Century Old Hillside Estate with Breath Taking Views and *Private Beach Access*
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:3-7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Mahone Bay house description
**New listing**Come stay at the Commodore House est. in 1899. Named after its previous owner, Commodore Williams Prine Hayes. Enjoy the century old estate grounds including it own orchard, grapes, many other varities of plants and tress. Our home has just finished a three year renovation of the entire home finished in June 2013. Our 13 room house has everthing to make your stay perfect! Fully equiped kitchen with new stainless steel appliances including a double oven for making those special family meals. There are five decks to sit back and enjoy the 330 ft. wide view, BBQ and spend that quality time with your family and friends. No need to travel to the beach, there is a small, private sandy beach across the quiet street. Shopping is nearby with quaint small local shops including local jams, fresh breads and the famous fish market. Many five star Restaurants in Chester and Lunenburg to leave you with the ultimate seafood expereince and many local favorites.
There is so much to do here....walk the 4 acre landscaped grounds, visits the many local museums, whale watching, beaches, many festivals throught the year, church suppers, car ferry ride, fishing, deep sea fishing kayaking, bird watching, scenic drives on the water, local evening theatre, so much more.
- 3200 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Pets Not Allowed
- Non Smoking Only
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 11, Beds for 9-11
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items
- Iron & Board
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Washing Machine
- Towels Provided
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Water View
- Ocean View
- Beach View
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Water Tubing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Ice Skating
- Deepsea Fishing
- Cross Country Skiing
- Water Skiing
- Jet Skiing
- Paddle Boating
- Bird Watching
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Scenic Drives
- Wildlife Viewing
- Whale Watching
- If you've ever mentioned Mahone Bay to anyone that has visited they'll say, 'Oh I love Mahone Bay.' We are sure you'll agree. You will find Mahone Bay directly on the scenic 'Lighthouse Route' , following a coast that looks out to over 365 islands, one for every day of the year! It is only an hour and a half drive from the Halifax airport and about the same from New York and Boston! But that's by plane, of course. Steeped in nautical history and even a little piratical intrigue the town's habour is carved out of Nova Scotia's craggy South Shore. Protected waters and magnificent vistas make it a popular sailing, kayaking, cycling and hiking destination. Charming eateries & specialty stores make it a popular shopping destination. Whether you come for a day, a weekend, a season or a lifetime Mahone Bay will leave an impression, and a good one at that! Other attractions: Bluenose II The original Bluenose was designed by William Roué and built by the Smith and Rhuland Shipyard in Lunenburg. She was launched at Lunenburg, Nova Scotia on March 26, 1921, as both a working fishing schooner and a racing ship. This was in response to a Nova Scotian ship's defeat in the International Fishermen's Race for working schooners established by the Halifax Herald newspaper in 1920 Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic The breath-taking Lunenburg waterfront is the home of the world-class Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic. The Museum commemorates the fishing heritage of the Atlantic coast of Canada. Housed in brightly painted red buildings, with floating vessels at wharfside, the Museum offers a host of attractions, a maritime gift shop and restaurant. Fishermen's Memorial and Tribute On August 25, 1996, The Fishermens' Memorial was unveiled in Lunenburg. It is located on the waterfront between Adams and Knickle and the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic. The monument shaped as a compass rose, comprises eight three-sided columns at each compass point. Inscribed on these black granite columns are the names of mariners, primarily fishermen from Lunenburg County who lost their lives at sea from 1890 until the present. Heritage Sites & Architecture The taste and lifestyles of Lunenburg's rich past create a smorgasbord of building styles. In the space of a block or two you'll find a Cape Cod more than two centuries old; a classic Queen Anne Revival; a simple saltbox; a grand Victorian; and a revised-Gothic church! It makes a simple stroll down the streets of Lunenburg an architecture enthusiast's dream ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
"We love the Commodore House. The views of the bay from the upper deck was astounding. The kitchen is very large with views of the bay and well equipped with new appliances. Great house for the whole family. The estate grounds are lush with many types of shrubs and wild life. Our family loved the orchard and private sandy beach. Everyone was very happy with their beds and lots of rooms to chose from. We love this house and could not have asked for anything more. Everything was fantastic. We can't wait to return with more family."
- Guest Spencer (Nova Scotia )
- Date of stay 08/31/13
- Review Submitted 12/27/13
Recommended for: Girls getaway, adventure seekers, tourists without a car, age 55+, families with teenagers, sightseeing, romantic getaway, families with young children.
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Jan 4 - May 16, 2014
3 night min stay
May 17 - Jun 13, 2014
3 night min stay
Jun 14 - Sep 27, 2014
7 night min stay
Sep 28 - Oct 31, 2014
3 night min stay
Nov 1 - Dec 19, 2014
3 night min stay
Dec 20 - Jan 3, 2015
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Accept e-transfer, money order, paypal
50% due upon booking (refundable if requested within 60 days of first day stay) balance due 30 days prior to stay.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
- Refundable Damage Deposit: C$250
- CLEANING: C$50
- Taxes Included
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Year Purchased: 2010
About the owner: We feel in love with this property the first time we laid eyes on it's beautiful grounds and view of the bay. The home had been run down and in need of some major repairs. We have been devoted to this home and property to bring it back to how it would have looked at it's peak. After three years we have named the newly renovated home after one of it's previous owners Williams Prine Hayes to honor his service for our country. Mr. Hayes reached the rank of Commodore in 1954 and also held commands at Royal Military Colllege and at the Royal Roads Miliary College. We love the water and also have beach front vacation properties in Coronado Bay, Panama (2 bedroom + 2 bath condo on 23rd floor) #555325 and in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico (1 bedroom + 1 bath condo on 8th floor) #496423. Contact us if you would like more information on these properties.
Why the Owner Chose Mahone Bay:
Once you visit the Commodore House you will see why we fell in love with it. The views are breathtaking and the tranquiality surrounding you here provide an instant 'at peace' calming feeling.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Mahone Bay, famous for it's three churches, is a picture perfect place to visit and play. You will never forget your visit to this breath taking part of Nova Scotia.
- Primary: +1 613-446-9726 Ottawa, ON
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Rear view of house and parking
View from any window in front of house
Private Beach access across the street.
New Kitchen with view of Bay.
Down stairs sun room used as office
Lunenburg bump with telescope
Down stairs bedroom with reading area and ensuite
Small upstairs 'princess bedroom'
Second Upstairs bedroom
One of Three baths with jet tub.
Welcome to 'The Commodore House' named after Commodore William Prine Hayes.
View of part of the front
Living Room and staircase
Formal dining with butler's pantry.
Vanity area in down stairs master bedroom with pocket door to full bath.
Second Downstairs bedroom
Upstairs bedroom with doorway to sunroom and upper deck.
Upper sun room with deck acess to the best views of the bay!
Ensuite bath with shower
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Monday, January 27, 2014
5 Bedroom / 3 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.