Beautiful Solar-Powered Log Cabin 3 Miles from Glacier National Park Entrance
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Polebridge cabin description
Kootenay is located on Numa Peak, more than 20 pristine acres less than 3 miles from the Bowman Lake Entrance of Glacier National Park. Kootenay is 20 miles off the grid and it is powered almost completely by solar energy. Water is supplied by a well on the property. The well is fed by mountain streams with the water table below. There is only one property, rarely used, between Kootenay and the source of all the water. Additionally,we have gone 'green' wherever possible. There are 4 log cabins (Kootenay, Kintla, Ptarmigan and Siyeh) each with spectacular views of the peaks of Glacier National Park. Kootenay has 2 bedrooms each with a queen bed, full bath, full kitchen, dining area and living area. There is a large front deck looking into the park with table and chairs.The master bedroom also includes a private sitting area as well as a private deck facing into Glacier National Park. Haycreek runs year round and is situated directly behind the cabin. It is home to the endangered Bull Trout.
- 1400 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Pets Not Allowed
- Children Welcome
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Events Allowed
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
- The master bedroom is 27' by 15' with 2 foot knee walls. The walls and ceiling are beautiful aspen with a log accent in the peak. Old style wood floors with circle saw accents are in both bedrooms. You can see the stunning peaks of Glacier National Park from the bed or the large sitting area with leather chairs and table. There is a full private deck with bistro tables also with the gorgeous view. Luggage space and a full closet provide ample room to settle in nicely without luggage everywhere. The second bedroom is 11' by 11' with the same aspen accents. It is cozy and tucked in the eaves. The second bedroom also has a closet and storage area....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Towels Provided
- Wood Stove
- Linens Provided
- Numa Peak has four cabins and all are handcrafted by local builders with many of the logs from the property itself. Kootenay is the original family home and largest of the four. It is attached to the Lodge which functions as the family home when we are there, but is very private with its own entrance. Please inquire. We are off the grid and power is provided by 2 large solar panels, inverter and battery system with backup generator and propane. We have made every attempt to 'go green' from the energy source itself to the Jotul woodstoves and their energy efficiency. Wood is provided from the property itself. Sustainability is also attempted in the hiring of local people....moreless
- DVD Player
Lawn / Garden:
Kootenay is on more than 21 acres and has Hay Creek in the back yard which runs year round. There is a front yard and then north of the drive a large meadow. Eastward is our forest with a mown path....moreless
Deck / Patio:
Kootenay sports a front deck that is 27' by 12' and a private deck off the master bedroom equally large. Both have Bistro style tables and chairs. Both decks have gorgeous views into the park....moreless
- Sports & Activities
- Away From It All
Location & View
Kootenay has spectacular views directly into the rugged peaks of Glacier National Park from the main living area and dining area, the large front porchand private railed porch off the master bedroom....moreless
Numa Peak is many miles off the grid. All of its power is supplied with two large solar systems with panels, inverter and battery panels with back up generator and propane. Small footprint. :) ...moreless
- Mountain Climbing
- Whitewater Rafting
- Rock Climbing
- Mountain Biking
- Cross Country Skiing
- Hunting Small Game
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Bird Watching
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- There are 4 cabins for rent on the more than 20 acres of Numa Peak. All of the cabins are situated to have spectacular views from both inside the cabins and on their front porch. We are located 1 mile from historic Polebridge for food, music and fun. There are more activities than can be named in the most remote valley in the continental USA. The beauty and serenity is amazing and neverending. Please go to numapeak.com to view the photo gallery and get more information on the property. We are just developing the website so there will be more to come. A minimum of interior pictures are available as we are putting in completely new furniture and 2 of the cabins are still under consstruction. They will be available within the next 2 weeks. Suffice it to say that they are beautiful log cabins, fully equiped with high end furniture, linens, full kitchen and bath, BBQ with beautiful wood floors in the main part of the house and carpet in the bedrooms. Please let me know if there are any questions I can answer. Mary...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
My husband and I enjoyed our stay at this cabin for 4 nights. It is very quiet and has a nice view. We would highly recommend this cabin. You will find a spacious master bedroom with it's own deck. The guest room is small, but my parents didn't complain at all (for their 2 night stay) and said the bed was comfortable. It is about a 30 min drive from Glacier National Park. We went into the park each day and didn't mind the drive (other than the gravel road for part of the trip). There are steep stairs to go upstairs to the bedrooms and bathroom. The Northern Lights Saloon was a great little restaurant in Polebridge, but they extremely busy when we were there and had to wait a long time for our food. It's a very laid back atmosphere.
- Guest Kris (United States)
- Date of stay 07/24/13
- Review Submitted 07/29/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, sightseeing, families with teenagers, girls getaway, adventure seekers.
The Place to Go if you want to completely relax.
The Place to Go if you want to completely relax.
We so enjoyed our visit to Mary's newly remodeled, beautiful, quiet, peaceful space. I say "Mary" because we felt so welcomed that we made a new friend too. She is delightful. She was responsive to every need, indeed asking if she could do anything for us or provide for us. Our favorite things were the amazing mattress, the balcony, the creek and the quiet. We really enjoyed the restaurant in the unique town of Polebridge. The creek behind the home was a safe place for our 8 year old daughter who played there so happily for hours. We felt so fortunate to have found this remote gem of a retreat. We were also surprised to see how to live in a more 'green' way. It was inspiring and overall a gentle experience. I can only tell you that I still feel calm after three weeks, so I guess that tells you something if you need to get away from it all! My daughter adds, "I promise it's good!"
- Guest Leslie (Pasadena, CA)
- Date of stay 07/01/13
- Review Submitted 07/23/13
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
3 night min stay
Thu, Fri, Sat
Oct 1 - Oct 31
3 night min stay
May 1 - Jun 14
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
We are located in the most rural valley left in the lower 48 states of the US. There are no services available. "No trace left behind" is the approach for everyone up the North Fork Valley.
Damage will be assessed between all stays and if items need to be replaced or fixed an appropriate fee will be charged to the credit card on file.
Fees and Rental Conditions:
- Property Damage Protection: $49
- Tax Rate 7%
Policy available by contacting manager when booking.
This manager accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Glacier National Park International Airport at 43 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Northern Lights Saloon at 1 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Whitefish Mountain Resort at 51 Miles
- Nearest Golf: West Glacier at 23 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Northern Lights Saloon at 1 Miles
Year Purchased: 1994
About: Mary worked in Glacier National Park at Many Glacier Hotel from 1977-1980. Finally, in 1992 the family was able to move to Missoula. Luckily, on one visit to Glacier a small 'For Sale' sign was spied on the side of the road. We turned the car around and have spent almost 20 years growing as a family in the North Fork Valley. Kira, Ian and Tristan have spent many wonderful days here or in Glacier. Pictured here is the original family cabin which is now Kootenay after a substantial remodel. It is connected to the lodge which is where we now stay when we come. It remains very private with its own entrance and substantial distance from the other three rental cabins. The addition was started as a way to have room for the kids when they returned with their families. Then the idea of having a place that allowed other people to experience the beauty of the North Fork Valley and Glacier came about. So here we are today trying to share this rare beauty with the rest of you.
Numa Peak has some of the most fantastic views of the mountains to be found even up in the North Fork Valley. People slow down as they turn our corner on the North Fork Road as the peaks come into view.The historic Mecantile in Polebridge, 1 mile down the road, offers the basic needs to campers, tourists and backpackers. It is internationally known for its' baked goods of all types. Polebridge is also home to the Northern Lights Saloon. Excellent fare is often accompanied by music played by locals and visitors from around the world.
The Unique Benefits at this Cabin:
Numa Peak has beauty and solitude but is just around the corner from all that the North Fork has to offer. Haycreek sings the music of mountain streams all year long. Bowman Lake and all its splendour is less than 10 miles away
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Kootenay Cabin on the right with the Lodge to the left
Numa Peak, our namesake, from the property
Dining Area looking into front yard
Living Room with Couch and Love Seat, TV and DVD
Private Sitting Area in the Master Bedroom
Full Bathroom with Tub/Shower
Numa Peak Sign on the North Fork Road
Master Bedroom Private Deck looking into Glacier National Park
Hay Creek In Winter Looking At The Old Homestead
Bowman Lake- Less than 10 miles From Numa Peak
Grinnell Glacier Trail
View from the Deck. Kintla in the foreground.
Kootenay Cabin with the reflection of the mountains
Kootenay Living Room
Kitchen(fully equipped) with Fridge, Stove, Built-In Wine Glass Rack
Kitchen with Dining Area
Private Creekside Area with Stone Beach right behind the cabin
Solar Panels that primary source of power on the property
Numa Peak Forest With A Double Rainbow
Beargrass At Logan Pass on Going-To-The-Sun Road
Many Glacier Hotel- One of the Historic Lodges in Glacier National Park
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Saturday, July 06, 2013
Get a rental quote, then book it!
Tell us your travel details and get an instant price quote from Mary Bassingthwaighte