Canoa Beach House: Families, Surfers, Beachcombers, Relaxers, Loves
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Canoa house description
Two bedrooms upstairs, two bedrooms downstairs, three of the four bedrooms facing the ocean. Two full baths, upstairs bath with spacious shower-for-two and a clawfoot tub. Big, shaded balcony upstairs, great for reading in the afternoons, sunset viewing in evening, more open patio downstairs, ideal for morning coffee. Excellent kitchen, fully stocked, bartop for conversing with the cook, private outdoor dining adjoining the kitchen on backside of house, barbecue grill. Many native trees, plants, flowers. Onsite caretaker's house behind to assist. Sound of the surf and those wind chimes in the breeze really make it a pretty dreamy place to be in, wish we were there...
- 2000 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Pets Not Allowed
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7, Beds for 7
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Deck / Patio
- Outdoor Grill
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
Location & View
- Car Not Necessary
- Massage Therapist
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Bird Watching
- The house is located about a twenty-five minute walk on the beach to the village of Canoa. It is a very quiet place, few people make it down the beach to us, the surf break is mellow, and you will have zero competition for either the waves or your spot on the sand. Plenty of restaurants and bars in the village. The hostal Bambu has a lovely restaurant/bar on the beachfront in town and has a great Happy Hour where people gather for sunset. The restaurant Saboreame (there are two in town) has terrific ceviches and a very good 'encocado,' which is a way of preparing fish and shrimp in a tasty coconut sauce. Closer to the house and offering excellent food is the Hotel Canoa, about a ten minute walk, and hands-down the most 'dressed up' of Canoa's many hotels, bars, and restaurants. Talk to Greg, Kentucky transplant and the owner of the hotel, and he will answer just about any question you have. There is dancing on the beach on weekends in several of the open chozas, and taxis are available for hire. The Surf Shack and the Hostal Coco Loco are favored gathering places for expats; food for those missing burgers, pizzas, and good Mexican fare. Ask at the Hotel Canoa or Surf Shack about paragliding from the cliffs on the ocean, tours to organic farms, horseback riding, board rentals. Ask about a lowtide excursion to the caves where the beach ends in the cliffs to the north. Bird watching a little inland. If you have a car, a nice day trip to Punta Prieta is well worth your while, as well as any number of fine beaches, though if you prefer to stay close to home, you will not be disappointed by the beach right out your door. Bring your sunscreen and a good book, rent a board, stock up on mangoes, papayas, fresh veggies, fish from the market, and you are likely not wanting to go anywhere other than the place to which you have arrived.... ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Amazing Beach House Experience!
Amazing Beach House Experience!
The Canoa Beach House is a romantic and playful design looking right over the ocean. The house was fresh, clean, and in wonderful condition. You'll only get props from us on the amenities; no complaints. We loved the distinct touches with the tile and architecture. Thank you Tony and Kris for getting setup in the beach house and suggestions for the area. Thanks Greg for the conversation on the beach house history up at the Canoa Beach Hotel while enjoying your amazing dishes and "Fried Elvis." We'll recommend the fabulous experience at the Canoa Beach House for those who want a peaceful, relaxing, and playful season. Sam, thanks so much for letting us hang at your exquisite pad.
- Guest Justin R.
- Date of stay 08/10/13
- Review Submitted 08/21/13
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
2 night min stay
Fri, Sat, Sun
Additional information about rental rates
Rates are based on two-person occupancy. Add thirty dollars per person, per night after first two.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Manta, Ecuador at 50 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Ruta del Sol (extremely light traffic) at Canoa
- Nearest Beach: You are on the beach at Canoa
Year Purchased: 2009
About the owner: Our family makes its home in Massachusetts, though Noy and I, I think, continue to have our hearts out West where we grew up. Work at the University of Massachusetts brought us back east, however, where we have happily raised a boy Ben Reno, and a girl Phoebe, aged 17 and 13. On a sabbatical year, when the kids were 11 and 7, we all went down to Ecuador, stayed outside of Quito in the mountains, visited Canoa, and fell for the place hard. We built this house there, carved out two years to live there (kids went to local school, very friendly, welcoming), and now visit as often as we can. The house is really a labor of love, designed by us with an eye cast to the southwest where we grew up, and to the beach and the country where the house sits. Throughout the house are Mexican tiles, handpainted sinks, Mexican fixtures we brought down in suitcases over the years of the house's construction. Mostly we meant it to be a place of some beauty, a place to enjoy good food and drink and spend good times with family and friends. I think it is all of that. Plus which, geez, whoever thought a couple of desert rats would ever learn to surf?
Why the Owner Chose Canoa:
See 'About Us'...
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Truth? And trying not to brag? I love everything about this place. Very tough to be anywhere in this house without seeing something appealing. Combinations of materials: wood, brick, stucco, iron; color combinations; arches, niches, tiles, lighting, shadows, whim, function, quality. Very lucky to have worked with a fantastic builder, Greg, owner of Canoa Beach Hotel, full of local knowledge and ideas. I have my favorite spots--chair outside the master bedroom, couch on the balcony--though I have learned to love other spots through friends we have had stay with us in the past as well. No doubt you will find yours...
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
sunset from balcony
outdoor dining, barbecue kitchen
back of house
front of house from beach
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Thursday, June 20, 2013