Petty Harbour Perfect: Breathtaking Views - 15 Min. from Downtown St. John's
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:No
St. John's house description
Only 15 scenic minutes from downtown St. John's, this spectacular property offers the full Newfoundland experience: nature and culture at your doorstep and the city's bountiful offerings within minutes.
This house is perched above the historic, active fishing village of Petty Harbour. The unobstructed sightlines from the expansive front windows allow full views of the working harbour and the open water of Motion Bay.
The house features:
1000 sq. ft.+ of one level living space
One bedroom - Obusforme King bed
Full bathroom - bathtub/shower combination
Modern kitchen - open to the entertainment area
Living/Dining area - spanning the full front of the house, with cathedral ceiling
Front deck - approximately 7 X 20 feet
Side deck - approximately 4 X 8 feet - covered, barbequing area
Laundry Room on the lower level
Ideal for nature lovers, this property's purpose has been conceived by the owners as a retreat from the swift pace of the city. In all weather, nature is our host here and absorbing the activity from this sheltered perch is unavoidably consuming. This is a place to slow down - books, games, food & drink, and nature's beauty are our distractions. Sorry, no television found here.
Note that the house is located at the top of a steep, old, and narrow road - a 90 second walk up from parking at the bottom of the hill. Parking is not permitted at the property.
- 1000 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 2, Beds for 2
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Pantry Items:
- Dining Area Seats:
- Dishes & Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Iron & Board
- Towels Provided
- Hair Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Washing Machine
- Clothes Dryer
- Deck / Patio
- Outdoor Grill
- Away From It All
- Wildlife Viewing
- Bird Watching
- Pier Fishing
- Eco Tourism
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Scenic Drives
- Petty Harbour is a picturesque, active fishing village first settled in the 18th century. The pace is slower here and the traditional outport culture thrives. Watch the fishing boats come and go, chat with the locals, stroll along the wharf and look for whales, otters and eagles from your deck over the sea. Slow down and breathe the air. Also in the town of Petty Harbour: Chafe's Landing Restaurant Herbie's Old Shoppe Crafts Marine Aquarium & Touch Tank Petty Harbour Convenience & Liquor Express Outlet North Atlantic Ziplines: www.zipthenorthatlantic.com Whale Close Encounter Snorkel Tours: www.oceanquestadventures.com The East Coast Trail: eastcoasttrail.ca Nature lovers will get the greatest that Newfoundland has to offer by hiking up the hill to the East Coast Trail. From there you can hike over hills and vast plains, past majestic cliffs and down to the rocky ocean shore, along what National Geographic magazine rated as the best in the world of 99 coastal tourism destinations in November 2010, and one of the world's best adventure destinations for 2012. Breathtaking. Petty Harbour is just a scenic 15 minutes from downtown St. John's where galleries, shops, cafe's, pubs and restaurants abound. Live music and local theatre are nightly events. Visit Signal Hill, The Rooms Provincial Gallery, The Geo Centre and the historic villages of Quidi Vidi and The Battery. Within an hour of Petty Harbour just some of what you'll find: Cape Spear National Park Whale and Seabird Watching tours, Sea Kayaking tours, the Ferryland Lighthouse & picnics, the stunning coastline and villages of the Irish Loop driving route. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Perfect spot for an East Coast getaway
Perfect spot for an East Coast getaway
My wife and I recently stayed here and it provided exactly what we were looking for. We had always wanted to travel out to the east coast and were looking for a charming place to stay - one that would give us a good feel of Newfoundland, and at the same time be provide easy access to the city and things to do around the region. Situated in Petty Harbour, the cottage provided us with with the best of both worlds. The cottage was a great place to unwind. We would just sit inside or on the deck and enjoy the peaceful view of the harbour and the waters as we enjoyed our breakfast every morning. It felt like we were miles and miles away from the city as we enjoyed the tranquility of our surroundings. In the afternoons we would hike on the trails nearby or drive to nearby places for kayaking. One of the great things about Petty Harbour is that St John's is only 15 minutes away and we could enjoy the different restaurants it had to offer and then retreat back to the cottage and leave the busyness of the city behind. The cottage itself was beautifully kept, well stocked, and decorated with rustic accents. We also appreciated that the owners were thoughtful and accommodating and provided lots of helpful travel tips. It was a wonderful stay!
- Guest Anonymous (Canada)
- Date of stay 08/13/13
- Review Submitted 09/26/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, sightseeing, romantic getaway.
Our stay at this home exceeded our expectations! The owners did everything they could to make our vacation everything we had hoped for. They provided us with detailed directions from the airport, and a list of things to see and places to eat during our stay. We were warmly greeted upon our arrival. The home is even nicer than shown on the pictures.We experienced some typical Newfoundland weather, but the friendliness of this small town more than made up for any rain and fog. The view from this home is spectacular! This home is in a perfect location to make day trips, and still have a cozy place to come home to. We would highly recommend this home to anyone who wanted a lovely "home away from home".
- Guest Jan and Di (Burlington, Ontario)
- Date of stay 06/18/13
- Review Submitted 06/29/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, sightseeing, romantic getaway, girls getaway.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
A single night is available for $200.00
Additional Fees and Taxes:
No added fees or taxes
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the owner for more information.
- Nearest Airport: St. John's International Airport at 24 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: Trans Canada at 15 Kilometres
- Nearest Restaurant: Chafe's Landing at 0.4 Kilometres
Year Purchased: 2012
About the owner: We are 'mainlanders', living in downtown St. John's for 14 years, and loving every Newfoundland minute.
Why the Owner Chose St. John's:
We have always chosen to spend our Newfoundland leisure time in the finest places offered here - those close to nature. When this property overlooking the ocean and quaint town of Petty Harbour became available, we couldn't resist. With the East Coast Trail in our backyard and the wonderful culture of this fishing village all around us, our release from the city's bustle was complete.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Having traveled Newfoundland extensively, we often craved to have a 'house around the bay', without the drive to get there. We found it here - Petty Harbour is worlds away from the city, but minutes away from our downtown front door. And nature comes right into our living room.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
The peaked brown cottage, second from left
From the entry
No television needed
Near night lights and distant city glow
Meals with a view
Full bathroom with antique vanity
From the harbour breakwater
Wall to wall views
Cozy night in front of the fire
Summer - west view from the Dining window
Birdwatcher's delight and ideal perch
The East Coast Trail, just up and around the bend - for 100+ kilometers
Evening settles over the harbour
Early 19th century Petty Harbour
Autumn from the Dining window
Never miss the view while cooking
Fully equipped kitchen
Morning cafe au lait on the deck
East view toward Motion Bay
Winter in Petty Harbour
The summer deck
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Tuesday, July 16, 2013
1 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.