Beautifully Updated & Appointed Vintage Home... Mere Steps to the Cafe!
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:2-4 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Gearhart cottage description
Tarry by the Sea is a delightful 1914 vintage home located in the village of Gearhart, Oregon. Tarry is the consummate refuge; a place to unwind, put your feet up, and renew.
Walk to the ocean for breathtaking views of the sea and beach comb to your hearts content. Relax on our enclosed sun porch while you read, nap, or leisurely access your internet favorites with our WIFI connection.
Whip up something yummy in the newly remodeled kitchen! Get away from it all & enjoy Gearhart's quiet and sleepy tempo. Come and Tarry by the Sea!
- 1800 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 8
- All four bedrooms are on the 2nd floor with 400ct sheets, goose down comforters (and goose down alternatives) & extra Martex fleece blankets for those stormy nights. Several antique wrought iron beds and one bed made from a 1914 five-panel door we found in the garage! Lights are on dimmer switches and fans are in the closets. Brand new windows in every room bring incredible light inside! The sun comes up on one side and says 'good night' on the other. We are book worms so you'll notice that for every bed, there are three pillows per person. Plump them up, sleep in, read a whole book, relax. Ahhhh....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
Dishes & Utensils:
Crate & Barrel plates, bowls & mugs. Wine, pilsner and water glasses. Open up the cabinets and familiarize yourself. The Guest info book at Tarry also has specifics of where to find things....moreless
- Pantry Items:
- Coffee Maker:
- Towels Provided:
- Linens Provided:
- Iron & Board
- Washing Machine
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Lawn / Garden:
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
- Medical Services
- Mountain Climbing
- Mountain Biking
- Basketball Court
- Horseback Riding
- Water Parks
- Bird Watching
- Outlet Shopping
- Paddle Boating
- Scenic Drives
- Gearhart is a sleepy little village reminiscent of New England coastal communities. Astoria is 20 minutes north and filled with antiques, coffee shops & all kind of historical markers. Be sure to catch Fort Stevens and the Peter Iredale shipwreck. There's also a yearly battle reenactment that is fun for the whole family. With Seaside's boardwalk, promenade, aquarium, restaurants & shops just minutes away to the south, there are lots of fun activities for kids and adults alike. Fifteen minutes south of Gearhart is Cannon Beach, filled with art galleries, coffee shops, boutiques and the iconic Haystack Rock. Gearhart's own Pacific Way Cafe & Bakery, the McMenamin's Sand Trap pub (live music on the weekends!) and golf options galore ensure that staying at Tarry by the Sea will be a memorable experience for all our Guests....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Everything was great
Everything was great
Loved the stylish decor, looks just like the pictures. 4 bedrooms for a great price, beautiful kitchen with everything we needed, we made all our meals in the house. The fire pit was also great. Kids made s'mores. The sun room was our favorite. Very quiet street. Owner was friendly and quick to set up our last minute request to rent. The beach was beautiful and very close by. And just 2 blocks to small town grocery and cafe. We plan to stay here again.
- Guest Welovevacation (Hillsboro, Oregon )
- Date of stay 07/08/13
- Review Submitted 07/11/13
Recommended for: Romantic getaway, sightseeing, families with young children, age 55+, families with teenagers, girls getaway.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
2 night min stay
Jun 15 - Sep 15
4 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
--Low Season Sunday check in to Sunday check out is $1000.
--High Season Sunday check in to Sunday check out is $1500.
--Rates are subject to change until reservations are confirmed and deposit received.
--All major holidays have a 3 night minimum stay
--No Saturday check-outs during the high season.
-Low Season: TWO night minimum. Half of total is due when reserved. Final amount due 30-days prior to arrival.
-High Season: FOUR night minimum. Full refund if cancelled 60 days prior to arrival. No refund if cancelled within the 60-day-to-arrival period.
-Low Season: TWO night minimum. Full refund if cancelled 30 days prior to arrival. No refund if cancelled within the 30-day-to-arrival period.
Additional Fees and Taxes:
Tax: 1.5% included in the rental rate
Cleaning fee: $95
Deposit: $250 refundable security deposit
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Portland International Airport at 94 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Route 101 at 0.5 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Gearhart at 0.5 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: McMenamins Sand Trap at 0.9 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Gearhart Golf at 0.9 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Pacific Way Cafe at 0.2 Miles
Year Purchased: 2013
About the owner: We live in Portland and have always vacationed along the Oregon Coast. Whether it was in an RV hitting up all the antique stores, or us kids loading up on old books and reading all the way along hwy 101, the beach has very special memories.
Why the Owner Chose Gearhart:
Gearhart has been the destination of choice for years and years. Whether for a week long stay or just a cup of coffee and a quick walk before returning to Portland, this has always been a very special place. We wanted a place where we could be within two blocks of the cafe and grocery store. Knowing from there it's just a quick zip to the ocean. When we saw the beautiful dark wood, exposed beams and all of the charm we knew we were done for. Restoring this wonderful old home has been a labor of love and we are thrilled with the beautiful result. Oh how we hope you adore it and return year after year!
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
I've always dreamed of a place where family and friends gather, create new memories, rest and get away from the crazy pace of life. The new windows let the light pour in, the wonderful bedrooms make a bookworm want to read all day, the gleaming original fir floors all reflect it's 100-year old charm. Enjoy the summer porch, the two huge yards, the fire-pit and the perfect proximity to golf courses, McMenamin's pub, the cafe and grocery store. Walk on the beach or further down, drive on the shore. Hunt for whole sand dollars and dream, rest, read, puzzle and connect in this very special home.
- Primary: +01 971-275-3691
Welcome to Tarry By The Sea! Enjoy the original 1914 exposed beams & charm...
There's nothing better on a stormy evening than using the new gas fireplace!
Two extra leaves are to the right of the pie safe to extend the table. Seats 10!
Crate & Barrel, Cuisinart & lots of other accoutrements for you to enjoy!
Enjoy the sitting/TV area in the Astoria bedroom.
Light pours in through the new windows....perfect spot for a nap!
Crisp, clean and super comfy!
Fresh bedding in every room, extra fluffy pillows, subtle attention to detail.
New windows throughout allow for a wonderful cross breeze on summer nights!
Tarry has a full bathroom on each floor with Shower/Tub & lots of fluffy towels.
Enjoy the fire-pit in the back yard. Bring your own wood or nab at the grocer.
Who can resist a walk on the beach?
The large living room opens to the summer porch & the fire-pit.
Enjoy the morning sun & copious amounts of coffee in the dining room!
Kitchen is brand new w/hints of red. You can cook up your own storm! Explore!
The Astoria is the master bedroom & has an additional sitting/TV area.
All new bedding, paint, lighting, fixtures, pillows & yummy details throughout.
The Manzanita has vintage iron twin beds and lots of extra pillows for lounging.
The Cannon has a queen bed and a trundle which is helpful for little ones.
The Gearhart has a queen bed with a headboard made from a 5-panel door.
The lower level bathroom is conveniently located off the mud room.
Find whole sand dollars as you beach comb!
Tarry is on .34 acres and the inside has been beautifully restored & updated!
Walk, beach comb, shell hunt, build sand castles and enjoy!
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Saturday, July 06, 2013
4 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.