A Secluded Tropical Paradise!
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:5 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Kaaawa house description
Our Retreat is perfect for families or groups looking for the privacy and room of a tropical island estate. Located in Kaaawa, Hawaii, a small beach community nestled between spectacular mountains and beautiful beaches.
The retreat sits on over three acres of tropical rainforest ringed by the Koolau Mountains, just steps from a white sand beach with amazing sunrises and endless opportunities for fun, education, and relaxation.
The retreat is newly built with wood floors, high ceilings, and tropical touches. Our Ohana room has a 13' high wall of glass with sliding doors that open to the lush jungle, bird songs, and the rhythm of the ocean. Art from artists that have stayed at the retreat adorn the walls. The large deck is the place most guests seem to gather after a day of exploring. Ideal for BBQ, outside dining, or just relaxing.
We have four rooms, two with their own lanais (decks). All have new hotel pillow-topped beds that are luxuriously triple sheeted to assure your sleep is just as relaxing as your time at the beach.
The retreat was also designed to be wheelchair friendly with a ramp, large accessible doorways, hallways, and restrooms. Fluffy spa towels, tropical scented soaps and shampoos are provided.
The best part of staying at the retreat is the amazing environment. The rhythmic sound of the surf in your ears, the warm sun on your skin, and the sight of turquoise water under an azure sky are right out of your dreams. All this is a two minute walk from our front door.
Then you turn around and the cliffs seem to rise from the back of the property. They are simply spectacular,
cut from a volcano, wind, and waterfalls. The hiking, horseback riding, and exploring is just breathtaking!
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so instead of me trying to describe our magical spot on this little island, please take a look at our photos.
- 2200 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Pets Not Allowed
- Non Smoking Only
- Events Allowed
- Children Welcome
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10, Beds for 10
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Fluffy spa towels, tropical scented soaps and shampoos are provided.
Kitchen & Dining
- Coffee Maker
- Towels Provided
- Hair Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Outdoor Grill:
- Lanai / Gazebo
- Lawn / Garden
- Away From It All
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Surf Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Equestrian Events
- Mountain Climbing
- Pier Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Basketball Court
- Jet Skiing
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Botanical Garden
- Horseback Riding
- Deepsea Fishing
- Massage Therapist
- Whale Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Ocean activities in and around Kaaawa are boundless. The ocean can be everything from a playground for water sports to magical spot of healing and rejuvenation Just a two-minute walk from the house gets you to Swanzy Beach Park. Swanzy is a beach park with a white sand beach and a large grass area for picnics. It also has restroom facilities and a basketball/volleyball court. A short stroll down the road gets you to Kaaawa Beach Park. It is a ribbon of white sand that is perfect for sunrise walks, as it runs for about a mile. All of the beaches in Kaaawa have turquoise waters and palm trees. If you want to take four-minute car ride you can go to Kahana State park. Kahana is an eight square mile park that ranges from sea level up to mountains over 2,500 feet high. The wide crescent shaped beach, ringed by Ironwood trees that provide lots of shade, is a perfect beach to spend the day. Kahana is also a cultural park with pleasant hiking trails and an ancient Hawaiian fishpond along the ocean. Hawaiian legends speak of Kahana to the immediate north of the retreat center, and the Kualoa area to the south, as having rich histories and being associated with the gods. The Koolau Mountains, which run for over 30 miles along the coast of this part of the island of O'ahu, are the remains of a dormant volcano that collapsed and slid into the ocean hundreds of thousands of years ago. Waterfalls, rain, and wind have formed the deep crevasses in the slopes and cliffs. Today the mountains provide outdoor enthusiasts an amazing environment for hiking, bird watching, mountain biking, horseback riding, ATV (all terrain vehicle) and Jeep rides along with endless exploring of nature’s beauty. The Koolau Mountains are also a native forest bird habitat. Recently, large portions of the southern and central Koolau Mountains were established as a critical habitat for the endangered Oahu Elepaio (Chasiempis ibidis) Flycatcher....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Our family of 6 adults spent a week at the windward retreat center and LOVED the house, it's setting and location. If you are looking for something off the beat and path this is your place. The back yard is paradise, the front view of the mountains spectacular and the beach just a short walk away offers one of the most beautiful spots to watch the sunset cast colors on the east shore. The house is spotless, spacious, and well laid out. You will love the large back deck for coffee in the morning or relaxing in the evenings. Brett is the perfect warm and welcoming host, always there is provide help or answer questions you may have. In selecting a house I contacted over a hundred properties and Brett was the only one eager to answer the phone first try! You will get a wonderful taste of local country life and won't be ready to leave no matter how long your stay. The north shore is a beautiful drive away -- stop by the food truck park on the way in Kahuku and don't miss Ono Yo frozen yogurt. Haleiwa is a charming town on the north shore and a great stop for a meal (i.e. Haleiwa Joes back porch) beaching or shopping. Kualoa Ranch is just a few minutes south -- filming location for Jurassic Park, Lost, etc. and great place to tour or buy organic grass fed beef. The drive to any part of the south shore is beautiful as well and there is much there from Waikiki to Hanauma Bay. You will not find a better value on a house in Oahu!
- Guest Betty K.
- Date of stay 12/17/13
- Review Submitted 01/03/14
Vacation of a lifetime
Vacation of a lifetime
We had a fantastic time at the Windward Retreat. The location is indescribably beautiful. The mountains are stunning and the ocean is just steps away. We loved staying on the windward side. The beaches are fantastic and we enjoyed normally having at least a football field between our group and other people on the beach during the weekdays. We went into Honolulu and Waikiki. We all agreed, that we could not wait until we got back to the windward side! The property managers Brett and Stacy could not have been nicer or more helpful. Brett took eight of us out for a day of sailing on his boat. We anchored on a huge sandbar in Kaneohe Bay where we had lunch, played frisbee, and the adults had their fair share of beer. On the weekends, this is a real party spot! On the sandbar we saw a number of sea turtles and one ray just a few feet away in 2 feet of water. Brett provided all the local knowledge on the best beaches, restaurants and activities. One the the activities which we all enjoyed was hiking in the mountains. The trailhead is few hundred yards from the front door of the retreat. The retreat was we'll equipped, all we needed was our shorts, slippers bathing suits and tee shirts. We spent most our time out at the retreat on the huge lanai. We also had a couple of bond fires roasting marshmallows in the fire pit. We could not have asked for better accommodations. I believe our group was only the third to stay there since it was built, so everything is brand new. We have already started dreaming about returning to Hawaii and we would defiantly stay at the Windward Retreat again. Thank you Brett and Stacy for making our our vacation so special. Tracy Travis
- Guest Tracy (New Jersey)
- Date of stay 08/04/13
- Review Submitted 11/05/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, families with young children, romantic getaway, people with disabilities, age 55+, sightseeing, families with teenagers.
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|My Standard Rate
5 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Half the total amount is due within one week of contract sent. Total balance is due 90 days prior to arrival. Damage deposit($250.00) mailed back within 2 weeks with no damage.
- Cleaning Fee: $150
- Taxes Included
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Honolulu International Airport (HNL) at 22 Miles
- Nearest Beach: Beautiful Swanzy Beach Park is just 350 feet away at 115 Metres
About: HI, I'm Brett, the on-site manager of the Windward Retreat. Thirty years ago, I moved to Hawaii, from Chicago, with my amazing wife Stacy and have never looked back. We love it here in the islands, outside of the obvious natural beauty, it is the warmth of the people that makes Hawaii so special. I work at the retreat as a volunteer, a job I love. When I'm not cutting, trimming, and hammering, my day-job is a magazine publisher. I along with a great team, produce a monthly magazine for the attorneys in Hawaii. My passions are spending time with Stacy, sailing on Kaneohe bay, and restoring old British sports cars.
Our organization is a non-profit organization called the Windward Retreat Center. Our dream was to create a place of retreat and learning for our members, their families, and friends from around the world. When the center is not booked with our events, we open it up to friends looking for a peaceful stay in our unique spot of paradise. To learn more about WRC please visit our website.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The Retreat is one of only a few legal accommodations you will find. There are thousands of rentals available, unfortunately there are less than a hundred that have a permit. It's a hot button issue on Oahu, so you will not get any dirty looks from the neighbors, people photographing your rental car, or having building inspectors knocking at the door. Our neighbors are very friendly and participated in our permitting process. We are here for you! Although you may see very little of me after check-in, I will be there for you in case you need anything or for some local advice on the best places to visit.
- Primary: 808.551.1929
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
From above windward retreat
Our boat, lets sail!
lawn at Swanzy beach
At top of cliffs above house
looking from retreat property
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Wednesday, February 26, 2014
4 Bedroom / 2 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.