Be a Part of the Mile and a Half Club!
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:1-4 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Evergreen cottage description
Fool's Gold is a one bedroom, one bathroom cottage on Snyder Mountain 8700 feet up. It's a sunny south facing hacienda with a deck and scenic mountain views that overlooks protected BLM land making wildlife viewing incredible.
Fool's Gold Cottage is located on the border of both Jefferson and Clear Creek Counties making it a convenient place to enjoy the outdoor activities both counties have to offer: rafting, skiing, hiking, mountain biking, road biking, running, mountaineering, mountain climbing, zip lining, elite athletic training, and hunting to name a few. If you want to visit Denver, it's only a 50 minute drive. There are also plenty of trails right by the cottage.
Fool's Gold was built in the 1980s. Her sister, Goldie, the home we currently live in 150 feet from Fool's Gold, was built in the early 1970s and was the first house in the area. The paperwork we have on the home has President Grover Cleveland's signature on it when he signed the land over to be developed! When Fool's Gold was built, it was basically a framed house with water, a kitchen, a bathroom with a shower pan, sink and toilet, and electricity. There was not any drywall or flooring. I used her for a while as my office until a neck injury prevented me for continuing that line of work. It was at that time we decided to fix her up and rent her out. She was a yearly rental from August 2011 to August 2013. We are currently remodeling Goldie, our current house, who will become a prospective vacation rental in 2016.
The roads to Fool's Gold are paved until you reach our subdivision. There is less than one mile of dirt road to the cottage itself. Front wheel drive cars do just fine up here and the roads are well maintained.
For those of you coming back for an update, Fool's Gold upgrades have been completed and now it is just putting on/in the cosmetic features to have her completely finished by the end of the year. The pictures show what is left to finish and the surrounding terrain. *Because of the surrounding terrain, and being in the mountains in general, please make sure that the cottage would be suitable for your family if you have children under the age of six.* We are offering a reduced rate for the month of November (except for Thanksgiving Week) because she still needs those finishing touches. The cottage is VERY CLEAN and FUNCTIONAL, which you will see in the photos and again these should be completed by the end of the year or sooner.
Up to one dog is allowed on the property for an additional pet rent charge with owner approval ($10/day to $25/day, dependent upon the number of days staying and the size of the dog). Also, we require a non-refundable property damage protection fee in lieu of a refundable deposit. That fee can range from $49 to $89, depending upon the number of nights you will be staying. We do have dogs on the property and they are fenced in. If you book online, the damage protection fee is $89.00 regardless, so you may want to call me if you are staying less than one week.
Being in the hospitality industry for over a decade, this is second nature for me to manage a vacation rental. This is an exciting adventure for us and we hope you will come along for the journey during our inaugural year and become a part of the Mile and Half Club!
Tracey Smith - Property Manager
- 850 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Pets Considered:
- Children Welcome:
- Non Smoking Only:
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Events Allowed
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4, Beds for 2-4
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Pantry Items:
- Dishes & Utensils
- Washing Machine:
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Towels Provided
- Video Library
- DVD Player
- Deck / Patio
- Outdoor Grill
- Tourist Attractions
- Sports & Activities
- Away From It All
Location & View
The cottage is tucked away in the gorgeous mountains of Evergreen. It's a quiet community and a great retreat from home. The cottage faces south and the sunsets paint the mountains with their glow....moreless
- Whitewater Rafting
- Mountain Climbing
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Massage Therapist
- Ice Skating
- Hunting Small Game
- Hunting Big Game
- Basketball Court
- Rock Climbing
- Cross Country Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Winery Tours
- Gambling Casinos
- Bird Watching
- Botanical Garden
- Recreation Center
- Wildlife Viewing
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Paddle Boating
- Sight Seeing
- This cute and cozy cottage is located in the mountains of Evergreen, Colorado, Clear Creek County- close to many outdoor activity areas around! The land that is not developed where the cottage is, is BLM land and the wildlife viewing includes fox, deer, elk, Albert's black squirrel, cougar (if you are lucky to see one), bald eagles (another lucky find), hawks, various humming birds, finches, meadowlark, lark bunting (state bird) and bear. Oh, and don't forget about all the natural vegetation in the area: Columbines, wildflowers, pines, aspens, the list goes on. There are plenty of hunting trails in the area. For more information about hunting in this area, please visit the Colorado Department of Wildlife. If you are the athletic type and are training, or just a fitness enthusiast in general, then this area is for you! Just walking around the area provides beautiful walks. Looking for something more challenging? Then bike, run, walk, or hike up Witter Gulch Road towards Mount Evans or even drive to Mount Evans and ascend 17.7 miles to the top. Of course, you can drive there too! It's the highest paved road in America and reaches to a height of 14,240 feet. At the top, you can view the Mountain Sheep and the entire front range. Evergreen is one of the first cities on the way to the ski resorts as you climb I-70. Downtown Evergreen has a lake that offers year round activities including fishing, ice skating, hockey and non-motor boating. Downtown boarders the river where you can shop, dine and enjoy speaking with the all around good folks! If you are looking for ultimate relaxation, the cottage is just two miles to Tall Grass Spa. So after you have been pampered, you can mosey back to your peaceful cottage and relax without having to drive through the hectic traffic. We also offer delivery from the restaurants in the Evergreen area, so that can be ready for you upon your return too! Whether you are seeking to relax, test your mountain skills, and/or indulge in outdoor activities, Fool's Gold Cottage is just the right home away from home for you! We look forward to sharing more about Evergreen with you when you stay with us!...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Thank you Tracey!Guest comment entered by owner
Thank you Tracey!
Thank you Tracey so much - we had a great time staying at Fool's Gold Cottage!
- Guest Shawn B.
- Date of stay 10/31/13
- Review Submitted 11/06/13
Beautiful Place to StayGuest comment entered by owner
Beautiful Place to Stay
Thank you so much for such a beautiful place to stay! We really enjoyed ourselves!
- Guest Elisabeth F.
- Date of stay 10/27/13
- Review Submitted 10/31/13
Thank you sooooo much!Guest comment entered by owner
Thank you sooooo much!
Thank you soooo much Tracey! You rock! We had the best time ever - my wife wants to move in!
- Guest Ken & Julie
- Date of stay 10/25/13
- Review Submitted 10/31/13
Can't Wait...Guest comment entered by owner
***** Greetings! I had the privilege of working with Tracey Smith when she was an executive recruiter. I found Tracey to be one of the most attentive, dedicated people in that industry, and my experience with her was very positive. Tracey is someone I trust and would count on as a business owner. The same qualities that made her an awesome recruiter will most certainly be evident as she pursues the hospitality industry. I am confident that a stay at Fools Gold will be great experience, and I look forward to staying there when in Evergreen.
- Guest John C.
- Date of stay 10/01/13
- Review Submitted 10/23/13
Returning Satisfied GuestGuest comment entered by owner
Returning Satisfied Guest
Great cozy getaway for you and yours!! Evergreen trees a midst skies made me feel comforted in by fresh air, a warm welcome, and lots of animals seen along the way and on the property with great walking roads for a good stretch. Guaranteed you’ll leave feeling rested and refreshed. You don’t want to miss this gem in the Evergreen Woods…calm, quiet, peaceful and beautifully refurbished to nestle you in and keep you coming back for more. Thanks, Smiths!!! Returning Satisfied Guest
- Guest Rhonda K.
- Date of stay 09/21/13
- Review Submitted 10/23/13
Mini-VacationGuest comment entered by owner
Thank you for the mini-vacation. It was beautiful!
- Guest P.F.
- Date of stay 09/27/13
- Review Submitted 10/15/13
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|Feast and Relax in the Mtns!
Nov 27 - Dec 1
4 night min stay
|My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Rates are subject to change until reservation is confirmed.
Up to four people only. Parties with over three people will be subject to a $10/day rental fee.
Fees and Rental Conditions:
- Property Damage Protection: $49
- Additional Tenant Fee: $10 + tax
- Tax Rate 5.9%
You can cancel, but you will not receive a refund.
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Denver International Airport at 59 Miles
- Nearest Train: Amtrak at Union Station, Denver at 32 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Interstate 70 at 12 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Stagecoach Bar and Grill at 7 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Loveland Ski Resort at 31 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Evergreen Golf Course at 9 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Stagecoach Bar and Grill at 7 Miles
Year Purchased: 2004
About the owner: Tracey is a graduate of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, CA. She paid her way through college working at a resort hotel in Pismo Beach. After graduating, she sold everything she owned and moved to Hawaii. She obtained a sales position at the Ritz-Carlton and was part of the team that won the prestigious Malcolm-Baldridge Quality Award. After spending a year in Hawaii (1992 to 1993), she moved to Colorado and it has been her home ever since. Larry attended the University of Texas on a running scholarship. He has been an elite athlete for the majority of his life running his first marathon when he was 12 years old. He has run numerous marathons and races since and came to Colorado in 1992 to train for the 2000 Olympics. He came close; 20 seconds off the time needed to qualify in the Steeplechase. He is currently training for the Leadville 100 mile race. He loves living up here as it is a perfect training ground right in his own backyard. Tracey and Larry have a daughter named Oakley and three dogs: Bruce Lee, Chow Chow; Queen Snortiffa, Bulldogge; and Cleo Pattra, Great Dane Mix.
Why the Owner Chose Evergreen:
Evergreen is a great place to live! It's rural enough, yet close enough to urban offerings. The property's views will not change because it is BLM land and there are many trails within a mile of the property for outdoor enthusiasts. We love it here and we will always consider Evergreen our true home. The only reason we have big city traffic jams is due to elk crossings!!
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
When we first bought these homes, they were basically wooden tents. We have worked hard over the last 9 years to build these home from the ground floor with lots of sweat, tears (dust in our eyes, hammers hitting the fingers, bruises everywhere) and love. We are so glad that we can share our place with you and we hope you are just as inspired to pursue your dreams as we were we saw it here.
- Primary: 3037477900
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Fool's Gold Today - watch as she's even more upgraded!
View from bedroom to Roman shower - will install LED lights under glass block
Walk-in Roman Shower - very bright and sunny!
Living room/kitchen area looking outside in. Washer is a washer/dryer combo
Wall across from futon -will be covered with decorative vent
Walk way to cottage - maintained during snow
Bottom of driveway - about 75 yards from bottom to top of driveway
Day after spring snow
First snow of 2013 looking from Goldie
View @ check in from top of stairs
What needs to be finished - glass blocks on dark window and vent covers
Bathroom - there is storage available behind the wall
Dining room/sitting area
Wall opposite futon - will be redone
Picture of outside patio area - eventually there will be a french door here
Driveway to cottage. There is recycled asphalt down now and it's plowed
View of Aspen Place road leading to cottage - dirt road
Morning view from the deck of Fool's Gold
Snacking in the shadows of Snyder Mountain
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Wednesday, November 13, 2013
Get a rental quote, then book it!