you can see it clearly from the crows nest....moreless
You can see the park land and sound from the back deck and crows next....moreless
Sports & Adventure Activities
Table with bench seating for 6 in the dining area, plus 3 barstools at the kitchen counter...moreless
Seating for 6 people
Dryer gets very hot. Advise using the easy care setting....moreless
WiFi available. Don't hesitate to call or email us if you have any issues with the wifi. We are tech savvy and can walk you through troubleshooting....moreless
Iron & Board
Couch, loveseat, two chairs. A few end tables and a coffee table....moreless
Space for 4 cars. Keep the number of cars you bring to a minimum--and out of the road--as a courtesy to our year-round neighbors. The road is very narrow....moreless
Winter & Spring Jan 1 - May 23, 2015 2 night min stay
$125 Fri, Sat
Late Spring May 24 - Jun 13, 2015 2 night min stay
$150 Fri, Sat
Early Summer Jun 14 - Jun 27, 2015 2 night min stay
$250 Fri, Sat
Mid Summer Jun 28 - Aug 8, 2015 2 night min stay
$325 Fri, Sat
Late Summer Aug 9 - Aug 22, 2015 2 night min stay
$285 Fri, Sat
Early Fall Aug 23 - Sep 5, 2015 2 night min stay
$175 Fri, Sat
Fall & Winter Sep 6 - Dec 31, 2015 2 night min stay
$125 Fri, Sat
Additional information about rental rates
*Note: Pet fee is $50. Two dogs MAX. No cats.
For us, this is more home and less rental property. We don't offer special rates just to fill up, and we sometimes want peak season times for ourselves. But feel free to inquire despite what the calendar shows, as (for the outside viewer) it does not differentiate between rentals and time we've blocked for ourselves. Last-minute rentals welcome.
Pay with confidence
Paying through this free service protects your payment up to $10,000 against listing fraud. If you are not paying through HomeAway Payments always call the owner at the number listed on our website and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.
Far enough south to be secluded and quiet, but still a short drive to everything you need. Check out: Wright Brothers' Memorial, Jockey's Ridge State Park, Bodie Island Lighthouse, piers, and great food nearby. Take a short drive to Manteo for a dog-friendly, walkable town with lots of history, shopping, food, and museum. Go for a day trip to Hatteras, or take the ferry to Okacroke and back.
Year Purchased: 2012
About the owner: We live and work in Northern Virginia, and are frequently doing so in Nags Head. When we can't be here, we enjoy sharing our home with others. All of your proceeds go back into home improvements.
We love to cook, garden, and do as many DIY projects as possible. We hope that, over time, our OBX house reflects our interests and philosophies. It won't be unusual to find homemade soap or jam waiting for you when you check in. This is very much our home, and we love being here. Respect it like you would your own home.
Why the Owner Chose Nags Head: We love the surrounding area. It's quiet and secluded, the beaches are clean, and there is easy access to restaurants, bars, recreation, and shopping. The house is close enough to the beach that you won't mind the walk, but far enough away that it shouldn't wash away any time soon. The Outer Banks has a small town feel...it's quiet and people are friendly. Don't forget to wave to folks, and be courteous to our neighbors' desire for peace and quiet. If you need to get away from your fellow vacationers, take a half-hour's walk South on the beach; the houses disappear and the beach becomes secluded park land.
The Unique Benefits at this House: Ocean and sound views. Dark skies at night. Plenty of room in the shady understory to: wash off the sand in the outdoor shower; to clean the fish you just caught; to store all the outdoor toys; relax on the porch swing; or have a beer at the picnic table. There's also a crows nest, a front deck, and two porches on the back.