Family Friendly House Within Walking Distance of the Beach
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:30 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Carpinteria house description
Our family home is located in a quiet neighborhood. The large, fenced yard is perfect for children to explore and observe nature. It is also dog friendly.
One of the most attractive things about are place is that it is a short walk to the beach. A 10 minute walk down the street and over the railroad tracks to be on the Carpinteria Bluffs overlooking the Jelly Bowl beach.
From there, there is a path right to the seal sanctuary, left to the state beach, or stairs down to the Jelly Bowl.
The beach can be seen from the patio which has been has been a gathering place for many celebrations with family and friends. The property has been used for two wedding celebrations over the years,as well as, a fiftieth anniversary party.
There are numerous fruit trees which add beauty, as well as, yield fruit throughout the year. Flowers have been planted to attract birds and butterflies. Sitting on the glider to enjoy the scenery is very calming.
The kitchen a double gas oven and a range. There a skylight over the oven and a garden window to light the area during the day. A set of non-stick pots and pans make clean-up easier. The new microwave is large. The coffee pot, toaster oven, and blender are lightly used.
The house has fireplace in the living room, which is nice in the winter. There is a door out to the patio in this room. Firewood is stored on the left side of the cabinet right outside the door. A skylight above the couch brightens the room. We have WiFi and cable TV available. This room opens into sun room and has a long accordion sliding door to separate the two rooms, if someone is sleeping on the queen-sized futon in the sun room.
In addition to having more sleeping space, the sun room offers a beautiful view of the sunset over the ocean and the backyard. Games can be played or puzzles assembled at the folding table stored behind the futon. A washer and dryer are in the corner of this room. Behind the laundry area is a full bathroom.
Down the hall from the living room, are the two original bedrooms. They each have a new queen-sized bed and face the backyard.
As you go through the original full bathroom, there is a small space with a full-sized futon for reading, relaxing, or sleeping. From there, you enter a bedroom with a full-sized bed. On the other side of the wall is a bedroom with two twin beds.
The house itself was built in 1957. Over the years, our parents have made changes to the house. First they converted the garage into two bedrooms. Next, they added a sun room, and another bathroom to accommodate large group gatherings. They also renovated the kitchen, and the original full bathroom.
In the past year, we have had new wood laminate flooring installed in the bedrooms and refinished the existing wooden floors. Three of the wall heaters have been replaced. Also, there is a new toilet in the bathroom in the sun room, as well as, new faucets in the kitchen and 2 bathrooms.
- 1600 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
Many children have played in our backyard with delight. Our place is at the bottom of a hill. My mother terraced it. On the upper level, there is a patio with a lawn-covered area behind it. On the lower level, we have a large area for playing or digging in the sand. Behind that is an orchard of fruit trees. My children have happy memories of playing there. One of my daughters said she used to imagine she was in a magical realm. Another said it is a little bit of heaven. Now, their children look forward to vacations at this house....moreless
We welcome dogs. A chain link fence has been installed to help contain them. (However, Houdini hound may be able to escape.) An addition cleaning fee will be asked. Also for the consideration of the neighbors, please clean up after your pets. ...moreless
- Non Smoking Only:
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12, Beds for 8-12
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Satellite / Cable
- DVD Player
- Lawn / Garden
- Deck / Patio
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Mountain View:
- Wildlife Viewing
- Surf Fishing
- Medical Services
- Equestrian Events
- Sight Seeing
- Eco Tourism
- Bird Watching
- From our house, you can walk down the street and over the railroad tracks to the Carpinteria Bluffs. There are stairs leading down to the Jelly Bowl beach. To go to the state beach from the Jelly Bowl walk north. Carpinteria Beach is called the World's Safest Beach because the Channel Islands block the riptides from coming to shore. Surfers frequent the Jelly Bowl and Rincon beaches. At low tide, various forms of wildlife can be seen in the tide pools. This town is very tourist friendly. On Linden Ave. the street that leads to the beach, there are many unique stores and restaurants to please various appetites. Robataille's Candy Store offers chocolates made on site, along with a wide variety of sweets. On Thursday afternoons, the street is closed down in front of Vons grocery store for a weekly Farmer's Market which features local produce and other items. The Coastal Brewing Company is located across from the railroad station to enjoy a beer while watching the sunset. Carpinteria Ave. also has many businesses and services. Next to the Junior High there is a community pool. Two blocks up is the library. The Friends of the Library store next door has large selection of used books at reasonable prices. On the other side of the street in the same area is a bike shop, which rents, as well as, sells bikes. Past Linden is the little theater. Because Carpinteria is on the central coast, it is possible to take day trips to many other tourist areas. State beaches dot the coast. Missions built in the days of the Spanish explorers are still being used as churches in Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obsipo. La Purisima State Historical Park is a mission located near Buellton, which has been restored to be as it was when it was operational under the Spanish missionaries. There are various wineries around San Luis Obispo which offer tours and wine tasting. The train ride up or down to San Luis is very scenic. The tracks go through areas which cannot be accessed by an individual. If you enjoy amusement parks, Magic Mountain is only about one hour away. It is located in Santa Clariita. To get there, take the 101 south to the 126 east. Then, head south on the 5. Finally, take the Magic Mountain exit right. Santa Barbara has many attractions and events. The Annual Fiesta is in the beginning of August. Some points of interest are the zoo, the Art Museum, an historical museum, a natural history museum, just to name a few. There is a little aquarium on the pier, along with several shops and restaurants. Deep sea fishing boats and whale watching boats leave from the Santa Barbara Harbor. Ventura offers many shopping areas. The mission is on Main Street. Nearby, there are several thrift and resale stores. Early in August, there is County Fair right by the State Beach. Whale watching tours also leave the Ventura Harbor. Day trips are possible to the Los Angeles area. It is important to consider the congestion times, if planning to drive. Griffith Park offers a zoo, an observatory, several museums, train rides, and several other attractions. Other possible destinations are Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Legoland, and Universal Studios. Many other interesting sites are in this large metropolis. A drive south on Highway 1 offers many scenic views. Santa Monica and Malibu are located on this highway. The Santa Monica Pier offers rides, shopping and restaurants. The beach right next to the pier has a nice playground for free entertainment....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|My Standard Rate
30 night min stay
Fees and Rental Conditions:
- Property Damage Protection: $49
- Pet Fee: $150
- cleaning: $200
- Taxes Included
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Santa Barbara Airport at 22.1 Kilometres
- Nearest Train: Carpinteria Amtrak Station (only a 0.9 mi walk) at 1.3 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: Casitas Pass onramp to the 101 Freeway at 1 Kilometres
- Nearest Beach: Jelly Bowl Beach at 0.3 Kilometres
- Nearest Golf: Tee Time Practice Golf at 1.4 Kilometres
Year Purchased: 1961
About the owner: My family moved to Carpinteria in 1961, after our father retired from the military. Prior to settling here we had lived in several different places around the world. To us home was where the family was. I was the eldest of five children and was starting high school when we moved here. After attending college at U.C.S.B., I took a teaching job in Rosamond, where I met my husband. We were married in Carpinteria. The reception was at the house. After moving around a few places in CA, because of my husband' work, we ended up in a small city in Boulder City, NV. It has many of the same features as Carpinteria, except of course, the beach and the weather. All our children and grand children live here. therefore we decided to settle here. Over the years, there have been many trips to this property for family gatherings. Even though my husband, children, and grandchildren now live in Nevada, we think of Carpinteria as home.
Why the Owner Chose Carpinteria:
After traveling across the country in 1961, we ended up in Carpinteria. Our mother had dreamed of a house from which she could see the ocean and the mountains. This was that house, despite the fact that it only had two bedrooms. To remedy that, my father converted the garage into two more bedrooms. Even though my siblings and I have moved away, this has been a vacation destination for all of us throughout the years. When we inherited the house, my siblings and I made many trips to the house to ready it for a long term rental. On one of these trips, my sisters and I were sitting on the back patio enjoying the beauty of the yard, which my mother and father had worked so hard to establish. We realized that if we leased it, we would not be able to visit it often. My younger brother told us about VRBO and we decided that we would like to share it. It is a very serene, beautiful place, described by one family member as a little piece of heaven. I was recently at the house with my daughter, her two children, and another family with children between the ages of nine and fifteen. The sheer pleasure the visiting girls had while we were there made me realize that we had made the right choice.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
For us, the main benefit of our house is its tranquility. It feels like we are out in the country, away from the hussle and bussle of ever day life. Most of the time, the only sounds that can be heard are the birds and the ocean. The lot next door is used to grow vegetables. That lot is the only one between us and the railroad tracks. They seem to be used primarily by Amtrak trains which are short. Our other neighbor owns a rooster. For us, these add to the property's out in the country charm. To walk around the backyard is extremely calming for me. I love to see which plants are blooming. The birds are numerous. One day, I shared a sandwich with a scrub jay. Hummingbirds often hover close by, as if wanting to be noticed. Recently, my sister found a monarch butterfly cocoon. It was amazingly beautiful, a light green with golden dots, as of glided with tiny points of gold. Being able to walk almost anywhere in the town is also appealing to us. The people whom we have met have been very friendly and helpful. The town has a laid back feeling about it.
- Primary: +1 702-218-8328
- Secondary: + between 9:30 P.M and 7:00 A.M. Pacific Time in U.S
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
This is a view of the front of our house. The mountain can been seen behind.
The living room with its fireplace can be seen when entering the house.
The sliding door is used to separate the dining/living areas from the sun room.
The addition of the sun room opened brightened up the living area a great deal.
Cherimoyas are beautiful trees. The fruit tastes like a tropical fruit salad.
The sunset illuminates the ocean on the horizon, as seen from our patio.
This avocado tree was growing on the land when our parents bought the house.
East front bedroom
From behind the lawn is a nice view of the back of the house and the patio.
The wood paneling of the kitchen is original. A skylight helps brighten it.
This is the original full bathroom which has been remodeled.
A view from the patio to the rest of the yard with a red bougainvillea at back
Birds and flowers are plentiful in the backyard. Hummingbirds can come close.
From a bedroom, the mountains can be viewed behind the trees.
The master bedroom
View of the back yard that looks upon the mountains
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Wednesday, October 30, 2013
4 Bedroom / 2.5 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.