VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
This lovely adobe condo is nestled in the Sangre de Christo mountains overlooking the quiet Valdez Valley. It is a southwestern style condo with three stories and a spacious (1,400’), so everyone can spread out and relax. The beautiful, traditional southwest construction has tongue and groove barewood ceilings supported by majestic beams. The thick adobe and plaster walls help keep things warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Our condo is perfect for families (or groups) and is one of the main reasons we purchased it. Each bedroom is on it’s own floor and can comfortably accommodate parents and children. With a private balcony, fireplace and full bath, each bedroom is a self-contained oasis.
In the winter, 3 fireplaces (wood included) and baseboard heating keep things comfortable and cozy. In the summer mountain breezes and the open private decks keep things cool and pleasant. The spectacular sunsets and outstanding mountain vistas can be viewed from the large patio (1st floor) or either of the two separate balconies on the 2nd and 3rd floors. In the winter, snuggle in the cozy living room by a roaring fire or, for more privacy, snuggle next to your own fireplace in each of the bedrooms. In the summer, hiking is right outside your door, picking fruit off the trees or another option, or just relax on the balconies and enjoy the best northern New Mexico has to offer.
The first floor is the common area has new floor with a sleeper sofa, loveseat, and other chairs providing ample seating. This homey area centers on the southwestern fireplace. There is also a TV (DirecTV) tucked away next to the fireplace. The kitchen comes fully furnished and should meet all of your needs. It is equipped with new stainless pots & pans, microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker, coffee grinder, blender, garbage disposal, all dinnerware & flatware, and basic spices. The first floor also has a full bathroom. Probably the best part of the first floor is the great covered patio that looks west onto the Valdez Valley and the Taos Mesa. Furnished with a table and chairs, it’s perfect for experiencing the northern New Mexico climate.
On the second floor there is a spacious bedroom with new carpet. For maximum flexibility, there is a full bed and a full Murphy bed. To help you relax, there is a loveseat and a cozy fireplace. The private balcony is accessed via new sliding doors. There is a private, full bathroom for your convenience. There is plenty of storage for you in the closet and dressers.
The third floor has a large carpeted bedroom with a king bed. The day/trundle bed (2 twins) can also serve as a couch and there is also a bench for seating. New sliding doors lead to the private balcony for those warm evening and the fireplace will keep things toasty on those cool evenings. There is plenty of storage in dressers and closet, and you will have a full bathroom all to yourself.
The condo is perfectly located halfway between the world-class Taos Ski Valley and the historic Taos Plaza and it only takes 15 minutes to get to either. We encourage you to visit the artsy village of Arroyo Seco. It’s only 3 minutes away and has a unique New Mexican feel. The condo sets off the main road at the end of a private drive, so things are very quiet and peaceful. You will find our condo a welcome retreat after a hard day of skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking, climbing, fishing, shopping, gallery hopping, or enjoying any of the numerous activities that this remarkable area has to offer.
Here are a few other details: - Please Note: This is a spacious, multi-story southwestern style condo built in the mountains. As such, you cannot access it without going up stairs and there are multiple stairs inside to access the upper floors. This condo is NOT appropriate for those with mobility problems. - There is free wifi with a decent connection (12 Mbps) and the signal is strong throughout the condo. - All firewood is free and replenished every day or two. - There is a ski rack available inside the front landing. - There are a few growlers in the kitchen for those who like to sample the local brews.
We really hope you enjoy your stay in our Southwest mountain retreat.
* Approximate Monthly rates, actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay
Additional information about rental rates
Dogs are considered for an additional fee. Due to allergies, cats are not allowed.
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
Book with confidence
Paying through this free service protects your payment up to $10,000 against listing fraud. If you are not paying through HomeAway Payments always call the owner at the number listed on our website and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.
Taos, New Mexico has a very long history. Members of the Taos Pueblo have lived in the area for thousands of years living as farmers and hunters. Non-Natives first saw the Taos Valley on August 29, 1540 when Captain Hernando Alvarado, as part of the expedition of Francisco Vasquez de Coronado, explored it. In 1615, a small Spanish village was established. More recently, in the early 1900s, the Taos Art Colony was founded and influenced numerous artists including, Mabel Dodge Luhan, D. H. Lawrence, Georgia O’Keeffe, Ansel Adams, and many others. Today, Taos continues to support a thriving art community with over 80 galleries and three museums. Many of these can be found on or near the historic Taos Plaza (just 15 minutes away). You can also explore the culture and lifestyle of the Taos Pueblo (10 minutes away). It's been designated as World Heritage Site by UNESCO and a National Historic Landmark. More recently as part of their economic development, the Taos Pueblo constructed a full service casino (10 minutes).
The wealth of art, history, and culture in the area are only rivaled by the opportunities for outdoor activities. Here are a few suggestions:
- Taos Ski Valley (15 minutes): One of the best ski areas in the country, known for steeps and hikeable terrain (diamond & double diamond). However, it also has great beginner (green) and intermediate slopes (blue). There is also a terrain park for those interested in showing off their skills or just practicing. Taos Ski Valley has one of the best ski schools in the country, so no matter what your level of skiing is you can find great terrain or get an awesome lesson. If you have the time, join them for a “Ski Better” week. A week of coordinated, building lessons that are sure to take you to the next level (or two). Even if you don’t ski, bring the kids up in the evening for sledding.
- [Rio Grande Gorge (20 minutes)]:
* One of the highest bridges in the US (800’). Walking out on the bridge to one of the observation platforms is an experience not to be missed. You will also recognize the bridge from the Terminator and Transformer movies.
* Rock Climbing- There are several trad and sport climbs in the Rio Grande Gorge. There are also top-rope routes.
- [Rio Grande River (20 minutes)]:
* Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking- As the snow melts in the spring and early summer, this part of the Rio Grande becomes some of the best whitewater in the West. Book with one of the many local rafting companies or go solo in your own kayak. Though the water is highest spring and summer, trips are available year-round.
* Fly Fishing- There is world-class fly fishing in this part of the Rio Grande where water is clear and cold.
- [Hiking (5 minutes)]: There are numerous hiking opportunities right out the condo door. There are also several marked trails very close by. For those looking for a challenge, the highest peak in New Mexico, Wheeler Peak (13,167) trailhead is just 15 minutes away. For those wanting more leisurely walks, there are numerous trails along the Rio Grande and Taos Mesa.
- [Mountain Biking (15 minutes)]: During the summer, the Taos Ski Valley becomes a mountain biker’s paradise with dozens of trails of varying difficulty.
- [Other Activities]: Golf at the Taos Country Club (25 minutes); Horseback riding; Ski mobile; Hunting; Hot Air Balloon rides
- For those wanting to just relax, there are several wineries and breweries in the area. Feel free to use the growlers (in kitchen) at Taos Mesa Brewery, Eske’s Brew Pub, the Taos Ale House, or Blue Heron Brewery (in Embudo). If wine is more your thing, then check out Black Mesa Winery or Vivac Winery on the way up.
Year Purchased: 2013
About the owner: We are two couples who have been friends for years and live in New Mexico. We love northern New Mexico, especially Taos. We've often talked about a place there, but it never seemed to happen for various reasons. After finding this property, we realized that it was big enough for everyone and we could co-own it and finally realize a shared dream.
Why the Owner Chose Taos: LOCATION- We love to ski, but didn't want a place in the Ski Valley (too dark in winter & too far from town). We also didn't want to be on the Mesa where it's hot and dusty during the summer. This is our perfect place. Close to skiing and town, and in the mountains but not in a deep valley.
FAMILIES- This condo can easily accommodate both of our families, so we can enjoy each other's company and all northern New Mexico has to offer.