Frank Lloyd Wright Overnight Rental - the Elam House
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:1 night
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Austin house description
Ever wonder what it would be like to stay overnight and tour one of the largest Frank Lloyd Wright Usonian Homes? Beginning May 7, 2013, you can find out! Experience the wonder and fascination of Frank Lloyd Wright in this beautiful home which features 5 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 3 floor to ceiling fireplaces, two living rooms with soaring ceilings, cantilevered balcony, terrazzo and slate flooring, slate patio outside the guest entrance, over 100 windows, over 100 light fixtures all set in the ceiling, rare white cypress wood, massive limestone piers and stonework comparable to that of Taliesin East, the home of Frank Lloyd Wright.
The 820 square foot Guest House suite has one bedroom and sleeps two comfortably. The guest bedroom has a queen sized bed, in-suite bath room including separate shower and bath tub and walk-in closet. The guest quarters also include a living room and kitchen. The living room has a private entrance, dining area and Satellite TV. Free Wi-Fi access is available. The kitchen includes microwave, toaster, dishwasher, refrigerator, coffee maker, pots, pans, china and flatware. There is also a futon available which can be set up in either the guest bedroom or the living room for a third guest. Enjoy relaxing in the privacy and quiet of the Elam House guest quarters.
Videos and magazines on the life of Frank Lloyd Wright and his designs will be available for our guest perusal. Surf the Internet while enjoying a cup of tea or coffee near the fireplace. Play a board game or watch a movie on Direct TV or from our collection of classic movies. Some of the original plans for the Elam House are on display in the gallery for our guest's viewing pleasure. A pocket door in the middle of the 60 foot long gallery/hallway separates the guest rental area from the residence and will be closed and locked before and after the tour of the entire house to ensure the privacy of our guests.
Tours of the entire house are available only to our rental guests between the hours of 7 - 8 pm. There may be some variability on weekends, so please confirm with Peter Plunkett when your tour will take place. Guests are free to walk around the grounds of the entire lot and through the entire guest area at any time during their stay.
You might enjoy examining the Webster Electric 'Teletalk' intercom system that is hardwired throughout the entire house. There are 3 base stations, one at the head of the stairs, one in the master bedroom and one in the guest living room. All of the bedrooms and the garage have an intercom as well. Although not operational at this time, we plan to renovate the system in the future.
The house was designed only for floor heat, however, that was not acceptable to Mr. Elam who demanded that a forced air heating system be added as well. The large 'Kewanee' boilers (there are two of them) and the huge air circulation system are really something to see. The original Hammond organ installed by Elam still remains in the main living room and will be restored as well. Of course, we are sure you will be 'Wowed' by the three floor to ceiling fireplaces that are in the house. Frank Lloyd Wright always liked a good fireplace that the family could relax and unwind by. As much as possible, we are striving to restore our beautiful home to its original splendor. We hope you enjoy staying in it as much as we enjoy living in it!
- 820 sq. ft.
- 1 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Non Smoking Only:
- Not Suitable For Children:
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 3, Beds for 3
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Coffee Maker:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Washing Machine:
- Towels Provided:
- Linens Provided:
- If you are an amateur radio operator, you might be interested in knowing that the owner has a radio station in the home which includes a Kenwood TS 940-S AT and Kenwood TL-922A amplifier. The owner is in the process of erecting a 70 foot tower which will support several HF and VHF antennas. At this point, the only antennas available are an 80 meter dipole and a 5 element 10 meter beam mounted at approximately 20 feet. The owner is a contester; call sign KF0GV (Extra Class). When the station is fully operational, we will welcome guest operators. We also have some good duck and pheasant hunting nearby. The owner is an avid hunter and could direct you to one of the hunting lakes, sloughs or hunting areas nearby. Make sure you discuss this with Peter Plunkett well in advance of your stay. We also have a 30' X 40' Ice Rink in Winter. The owner is a former Austin High Varsity Hockey player and is one of the coaches for Daran Plunkett's mite hockey team....moreless
'The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion' by William Allin Storer; 'Frank Lloyd Wright Inside and Out' by Diane Maddex; 'Wright Panorama' by Eric Lloyd Wright and Thomas R. Schiff; Magazines on FLW....moreless
- Video Library:
- DVD Player:
Water Sports Gear:
Guests may bring their own water ski gear and boat and ski at Beaver Lake. The owner has a slalom course there and is willing to take guests skiing behind his '95 MC ProStar 190 time permitting....moreless
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
- Ice Skating
- Hunting Small Game
- Roller Blading
- Water Tubing
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Freshwater Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Basketball Court
- Water Skiing
- Cross Country Skiing
- Live Theater
- Bird Watching
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Massage Therapist
- Scenic Drives
- Wildlife Viewing
- The Elam House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, is located in Austin, Minnesota, Home of the world famous Hormel Foods Corporation. SPAM Museum - Guests are encouraged to Tour the world famous SPAM Museum. The SPAM Museum features audios, videos and displays depicting the rich 121 year history of the Hormel Foods Corporation. The self-guided museum tour is free, interactive, educational and fun for all ages. Hormel Historic Home - In addition to the SPAM Museum, tour the Hormel Historic Home which will open a window into the life of the George A. Hormel family. The 1871 home is where Hormel lived with his wife and son when he founded Hormel Foods, Inc. Now restored to early 1900s decor, the 14-room home is open for self-guided tours. J.C. Hormel Nature Center - Cross Country Ski or enjoy the wildlife at the J. C. Hormel Nature Center. This is a 507 acre center which features hardwoods, restored prairie, ponds, pine forests and Dobbins Creek. Ten miles of hiking and cross country ski trials, as well as a one-third mile paved trail. There is also a three story observation tower, canoe rentals and cross country ski rentals available for use on site. Shooting Star Bike Trail - Go for a bike ride on the Shooting Star Bike Trail. Belle Paddle Boat - Go for a boat ride on East Side Lake on the 'Belle' paddle boat. Paramount Theatre - Take in a movie or a play at the Historic Paramount Theatre. The Paramount Theatre is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, originally opened September 14, 1929 and was designed for stage theatre and first run movies. It is just one of a few Atmospheric Theatres remaining in Minnesota. The Theatre was designed to represent being in the courtyard of a quaint Spanish village with twinkling stars and rolling clouds overhead. Sola Fide Observatory - Enjoy star gazing at the Sola Fide Observatory. This observatory is located on three acres of land, donated to Austin by a local doctor in 1991. Inside the 12 foot ash dome is a 10-inch refractor telescope with a five-inch refractor mounted on the top. The facility is open to the public when volunteers are available to show visitors constellations and other celestial bodies. Ice Skating - Go ice skating on our backyard rink or at Riverside or Packer arena. Feel free to take a walk, bike or roller blade in our quiet residential neighborhood. If you bring a canoe, you could launch it nearby (about a block away) and paddle down turtle creek. These are just a few of the attractions/activities that Austin has to offer. However, the main attraction for our guests, of course, is staying at the Elam Guest House! Lounge in the guest living room and take in a video on Frank Lloyd Wright. Or just read a book or a magazine while having a cup of tea or coffee by the fireplace. Cook your own meal in our fully equipped kitchen or dine out at one of Austin's fine restaurants. Don't forget that we provide a tour of the entire house in addition to the guest area as part of your stay. We hope you will enjoy looking at every nook and cranny of our beautiful home....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Relaxing, history filled place to stay
Relaxing, history filled place to stay
We enjoyed our relaxing stay at the Elam House, and I wish we would have stayed longer. I especially enjoyed the comfortable bed and beautiful windows and fireplace. The tour of the house was so interesting and also the Frank Lloyd Wright videos. It was a quiet peaceful stay. We had privacy, and also whenever we needed something, Peter was very helpful and pleasant. I would recommend a stay here.
- Guest Jodi M.
- Date of stay 11/29/13
- Review Submitted 12/04/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway.
Owner response: Thank you so much for your glowing review! We strive to make our guests comfortable and love to show our guests the entire house. I am always gratified with the smiling faces that I see during the tour. Thank you for coming and we hope to see you again in the future!
What a treat to stay in this beautiful Frank Lloyd Wright home! Thank you, Pete, for the full house tour & for sharing your guest quarters with us!
- Guest Scot T.
- Date of stay 10/19/13
- Review Submitted 10/23/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, adventure seekers, sightseeing, age 55+.
Wright's UU - Uncommon Usonian
Wright's UU - Uncommon Usonian
Great host, great stories, great house. Our host Peter was very accommodating, fast to reply to e-mails with clear answers to questions and concerns. The place was clean and comfortable, but most importantly a well maintained Wright House. This Usonian is very special. If you like FLW you need to come and experience this Unique Usonian. Thank you Peter for opening up your home for others to enjoy. Keeping everything as original as possible makes it a flashback in time experience. Would do it again. Note to all who stay the recliners are deceivingly deep, watch your toes as you walk around them.
- Guest William F.
- Date of stay 10/13/13
- Review Submitted 10/15/13
We both enjoyed our stay at the Elam House very much. The owner was very helpful and made our stay very enjoyable and comfortable. It was a great experience staying in a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home. It was very clean and well maintained. I would highly recommend anyone that is a Frank Lloyd Wright admirer to stay at least one night here. I would also recommend the Old Mill Restaurant for dinner and the Tendemaid Hamburger restaurant for a great loose meat burger.
- Guest Jim (Iowa City, Iowa)
- Date of stay 10/01/13
- Review Submitted 10/07/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers.
A Great Stay in a Frank Lloyd Wright House
A Great Stay in a Frank Lloyd Wright House
I, truly, enjoyed the relaxing and peaceful overnight in the Elam Home. The host is an outstanding - very welcoming and gracious. He allowed us to tour every room in the house and shared various stories with a true passion for a person who desires that others may enjoy this Frank Lloyd Wright gem. I was surprised with how large each room of the guest wing was. The huge fireplace and the immense wall of glass added to the warmth of this home. He has provided his guests with every "extra" imagineable, plus a well stocked kitchen. I left with such a deep inner peace.
- Guest JohnE (Rochester, MN)
- Date of stay 09/14/13
- Review Submitted 09/16/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, age 55+.
Amazing & Memorable Stay at the Elam House - a Frank Lloyd Wright Property in Austin, MN
Amazing & Memorable Stay at the Elam House - a Frank Lloyd Wright Property in Austin, MN
My wife & I had a marvelous three night stay the Elam House in Austin, MN in July 2013. This is one of the few Frank Lloyd Wright (FLW) designed properties that individuals are able to spend the night. For FLW fans, this is an experience that should not be missed. We knew that when we first drove up to the property that it was going to be a great time. The lot has some amazing trees throughout. It is more than an impressive property when you first see it.The structure angles, 100+ windows and stonework detail make it crystal clear that this is a FLW gem. Owner Pete Plunkett, was more than a gracious host. While we stayed in the guest end of the home, Pete gave a memorable tour of the entire complex during our stay. (He even included wine with cheese and crackers to add to the experience.) The structure is nearly 150 feet long and we were able to see every room. Only the rooms where we stayed had images on line - exactly as shown. The rest of the house is shown during the tour and you can take all the photos you would like during that time. It was one of our favorite FLW properites and we have seen / toured dozens. Even though it was July, we even had a fire in the fireplace - a must during any FLW stay. The windows, stone work and and building itself made for a marvelous three night stay. Both my wife and I were surprised at how comfortable the bed was and we slept great each night. The main living room area was very comfortably furnished and the windows provided for some impressive views out on to the property. The property had all of the extras included - TV with DVD/VHS player with a nice collection of film offerings including a few FLW documentaries. The area was equipped with wi-fi which worked great through out our stay. A CD player was available along with a few CDs. A small library of FLW books for reading were present to add to the experience. Plus essentially toiletries, linens, and kitchenware to make the stay complete. We also explored the community during our stay, playing two rounds of golf - one in Austin and one in nearby Albert Lea. One night we enjoy a community play in Albert Lea at The Marion Ross (she was Mrs. Cunningham - Richie's mom on the TV show Happy Days) Community Theatre. It was a fun night. And don't forget the world-famous Spam Museum - just minutes away from the Elam House in Austin. We had a highly memorable time at the Elam House and highly recommend it to all - even if you are not a FLW fan.
- Guest Jeff (Woodbury, MN)
- Date of stay 07/09/13
- Review Submitted 07/22/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, sightseeing.
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|My Standard Rate
1 night min stay
Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Additional information about rental rates
Rates are subject to change until confirmed. Our standard rate of $250 per night applies to the day before, day of and after holidays. To make a reservation, please visit our website at www.theelamhouse.com. To purchase a GIFT CERTIFICATE, send Peter an email at email@example.com. If you have any questions, please call Peter at 507-438-9503. Thank you!
- Taxes Not included
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Austin Municipal Airport (AUM) at 5 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: I-90 at 1 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Beaver Lake at 30 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Applebees at 2 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Welch Village - Red Wing, MN at 70 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Ramsey Golf Course at 7 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Tolly's Time Out at 1 Miles
Year Purchased: 1959
About the owner: Welcome guests. I am Peter Plunkett, the Innkeeper for the Elam House. I live in the Elam House with my son, Daran. I was born 5 months after my father Warren Plunkett, purchased the home in March, 1959 from S.P. 'Pearl' Elam. I grew up in the Elam House, went to school and graduated from Austin High School, obtained a BA degree in Business Management from St. Thomas College and a JD degree from William Mitchell College of Law in 1985. I have worked for our family businesses in Austin, Minnesota since 1985. In 1987, I purchased a home across the street from the Elam House and lived there until 2006 when I moved back into the Elam House. In addition to practicing law for 27 years, I am also a slalom water skier competing in local, regional and national tournaments; a competition control-line model airplane pilot; an instrument rated private pilot; an Amateur Extra Class radio operator; an ice hockey player and coach; and an avid duck and pheasant hunter. I have lived in the Twin Cities, and Oklahoma City, but have spent the majority of my life in Austin. I know the Elam House very well and look forward to telling you about it and introducing you to Austin, Minnesota if you have never visited here before.
Why the Owner Chose Austin:
This is our family home. We enjoy the home very much and since it is the second largest Usonian home by Frank Lloyd Wright, we wanted to allow other people interested in Wright designs to stay overnight and experience the home in a more intimate manner. Wright drew plans for over 1000 homes. 532 of these designs were built and approximately 400 remain. 13 of these homes are in Minnesota and 4 are in Southern Minnesota. The Elam House is a rare treasure indeed!
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Enjoy the fantastic views from either living room. Both living rooms have large windows that create one full wall of glass. Some of the windows in the main living room are Nine feet tall and three and a half feet wide. The three floor to ceiling fireplaces are a hallmark of Frank Lloyd Wright. The soaring ceilings in the living rooms are outstanding and give the effect of the room exploding upwards upon entrance. The rare cypress wood lining the ceilings and walls and the meticulous limestone work are wonderful to view and examine. Of course, there is nothing better than relaxing in the house during a thunderstorm. The rain hitting the stone coated steel roof and watching the storm roll by through the windows, it's almost as if you are out in the storm. Wright had the special gift of being able to bring the outdoors inside his homes and the Elam house is no exception.
- Primary: 507-438-9503
- Secondary: +1 507-437-8125 After 5 pm
- Tertiary: +1 507-437-2845 During business hours 9-5 M-F Ext. 109
- Fax: +1 507-437-8376 Office Fax number
Completed for S.P. Elam in 1951, the Plunketts have lived there since 1959
Limestone trucked in from a quary near Spring Green, WI., near Taliesin
Our guest patio and garden view
Our guest living room - free Wi-Fi; Direct TV; Movies on Frank Lloyd Wright
Our guest living room - couch and coffe table original Elam furniture
Guest dining area
Our guest kitchen - microwave, toaster, coffee maker, stove and dishwasher.
Bedroom includes Queen Sized Bed, large walk in closet, and Wi-Fi access.
Bedroom Has Walk-in Closet & Private Entrance
In Suite Shower and bathroom
The hallway in the guest room area
Main Living Room Fireplace
The Elam House is a very unique 'Usonian' with over 100 windows
Our guest entry and patio area
Side view of the guest living room and patio area. Lots of windows!
Guest living room where Frank Lloyd Wright brings the outdoors inside
Our guest living room with view towards the massive fireplace
Our guest living room fireplace. Frank Lloyd Wright always loved a nice fire!
Guest Kitchen With Refrigerator, China & Flatware
Guest Bedroom - lots of windows let the outside in
In suite bathroom - 2 sinks, bathtub, shower and toilet. Complementary water.
In Suite Bath
Pocket Door in Gallery Separating Guest Quarters from Main Home
Back Yard Skating Rink for Winter Guests
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Sunday, November 10, 2013
1 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.