Old Hawaii 2BR Ocean View Home Perched Above Rainforest Canopy (Maliko
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:3-7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Haiku cottage description
Note: Available as a 1BR or 2BR. Rate for 1BR is $198; 2BR is $260.
This eclectic antique Hawaiian cottage is perched atop a scenic jungle gorge with breathtaking views in every direction. Open and breezy; attention to detail shines from every facet. If you’re looking for a unique and authentic Maui vacation, Maliko Retreat should be among your top contenders.
Attention to detail permeates every aspect of Maliko Retreat. From the remarkable personal attention the owners give each and every guest, to the structural craftsmanship, restoration touches, furnishings and guest amenities, Maliko Retreat is clearly a labor of love for owners Sydney and Maurice Smith.
This uniquely Maui home was originally hand-built in the time of Old Hawaii from old-growth redwood and cedar. Recently lovingly restored by the owners, all of the original details and ornamental woodwork have been retained.
Added touches follow the theme of incorporating natural and re-purposed materials. A few examples include hardwood railings milled from a fallen Pu’unene monkeypod, tile and stone work incorporate river rock from the stream below, antique leaded glass doors and windows were reclaimed from plantation era estates, and the original cast-iron claw-foot soaking tub (with a killer view!) These are only a few of many; the Maliko Retreat cottage has a top-to-bottom list of unique touches, detail craftsmanship and interesting points of character.
*Designed in harmony with the land*
Original builders in this time understood the land intimately; they had to be connected to the environment in everything they did (out of necessity.) The house was originally constructed without access to modern conveniences that we now take for grated – including electricity. The result is a design that masterfully harnesses the natural light and our dependable tradewinds to the home’s full advantage.
Strategically placed ornate woodwork air vents are more than fine finish details – when coupled with the open and airy floorpaln, the home breathes with the valley, cooling the home comfortably as it delivers an added bonus: a symphony of intoxicating scents from the flowering Maui rainforest below.
The living room has a cathedral ceiling with floor to ceiling windows. The effect is powerful: Natural light streams into the home all day long, and you’re presented with a deep verdant scene of rainforest canopy unfolding into the background of blue ocean, West Maui Mountains and Molokai island. Views from the home also include Haleakala mountain and a seasonal waterfall.
*Waterfall and pool*
Being located on acres of undeveloped land, and adjacent to an even larger parcel of undeveloped forest, the home and property are incredibly peaceful and quiet. The only sounds you’re likely to hear from your private retreat are the songbirds, wind, and passing showers as they patter on the rainforest canopy below.
The lanais have multiple tables and comfortable chairs, and the quantity and brightness of the stars and Milky Way are spectacular at night. When evening rains come in, the lanai is such a spectacular spot to watch the raindrops stream though the sunlight, quenching the jungle’s insatiable thirst to grow. And since most of the rain on the North Shore comes from our daily tradewind cycle, it typically (and conveniently!) blows in late afternoon and overnight, delivering the vibrant afternoon rainbows that the windward side of Hawaiian islands are famous for.
Birders will especially appreciate the perspective, and the variety and quantity of birds that can be seen from the canopy vantage point. Pueo (native owls), nene (Hawaiian geese), plovers, stilts, majiros, hwamei, egrets, Java sparrow, Japanese white eye, doves and mynah are just a few of the many species of birds that call this area home. A large flock of egrets migrates twice daily past the cottage, while the feeder attracts smaller birds to the home all day long. (Binoculars are included.)
Sydney and Maurice are exceptional hosts. They treat every guest as if they were family, welcoming all personally and freely offering unbridled hospitality and Aloha alongside their extensive knowledge of the area. Most requests that you might have they will graciously accommodate – they even offer to stock the kitchen before before your arrival with your list of groceries for just the cost of the grocery store receipt! (I suggest letting them pick some unique local fruits, veggies and fish that you might not otherwise encounter.)
The significant value added from owners this passionate about the paradise they lovingly steward can’t be overstated. Sydney and Maurice deliver a depth of genuine Maui experience that you’re guaranteed to count high among your cherished Maui vacation memories.
Being in a steep river-cut valley has protected the land immediately boarding Maliko stream from becoming plantation monoculture for pineapple, sugar cane or grazing cattle. Instead you will be treated to an enchantingly diverse jungle forest. Wild blooming tropical flowers, vines, palms, gingers, jungle plants and fruits. Guests are encouraged to pick fruit and flowers (and you will be welcomed with a basket of freshly picked fruit at checkin as well!)
There are also small picnic areas, a stream with waterfalls and private natural pools so enticing, that even the most bashful will comfortably let go of their worldly cares to indulge in a skinny dip. Ancient Hawaiians used this valley, too – and there are even ancient Lo'i and pictographs that the owners can bring you to view. The grounds are truly an untouched slice of natural Maui rainforest.
The property is also home to the Maliko Estate Coffee farm – but you won’t find any clear-cut fields or mechanized rows of coffee farming – the hand-picked coffee grows in harmony with the jungle surroundings. Maliko Estate Coffee is shade-grown below the undisturbed lush jungle canopy. You can take a tour of the farm – or simply enjoy the half pound of natural farm-fresh coffee included with your stay!
The owners offer guests many informative activities and tours. Impromptu shorter tours are often freely given, while more comprehensive tours and activities are charged for. Fees are modest considering they are private and high quality – they also get rave reviews from past visitors. Tours offered include a Maliko Estate Coffee tour (you’ll take home a pound of fresh coffee), a basket weaving excursion, wild tea gathering and brewing, and “salad dressings from the jungle” tour where you gather edible leaves fruits and flowers to top your salads with.
- 1500 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Pets Not Allowed
- Non Smoking Only
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Coffee Maker
- Clothes Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Hair Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Towels Provided
- Linens Provided
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
- DVD Player
- Lawn / Garden
- Lanai / Gazebo
- Outdoor Grill
- Deck / Patio
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
- Water Skiing
- Surf Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
- Jet Skiing
- Eco Tourism
- Bird Watching
- Scenic Drives
- Paddle Boating
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Botanical Garden
- Winery Tours
- Horseback Riding
- Deepsea Fishing
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Wildlife Viewing
- Whale Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Do any of these describe you? - Usually active on vacation - Plan on seeing it all - Love hiking, waterfalls & adventure - Prefer being closer to nature - Seek authenticity in travel - Plan lots of surfing/windsurf/kiteboard - Escape touristy hustle and bustle - Enjoy experiencing how people are living alternative/green/natural lifestyles - Like to get away from it all – but still be close enough to drive back in Summary Maui’s North Shore is less developed, less crowded, has cooler days, and is in a more natural state than the popular resort areas of South and West Maui. With a rich agricultural history, the North Shore is now primarily residential with large multi-acre lots. Celebrities and the ultra wealthy live side-by-side with multi-generation Hawaiian families. Stunning views, uncrowded beaches and an eclectic collection of unique and interesting folks dot the landscape. Much of the land and virtually all of the oceanfront property is protected from significant development, and there are strict zoning laws that prevent the sprawl and population density found in the more popular visitor destinations. Since development is restricted here, you won’t find any large hotels or resorts. Lodging options are much more down-to-earth: you can rent a house or vacation rental, or stay at one of only three small boutique hotels. Location Advantages The North Shore is strategically located for visitors to conveniently explore the natural sites and attractions on the Road to Hana and Upcountry Maui, while also being close to world-class beaches. Avid hikers, adventurers, beachcombers and surfers won’t run out of things to do no matter how long they stay on the North Shore. The North Shore is also quite centrally located, and since the island is relatively small, it is also located within moderate drive times to the rest that Maui has to offer. Drive Times The first thing to know (and this applies to any location you choose to stay) is that those who love nature, hiking, sightseeing, exploring and adventure will find themselves all over our incredibly diverse island. Second is that outside of the immediate resort-area congestion, drives on Maui are not boring commutes like they are back home – virtually every drive is incredibly scenic, and more often than not, drives to a specific destination serve up unexpected and enjoyable tours en route. This is especially true on the North Shore, and outside of the more developed ares, because open view planes show off Maui’s vast geographic diversity. Drive Times North Shore vs. Resort Areas - Closer/avoid traffic bottlenecks to: ~ Haleakala National Park ~ Piiholo Ranch Ziplines ~ Lavender Farms ~ Winery ~ Kula ~ Ulapalakua ~ Upcountry Piiholo Zipline - Much closer: ~ Road to Hana ~ North Shore Beaches ~ Paia Town ~ Makawao Town - About the same: ~ Airport ~ Iao Valley ~ Kahului ~ Hospital ~ Costco, Big Box Stores, Mall ~ Surf rental The only places further are the resorts themselves: - It takes around 10 minutes more to drive to either resort area from the North Shore than it would staying in one resort area and driving to explore the other (a must-do!) A straight drive, it takes about 30 minutes to reach Kihei from Paia, and about 50 minutes to reach Lahaina from Paia. Beaches The North Shore has many uncrowded, dramatic and beautiful beaches. Surfing, sunbathing, swimming and world-famous surf spots are plentiful. The biggest wave surfed in the world most years is at Jaws in Peahi. Hookipa is Mecca for windsurfers around the world. Kanaha is the most popular place to learn windsurfing, and Kite Beach is where the sport of kitesurfing was literally invented! All are found on Maui’s North Shore. (There are photos and links to articles on all these locations) Most tourists will drive right by these beaches – if you don’t decide to stay on the North Shore, you should still consider setting aside at least one day to explore a couple of these these great local beaches. Some Favorite North Shore Beaches Baby Beach -Great for kids, lap swimmers and beachcombers. Also very scenic. Ho’okipa - You can watch some of the best windsurfers in the world here. Also has very regular surf breaks. Baldwin Cove - Calm cove, great for escaping the wind when the sand is blowing! Baldwin Beach Park - A long, sandy beach with plenty of parking, lifeguards and facilities. Tavares Beach - Popular with locals. Good surf break, too. Kuau Cove (Beach at Mama’s Fish House) - A small tidepool beach. Kids love exploring here. Paia Bay - Great for advanced boogie boarders. Also has a good surf break....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Best vacation ever!
Best vacation ever!
Our host was very nice and had good recommendations. She was responsive and very helpful in answering our questions about nearby attractions/activities or anything at all. The house had a bright warm feeling, was clean, and well cared for with lots of amenities. The photos of the property were accurate but pales in comparison to the real thing! The view of the rainforest canopy, hills, mountains and ocean were gorgeous. My boyfriend and I felt at ease in the house and it was sometimes hard to leave because it was so relaxing to just hang out on the lanai. We appreciated cooking nice meals in the sweet kitchen and being able to wash laundry before heading back to CA. We really had a lovely vacation. Mahalo to our host for sharing such a beautiful space! My boyfriend and I would definitely stay there again.
- Guest M&Z
- Date of stay 02/25/14
- Review Submitted 03/05/14
Recommended for: Girls getaway, romantic getaway, adventure seekers, sightseeing.
We enjoyed the privacy, stars, unique Hawaiian style, abundant fresh fruit trees, wonderful hospitality, and excellent local tour and recommendations.
- Guest leslie (san rafael, ca. us)
- Date of stay 10/22/13
- Review Submitted 10/31/13
Recommended for: Age 55+, pet owners, romantic getaway.
Our Stay in Paradise
Our Stay in Paradise
Beautiful, breathtaking, serene, comfortable are adjectives that describe this amazing home that my boyfriend and I were blessed to experience last June. While planning our 2 week stay on Maui we had looked at many places to stay online and when we saw Sydney's place we wanted to look no further. We booked her home for 5 days, but would have loved to stay longer if it were available. When we arrived we found so much more than what we saw online. Sydney welcomed us and gave us a tour of her home showing us that everything that we could possibly need was here. When we entered her home a beautiful Hawaiian CD was playing and a welcoming message to us was written on a chalk board in the living room along with an exquisite flower arrangement she had created for us with flowers from her land. We woke up in the morning and looked out the master bedroom's picture window to the most beautiful view of Mount Haleakala at sunrise. What could be better? When we cooked our meals the windowed kitchen looked out to the sea and the tropical valley below. Sydney gave us her tour of the land the next day in her off road utility vehicle. The history that Sydney shared with us was very interesting adding to our perfect Island vacation. Anyone who has ever traveled knows how important it is to have something you really need when you're away from home. We were so, so pleased to find a coffee maker with timer, filtered water pitcher, sewing kit, washer/dryer, laundry detergent, bath soap and shampoo, aluminum foil, saran wrap, ink-pens, paper, books, music, DVD's and more! The home was spotless with plenty of clean towels and linens. Waking up in the middle of the night, was made easier with many dimmer switches to light our way. We can't thank you enough, Sydney, and hope to return to your remarkable, heavenly place in Paradise another day.
- Guest Linda (Seattle, WA)
- Date of stay 06/23/13
- Review Submitted 09/02/13
Recommended for: Age 55+, girls getaway, pet owners, romantic getaway, adventure seekers, families with young children, sightseeing, families with teenagers.
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
3 night min stay
Dec 20 - Jan 8
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
$198/nt. for 1-2 Guests as 1BR
$260/nt. for 3-4 Guests as 2BR
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Kahului (OGG) at 11 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Baldwin Ave; Kaupakalua Rd at 0.5 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Baldwin Beach Park, Paia Bay, Secret Beach & More at 7 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Many in Makawao, Paia & Haiku at 3 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Many in Makawao, Paia & Haiku at 3 Miles
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Monday, January 27, 2014
2 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.