Cove Point Lighthouse - One Side of the Keeper's Cottage Duplex
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Solomons Island cottage description
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and cared for by the Calvert Marine Museum, the Cove Point Lighthouse historic site has been lovinginly restored and repurpsed so that it can be enjoyed by all. The active lighthouse and keeper's home sit on a seven-acre point of land in one of the narrowest points of the Chesapeake Bay. It was established in 1828, making it the oldest continuously operating lighthouse in Maryland and the fifth-oldest lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay. Structures on the property include the 40-foot high brick light tower, dating to 1828, and a keeper's house, originally built in the same year, but enlarged in 1925 to make it a duplex for two keepers and their families. Other buildings on the site include the 1901 fog bell building, now used as a mini-theatre for public orientations, a small cottage built in 1950, and a brick building housing the Coast Guard's radio transmitter and emergency diesel generator, also dating from 1950. Proceeds from this beautiful rental site will support the Calvert Marine Museum and a lighthouse endowment set up for its continued care.
- 1120 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Events Allowed
- Pets Not Allowed
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 6-8
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dining Area Seats:
- Dishes & Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Clothes Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Iron & Board
- Air Conditioning
- Towels Provided
- Linens Provided
- Please note that this site has two rentable sides. The calendar only reflects the dates when both sides of the cottage are rented. If the dates on the calendar indicate the site is 'available', then one of the two sides is available to rent. Please email us with your desired dates to verify availability. For details on renting the entire cottage, please see our listing on VRBO #436958 for more information. ...moreless
- DVD Player
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Surf Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Hunting Small Game
- Freshwater Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Roller Blading
- Pier Fishing
- Deepsea Fishing
- Basketball Court
- Jet Skiing
- Water Skiing
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Eco Tourism
- Bird Watching
- Winery Tours
- Water Parks
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Scenic Drives
- Wildlife Viewing
- Sight Seeing
- Ths private fenced-in four-acre site sits on a point of land on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The neighborhood is private and friendly with opportunities for biking jogging or just strolling the beach. This site is just 7 miles from Solomons Island, which boasts many restaurants, a local brew pub, and the infamous Tiki Bar. The Island also offers antiquing, shopping, boat rentals, charter fishing oppotunities and the Calvert Marine Museum. Just down the street from the site is Cove Point Park, which has basketball courts, baseball field, a playground and even a water park. A shopping center with an ince cream shop, coffee shop and grocery store is just five miles away. Visitors should also take a day trip to Washington DC or Baltimore, which is just over an hour away. Annapolis is a short 45 minute drive....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Oct 1 - Mar 31
3 night min stay
Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Apr 1 - Sep 30
3 night min stay
Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
|My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Additional information about rental rates
We offer three-night (Sunday afternoon through Wednesday morning), four-night (Wednesday night through Sunday morning) and weekly rentals.
50% due at signing of contract. Final payment due 30 days prior to rental.
- Insurance fee: $75
- Cleaning fee for one side of home: $75
- Cleaning fee for both sides of home: $150
- Tax Rate 11%
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: BWI at 90 Miles
- Nearest Train: Amtrak (Washington, DC) at 50 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Ruddy Duck Brewery at 7 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Chesapeake Hills at 3 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Monterey Mexican Restaurant at 5 Miles
Year Purchased: 2000
About: The Calvert Marine Museum is the caretaker of Cove Point Lighthouse, which was acquired by the Calvert County Government in 2000. The museum is located in Solomons, Maryland, just 7 miles south of the lighthouse site. Our three themes include Maritime History of the local area, Paleontology of the Calvert Cliffs, and the Estuarine Biology of the local waters. The Calvert Marine Museum is open 7 days a week except for certain holidays, from 10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. We offer a 1 hour boat tour of the Patuxent River, opportunity to tour the Drum Point Lighthouse, a children's Discovery Room, and many other fun and interesting opportunities. The museum has been open since 1970 and was created by several locals who wanted to preserve the quickly changing heritage of the area. It's mission is to preserve, protect, and educate the community about the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding area.
Why Solomons Island:
The property is one of just a few authentic lighthouses still in operation. It is a wonderful combination of privacy and peacefulness combined with easy access to restaurants, art galleries, and entertainment.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
The home sits right on its own private beach with direct access to the Chesapeake Bay. Not to mention, the view of the tower light shining down across the water at night is breathtaking. Visitors can choose to rent just one side of this duplex (as priced on this site) or open up the privacy doors dividing the two living areas and use all six bedrooms. To rent the entire duplex, see our listing on VRBO #436958.
- Primary: +1 410-474-5370 9:00-5:00, otherwise leave a message to be called
- Secondary: +1 410-326-2042 9:00-5:00 Monday - Friday
- Fax: +1 410-326-4175
Links to more information:
The Cove Point Lighthouse and Keeper's Cottage... an idyllic place to unwind
Sunrise at the Keeper's Cottage and Lighthouse
Kitchen in the Keeper's Cottage
Keeper's Cottage Living Room
Second floor queen bedroom
Wintertime at the lighthouse.
Sunset on the Chesapeake Bay
Keeper's kitchen with custom-made table using wood from historic buildings
View of the lighthouse from bedroom window
Third Floor Queen Bedroom with Bath
Keeper's Cottage Twin Bedroom
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Wednesday, August 14, 2013