Alden Thayer Lake Cottage ('Oak')
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Alden cottage description
This cute and clean '1940s' era cottage is much the way you would have found it mid-century: no TV, no phone, lots of clean air and water, nesting loons, and the good company you've traveled with. It has one bedroom with two single beds, and a curtained alcove room with a double bed. The kitchen was updated in 2006 and the bath in 2013. New is the screened-in front porch and windows. This Thayer Lake beachfront cottage shares 150 foot of prime frontage with its sister cottage, 'Pine' (VRBO listing 467656). The cottage sits 400 feet back off the road. Thayer Lake is a no-wake lake perfect for swimming, canoeing, kayaking, fishing and relaxed enjoyment of nature. There are both sunny and shady areas along the waterfront and a lakeside fire pit for making S'mores. The lake access is shallow and gradual, good for children and wading. Within one mile of the cottage are two public accesses to Torch Lake, one of Michigan's largest and certainly most beautiful sandy-bottomed lakes.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Non Smoking Only:
- Pets Not Allowed:
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
- Double Beds (1), Twin or Single Beds (2)
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Cooking Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Cottage includes picnic table, Weber charcoal grill and tools, outdoor furniture, new screened-in front porch, dock, swim raft, rowboat, canoe, and kayaks. Also included are gas stove, drip coffee maker, room fan, cooking utensils, microwave & kitchenware for up to six. Sleeping arrangement includes 1 Bedroom with full-size bed and an alcove with twin-size trundle bed (two singles). Cottage comes with blankets & pillows, renter supplies own sheets & towels. The cottage has an open kitchen, eating, and living area....moreless
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Mountain Biking
- Hunting Small Game
- Massage Therapist
- Freshwater Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Water Skiing
- Eco Tourism
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Scenic Drives
- Paddle Boating
- Up north near-by activities include nature trails, Torch Lake access less than one mile, fun shopping in town of Alden, Short's Brewery and Shanty Creek Golf in Bellaire. Thayer Lake is a 25-minute drive to Turtle Creek Casino. Traverse City, Charlevoix, Petoskey, and Elk Rapids are within 1 hour drive....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Withe the exception of the bathroom, everything was great. The water heater in the bathroom really uses up a lot of the availanle space and the shower really needs to updated. However, even with these problems we would rent again.
- Guest Willy (Wilmington NC)
- Date of stay 08/11/12
- Review Submitted 01/02/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, sightseeing, pet owners, age 55+.
Owner response: Thank you so much for the feedback! These cabins were designed and built for 1940s-era sensibilities, so each year in attempts to bring them somewhat into modernity, we try to make renovation decisions based on responses from our renters. We have received many similar responses regarding the bathroom in our Oak cottage. We plan on renovating that bathroom this spring (2013) to move the water heater to the utility shed and to replace the old steel shower enclosure with a new one. It should feel much larger once we make these changes. :) Thank you again for your time and review.
Up North at Thayer Lake
Up North at Thayer Lake
This was our first visit to the Torch Lake area and our stay at the Thayer Lake Cottages could not have been more pleasant. It was every bit as lovely and more so than the listing photos portray. The cottage was clean and comfortable and appropriately appointed. Most of our meals we ate while sitting in the screened porch. We grilled many of our meals and enjoyed our evenings next to the lake around the campfire. We arrived anticipating spending the majority of our time boating on Torch Lake. There was a very nice public access ramp 1-1/2 mile from the cottage on Clam Lake that goes into Torch Lake. But, after seeing another visitor catch a fish on his first cast, my husband was very keen to go fishing. He would tell you that the excellent fishing on Thayer Lake was the biggest surprise and one of the highlights of his week. Butch's Bait & Tackle at Clam River is about a mile from the cottage where fishing gear and licenses are available. The Dockside, also at Clam River was a great place to enjoy lunch sitting on the deck looking out across Torch Lake. We had an excellent Sunday brunch at the Alden Bar & Grille with made to order omelets and shrimp & mussel pasta alfredo, mmm. We enjoyed using the provided kayaks, canoe and floatation devices on Thayer Lake. The fishing was easily done from both kayak and canoe. We completely enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone. It is not a 4-star hotel, however, it's rustic charm is exactly what we were looking for and found...
- Guest Victoria (East Liberty, Ohio)
- Date of stay 09/08/12
- Review Submitted 09/17/12
Recommended for: Girls getaway, adventure seekers, sightseeing, romantic getaway, families with young children, age 55+.
For 2013 peak season, rentals are for full weeks only. $550/week Peak Season (May 25th to September 6th) $440/week Off-Season Rate (September 7th to early October) $25/week Discount for multiple full week rentals 50% deposit required to hold cottage for your week. We will mail or email you a cottage agreement which confirms your vacation dates. Remainder of payment is due at completion of your stay.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Cherry Capitol Airport, Traverse City, Michigan at 28 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: M88 at Alden
- Nearest Barpub: The Dockside at 1 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Shanty Creek at 10 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: The Dockside at 1 Miles
- Primary: 231-350-8293 Anytime from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Thayer Lake cottage waterfront scene
Inside of the Oak Cottage looking out at Thayer Lake
Canoe, rowboat, and kayaks are available and a great way to enjoy Thayer Lake
Sunny autumn colors
A relaxing spot with Pine Cottage in the distance.
Oak's neighbor and sister cottage, 'Pine'.
Oak Cottage's waterfront face
View of the kitchen/eating area in the Thayer Lake Oak cottage
A peek of paradise
Mallards on Thayer
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2005.
Date last modified - Thursday, May 23, 2013
1 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.