Custom Home on Backwash Bay
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:Ask Manager
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Cabo Matapalo house description
Mindugar is a premier rental property on the Southern tip of Costa Rica’s Osa Peninsula. The home offers luxury in an extraordinary jungle setting. Take in breathtaking views of Costa Rica’s natural wildlife from the privacy of this eight-acre estate. The property rises gradually from Backwash Beach and stretches across a section of lush tropical gardens backing up to a mountainside draped in abundant rainforest. The home is situated at the base of the mountain, approximately 35 meters above the water and less than 100 yards from the sand; and boasts garden and ocean views. The open-air design of the home takes advantage of both mountain and ocean breezes throughout the day. Mindugar is the ultimate in tropical coastal living. The attention to detail and amenities provided ensure comfort in a secluded setting.
Spanning roughly 10,000 square feet, Mindugar consists of a large communal area known as the Casa Grande, three detached bungalows, and plenty of outdoor living space. The Casa Grande contains a master bedroom suite, kitchen, dining area, bar, living room, guest bathroom, pool and patio. A spiral staircase made from tropical hardwoods takes you to the master bedroom which is furnished with a king size bed, ceiling fan, closet space, flat screen TV with DVD player, iPod docking station, and large bathroom with his and her sinks. The living area contains bamboo-framed sofas, chairs, a coffee table, satellite TV, DVD player and an iPod docking station. The kitchen is fully equipped with a professional gas range, two chest style refrigerators, microwave, toaster oven, coffee maker, and all the cooking utensils one needs. The dining area features an oversized table custom made from local hardwoods. The table seats twelve people comfortably. Just off the dinning area is a bar with a small sink, sofa, and bar stools. A full size guest bathroom is also located on the main floor. The focal point of the Casa Grande is a large infinity pool that disappears into the tropical scenery and blue waters of Backwash Bay. The pool includes a shallow area great for sunbathing, as well as a deep end that measures 15 feet deep. Each of the detached bungalows is equipped with two queen beds, ceiling fans, full bathroom, closet, outdoor shower, and patio space. Manicured trails lead to each of the bungalows from the Casa Grande.
Throughout the booking process, you will work with a full time property manager. The property manager is able to assist with travel arrangements and answer any questions you might have. Once you arrive, they will provide a concierge service assisting with tours and providing information about the area. The house is cleaned daily, and linens are changed every three nights. There is also a 24hr onsite caretaker that can handle maintenance issues during your stay.
Mindugar is perfect for families or groups of friends looking for adventure and relaxation in a remote jungle setting. Offering luxury and privacy, you’re sure to enjoy your vacation in style.
- 10000 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Lunch - Booking Possible
- Dinner - Booking Possible
- Catering Available
- Breakfast - Booking Possible
- Private Chef
- Housekeeper Included
- Children Welcome
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Smoking Allowed
- Events Allowed
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12, Beds for 12
Bathrooms: 5 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Dining Area Seats:
- Coffee Maker
- Pantry Items
- Dishes & Utensils
- Washing Machine:
- Linens Provided
- Towels Provided
- DVD Player:
- Satellite / Cable:
- Ping Pong Table
Pool & Spa
- Private Pool
- Deck / Patio:
- Outdoor Grill
- Lawn / Garden
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
Location & View
- Ocean View
- Car Not Necessary
- Beach View
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Deepsea Fishing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Scenic Drives
- Whale Watching
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Horseback Riding
- Massage Therapist
- Wildlife Viewing
- Cabo Matapalo, known by the locals as simply Matapalo, is a small community located 15 km south on a bumpy dirt road from the town of Puerto Jimenez. The area consists of a scattering of eco-lodges and rental homes with one local bar. There are no banks or grocery stores, so make sure to stock up in Puerto Jimenez before heading out. Over the years, Matapalo has become a surf destination. It borders a beach along the Pacific Ocean that routinely ushers in large swells. There are several areas to surf. The waves vary in difficulty, allowing for beginner to expert surfing opportunity. The abundant wildlife also makes this area popular among travelers. Four species of monkeys, scarlet macaws, toucans, sloths, agoutis, and coatimundis are just a small sample of the wildlife that one sees on a regular basis. The Audobon Society has named Cabo Matapalo one of the premiere bird watching venues in the world. Matapalo is where travelers go to be at one with nature and find ultimate relaxation. The pristine rainforests and rugged natural beauty of the Osa Peninsula make this region one of the most beautiful areas in Costa Rica. Declared one of the most biologically intense places on Earth by National Geographic Magazine, the Osa Peninsula has become the premier eco-tourism destination in the country. The Osa Peninsula is a secluded nature wonderland, playing home to many of the country’s rare and endangered animal and bird species, including squirrel monkeys, jaguars, and other forest cats. With a large chunk of the peninsula forming the Corcovado National Park, this area has the single largest expanse of lowland tropical rainforest in Central America and is one of the tallest rainforests in the world. The area hosts more than 375 bird species, a fourth of Costa Rica's tree species and more than 4000-5000 vascular plant species, many of which are found nowhere else on earth. The rain forest is made up of 700 tree species — the greatest diversity of tree species in all of Central America. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
7 night min stay
Dec 1 - Apr 30
7 night min stay
May 1 - Aug 31
7 night min stay
Sep 1 - Nov 30
7 night min stay
Dec 21 - Dec 28, 2013
8 night min stay
Dec 29 - Jan 5, 2014
8 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Rates are set for up to 8 guests. Additional guests are $40/person/night. Maximum occupancy is 12.
50% is required to confirm the booking. The balance is due prior to arrival.
Additional Fees and Taxes:
There are no additional fees or taxes.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Puerto Jimenez at 13 Miles
- Nearest Ferry: Puerto Jimenez to Golfito at 13 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Backwash at Cabo Matapalo
- Nearest Barpub: Buena Esperanza at 1 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Encanta La Vida at 0.25 Miles
This large dining table can seat up to 12.
Sunrise over Backwash Bay
Pingpong table located just off the back of the living room.
The pool measures 15 feet deep
Each bungalows has it's own private patio
There are 2 queen beds in each bungalow
The kitchen is fully stocked with appliances, cooking utensils, and spices.
Scarlet Macaw's can be seeing flying by the house on a daily basis.
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Wednesday, August 21, 2013
4 Bedroom / 5 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.