Beautiful Villa in One of 'Italy's Most Beautiful Small Towns.'
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Acquapendente villa description
This beautifully restored private villa and its grounds are reserved entirely for you and your traveling companions. Built in the early 1920s, its 2,400 square feet of living space have been completely modernized without sacrificing their original detail.
You’ll enjoy the best of both worlds. The old-world style and elegance of carefully selected antiques blend with the comfort of plush, imported mattresses, fine towels and linens, cotton blankets, goose-down duvets and loads of pillows. Relax in the living room and escape with Italian and English (satellite) TV, or congregate in the dining room around the grand table and fireplace. You’ll find yourself at home anywhere in the villa.
The villa comfortably sleeps up to eight people in four equal-size bedrooms, one on the ground floor and three upstairs. There are three full bathrooms, one downstairs and two up. Common areas include a cozy living room with satellite television, a large dining room with fireplace, and a fully-equipped kitchen. Italian antiques and oriental carpets sprinkled throughout add an extra elegant touch.
The villa’s half acre of landscaped gardens are bordered on one side by the village, one side by the Monte Rufeno Nature Reserve, and on two sides by green pasture. A 400 year-old chestnut tree with seven trunks serves as the focal point for the garden and provides welcome summer shade for two rope hammocks that rest beneath it. Depending on the season, the gardens provide chestnuts, wild cherries, golden plums, white and red grapes, hazelnuts, pine nuts and peaches for the table. In the summer months, the small ‘orto’ yields home-grown tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, eggplant, zucchini, celery, onions and garlic, while ‘the girls’ keep guests supplied in fresh eggs. Lavender, oregano, basil, salvia, rosemary, mentuccia, and various mints and thymes are distributed liberally near the kitchen door. Wisteria and hydrangea add colorful highlights to the pergola and gazebo, while potted geraniums and coleus decorate the villa’s front wall and courtyard.
Situated on a ridge at 2,000 feet elevation, the medieval village of Torre Alfina offers crisp, fresh air and wonderful views over the Latium, Umbrian and Tuscan countrysides. The village guards the entrance to Italy’s Monte Rufeno Nature Reserve – 7,500 acres of protected public wilderness with forested hills, pristine forest, trout streams, and unique fauna and flora. Several of the park’s bicycle and hiking trails start from the village.
- 2400 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Events Allowed
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 8
- Garden Room Two twin beds on ground level with views to the garden and the castle. Beds can be pulled together to make a faux king. Church Room Two twin beds on 2nd floor with views to the village church and Monte Rufeno Nature Reserve. Listen to the sounds of the Reserve at night, and wake to the sound of church bells. Castle Room Queen pillow-top mattress with views to the castle and garden; Antique dresser and vanity. Armoir in hallway; Chair. Castagna Room King bed with views to the pergola, 400 year-old chestnut tree and the Nature Reserve. En suite bath with sink, toilet, bidet and shower with sunflower shower head; All bedrooms have ceiling fans, A/C, antique armoirs and dressers, chair, two large windows with retractable screens, and internal and external window shutters. All bedroom have 400-thread count cotton linens, luxurious bedspreads, cotton blankets, hypoallergenic duvet comforters and a selection of pillows ...moreless
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Pantry Items:
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Child's Highchair
- Air Conditioning:
- Towels Provided:
- Linens Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Torre Alfina is in a volcanic region surrounded by spa towns with everything from exclusive (ie. Conde Naste's no 1 rated medical spa at San Casciano dei Bagni) to free public thermal springs. Situated on a crest at 2000 feet, the summer temperatures are usually quite pleasant, especially ay night. ...moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
- Video Library
Pool & Spa
Less than 8 miles away as the crow flies, 15 miles by road, lies Lake Bolsena, Europe's largest volcanic lake; swimming, sun-bathing, boat rides, boats for hire, sailing are all available here;...moreless
- Lawn / Garden:
- Lanai / Gazebo:
- Ski & Snowboard:
- Deck / Patio:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Tourist Attractions
- Sports & Activities
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Mountain View
- Massage Therapist
- Fly Fishing
- Horseback Riding
- Mountain Biking
- Freshwater Fishing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Winery Tours
- Sight Seeing
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Torre Alfina is a medieval agricultural village whose origin dates to the 1200s. The village grew up around a fortified castle on a bluff overlooking the 'Alta Tuscia,' or the Etruscan highlands. Today it sits on the edge of the large Monte Rufeno Nature Reserve, overlooking Orvieto and the central valley to the east, and the mountains of southern Tuscany to the west. Torre Alfina sits in the 'lantern' of the region of Lazio (Latium), 10 miles from the border of Tuscany and four miles form the border of Umbria. This makes it the perfect location for visiting the most popular tourist destinations of all three regions, including Rome, Florence, Assisi, Todi, Perugia, Orvieto, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Siena, Civita di Bagnoreggio, Bagni San Filippo, Bolsena, San Casciano dei Bagni, Sorano, Sovano and Pitigliano. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
BEAUTIFUL VILLA, FANTASTIC LOCATION
BEAUTIFUL VILLA, FANTASTIC LOCATION
This was our 4th trip to the Villa including the spring when we enjoyed Easter and the festivals, summer included a trip to Le Marche and the beaches on the Adriatic and fall for the new wine, mushrooms and fresh press olive oil. All seasons have something unique to offer both family and friends Traveling. We continue to return to what feels like a home away from home. Set in the beautiful Village of Torre Alfina with a great view of the Castle plus a bar/gelateria, bakery, 2 resturants and convienance shop for those items left behind. The Villa is perfectly set on Lovely grounds with gardens and a pergola near the wood fireplace/grill. Great for outdoor dining or a glass of wine from the fully stocked wine cellar. Rustic and modern features are very successfully blended. The owners have anticipated our every need . Highlight, the library includes guides and suggestions for day trips, wineries, resturants and all things Italian. We toured the Custodi Winery and ate in many of the suggested resturants including Nuovo Castello, just around a short walk in the Village. Try the Spagetti & Onions! We found The Villa location great for Exploring Tuscany & Umbria . Each day was a different experience , the hill towns like Montepulciano or the cities like Seina & Oriveto ,short drives. The train station located in Orvieto was great for our trips to Florence and Rome. Although some days we simply enjoyed a stroll in the Village for a expresso or gelato or the property gardens & in The hammock a nice resting place for a good read. I just made my reservation for 2014, I suggest you do the same.
- Guest Frank L.
- Date of stay 10/05/13
- Review Submitted 11/20/13
Recommended for: Girls getaway, age 55+, adventure seekers, romantic getaway, families with young children, families with teenagers, sightseeing.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|Christmas / New Year
Dec 21 - Jan 3, 2014
7 night min stay
Apr 19 - Jun 27, 2014
7 night min stay
Jun 28 - Aug 29, 2014
7 night min stay
Aug 30 - Oct 31, 2014
7 night min stay
|My Standard Rate
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Cancellation Policy: The following penalties apply: 30% of the rental price applies if the cancellation is made 70 or more days before the start of the rental period; 75% of the rental price if the cancellation is made from 69 to 33 days before the start of the rental period; 100% of the rental price if the cancellation is made 32 days or less before the start of the rental period.
- Refundable Damage Deposit: $500
- Taxes Included
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Rome Fiumicino at 103 Miles
- Nearest Train: Orvieto Scalo at 12 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Orvieto Scalo at 14 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Montalto di Castro (Mediterranean) at 42 Miles
- Nearest Barpub: Sarchione at 50 Metres
- Nearest Ski: Abbadia San Salvatore (Monte Amiata, Tuscany) at 31 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Acquapendente at 8 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Ristorante Nuovo Castello at 20 Metres
Year Purchased: 2004
About the owner: Jeff and Robin are American nationals who met in the Peace Corps in Sierra Leone, West Africa. They are career humanitarian officers for the United Nations. Their work takes them to different UN duty stations around the world, as needed, every 2-4 years. As such, the villa is their permanent 'foot on the ground,' their 'comfort zone' their eventual retirement destination. As such, it is furnished warmly as a home, not as a 'rental,' something that is much appreciated by their guests. One-third of their guests are return visitors.
Why the Owner Chose Acquapendente:
This villa is perfectly located in a medieval village on the borders of Lazio, Tuscany and Umbria. The location allows guests to visit the major tourist venues from Rome to Florence, while returning each night to welcome tranquility, warm hospitality and the food, food, food of village Italy. The village of Torre Alfina enjoys the distinction of being one of Italy's 'Most Beautiful Small Towns' ('I Borghi Piu Belli d'Italia.')
The Unique Benefits at this Villa:
Double-glazed windows and doors, internal and external shutters, energy-efficient appliances, upgraded electrical service, retractable window screens, unlimited on-demand hot water for baths and showers (guests will never argue over who used all the hot water!), silent split air conditioning in the bedrooms, wireless internet, unlimited direct-dial free calls to fixed lines the United States and Canada are only a few of the things that set this Italian villa apart from the competition. All–Clad cookware, American and French drip coffee makers, coffee grinder, unlimited complimentary white and red local wines and locally-produced extra virgin olive oil help ensure that La Villa di Torre Alfina lives up to it’s tagline: “More than you can imagine!”
- Primary: +1 (727) 474-1242
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Monday, October 28, 2013