Ocean View Waterfront Vacation Home, Newport County, Ri
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Portsmouth house description
Eight-room ocean-view waterfront vacation home;
-Sweeping water views from almost every room.
-Open floor plan embraces living room, dining room, kitchen, and an adjoining library, all architecturally linked by hardwood floors, cathedral ceilings, with bluestone fireplaces. Astounding sky and ocean views through large bay windows and several sliders.
-Home is fully furnished and newly redecorated with comfortable, contemporary furniture, oriental carpets, and original works of southwestern art.
Living room accommodates 8-10; dining table seats up to 10;
-Eight-foot sliders lead from dining area to large deck overlooking the water and a tree-shaded back lawn, a garden, stone patios, and hammock surrounded by a wooden privacy fence six feet tall. Extra chairs provide out-door seating on lawn, terrace, or deck for up to 15 guests.
-Large, fully equipped, 12x14 kitchen with water views & partly open to LR and DR; includes 48 sq. ft of counter space and 50 built in cabinet shelves, drawers, and storage trays. All dishes, linens, glassware, pots & pans incl. Appliances include a Kenmore Elite 4-burner gas cooking range with self-cleaning oven new in 2010 w/ vented range hood, 5-cycle Bosh silent dishwasher new in 2010, a Magic Chef 16 cu ft refrigerator/ freezer, food processor, microwave, etc.
Sleeps 8-10 in four bedrooms including a newly built 3-season Cabana.
-Bedroom #1 is the master suite/family room, located on the ground level; room includes king-size platform bed, bluestone fireplace, and an eight-foot glass slider to outside private stone patio with water views of the Sakonnet Passage. Room is furnished with a love seat and easy chair, dining table, and cable TV. The room has it's own bathroom with a spacious stone and ceramic tiled shower.
-Bedroom #2 is on the second floor; the room is decorated with Mexican colonial decor including a king-size bed, dresser, desk and comfortable rocking chair. There is a connecting door to the bathroom and an eight-foot sliding glass door to the deck, with views of the garden, the Sakonnet passage, and Blue Bill Cove.
-Bedroom #3 is also on the second floor. It is furnished with two single beds and a desk and three windows that provide nice cross ventilation. Guests here share the bathroom with bedroom two.
-Bedroom #4 is the 'Cabana,' a newly built 13' x17' air-conditioned furnished with two double bed size futon sofas. This apartment-like recreation room, was added under the back deck, detached from the main house. It is fully finished with tile floors, a 1/2 bath, storage closet, love seat, cofeet table, HDTV, and great water views. Room comfortably sleeps 2 adults or up to 4 kids.
-Two extra inflatable twin beds as also available in the main house.
- Linens and towels are provided for all beds including the two futons and two inflatable twin beds.
-The two full bathrooms inside the main house are spacious; these is a 1/2 bath in the Cabana, and an outdoor shower attached to the Cabana.
WATER AMENITIES: This is a waterfront property with private beach access and sweeping water views of entire Sakonnet River Passage. This body of water is more than a mile wide and extend more than 12 miles from our home to the Atlantic Ocean, visible from our home on the southern horizon.
- SAFETY: The home is 16 feet above sea level and is provided with seawall protection.
- SUNBATHING: Steps lead through the main seawall to a lower grassy terrace three feet above sea level, that provides wind-protected sunbathing and a handy small boat storage and rigging area.
- SWIMMING: Beyond the grassy sunbathing terrace is a path leading to the beach. The beach is sand-based and covered with fist-size smooth stones and seashells. Beach socks or sandals recommended for your comfort. We have about 20 pairs of beach socks available in various sizes for guest use. Wave heights are usually 1-3 feet with no rip tides. From the water's edge, the bottom is gently sloping into gradually deeper water allowing for easy and safe entry for swimming, boating or fishing. Several beach chairs, two beech umbrellas, and recliners are provided. Hot water outdoor shower is provided; Cabana available as a changing room for guests.
- PURE SANDY BEACHES: When we have small children visiting, we sometimes walk them about 800 feet to the west of our home, where the river stones give way to a smooth sandy beach with long stretches of shallow water that can be perfect for small children. We have a supply of beach toys for children to use at the house. ALSO, on windy days, Sandy Point Beach in Portsmouth is also very pleasant. it is a short 10 minutes drive from our house. It is located on the east shore of Aquidneck island and thus offers protection from the wind and waves when the southerly breezes pick up speed.
- OCEAN SWIMMING: When we are in the mood for miles of white sandy beach, and open ocean waves, we load with car with picnick supplies, coolers, beach chairs, & umbrellas, and make the 20 minute drive to Horseneck Beach in Westport, MA; or to Second Beach or Third Beach in Newport, RI. We also like driving to Narrraganset beach in South County, RI, about 45 minutes away. We have special RI maps in the house showing the locations of more than 100 swimming beaches, open to the public, in RI.
- OTHER ATTRACTIONS:
- Within easy walking distance are five restaurants and two bars that run the gamut from Pete and Flo's (famous for fried clams since 1939) to the semi-formal 'Fifteen Point Road' for dining excellence, and 'Scampi' at 657 Park Ave for casual seafood dining. We love breakfast or burgers for lunch at 501 Park Ave.
- Newport, RI is eight miles south! Check the web for an extensive daily schedule of Newport events, festivals, regattas, museums, plays, beaches, etc.
- Bristol, RI offers nice restaurants & harbor front strolling for ice cream
Keywords: Ocean View Waterfront Vacation Home
- 2150 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10, Beds for 8-10
- King size beds (2), Twin or Single Beds (2), Sleep Sofa or Futons (4) Two full-size futons in attached, finished, air-conditioned, 13x17 ft Cabana which can be used as recreation room or a 4th bedroom. Room sleeps 3 or 4 kids or two adults on two double futons. ( Two extra inflatable twin beds are also available.)...moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Parking Off Street:
- Linens Provided
- Air Conditioning
- Washing Machine
- The home is a renovated two-story, split entry, extended raised ranch with a double driveway, double garage, fenced back yard, garden & stone patios, and easy access to the water. Two bluestone fireplaces, hardwood floors, cathedral ceilings, large bay windows. Cooking utensils, appliances, dishes, glassware, and linens provided; also washer and dryer, A/C...moreless
Satellite / Cable:
(3) 40' 1080p HDTV in MBR; smaller TVs in BR#2 and in the Cabana. High-speed Internet access is provided at no cost via Cox Communication using a cable modem, WiFi, and standard Eathernet router. There is desk space and eathernet cables to network up to three laptops in the library....moreless
- Music Library:
- DVD Player
- CD Player
High-speed Internet access provided free of charge via Cox Communication using a wireless cable modem or a 4-port eathernet router and cables. There is enough desk space in library to network up to three laptops. (Computers not provided.)...moreless
- Outdoor Grill
Location & View
Sweeping water views, easy water entry for safe swimming. Beach is sandy and covered with smooth stones the size of ones hand, and sea shells. Beach socks are provided with several sizes to choose from. Swimming is great: waves are gentle most of the time; water temps. in high 70's. Outdoor after-swim shower....moreless
- Ocean View:
- Water Skiing
- Sight Seeing
- Live Theater
- Horseback Riding
- Wildlife Viewing
- We enjoy vacation time with our family and friends; morning or afternoons dips in salt water from our own beach; rinsing off in the outdoor shower, air-drying in the hammock; early mornings on the deck with fresh coffee and breakfast. Fresh seafood and on the grill; live theater productions of excellent quality at the 2d Story Theater in Warren, RI; burgers at 501 Park Ave; dinners at nearby 15 point Road, and lots of other excellent restaurants nearby; museum, historic mansions and great entertainment in Newport and Bristol RI; sailing and fishing in Narragansett Bay; nearby ocean swimming and miles of white sandy beaches at Horse neck Beach in Massachusetts, and in Narragansett RI. Green Animal Farms in Portsmouth, RI; Colt State Park in Bristol, RI; RISD museum and Water Fire illuminations on summer evening in Providence, RI; the Whaling Museum in New Bedford, MA; and the many attractions in Boston, Cape cod, and the Islands....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property truely has a Five-Star water view of the Sakonnet River and Atlantic Ocean. The home is very well appointed for a family or for entertaining. The description, location and amenities listed are accurate. There are not many locations like this to enjoy beautiful Rhode Island. The owner/manager is responsive and helpful to client's questions and needs. Overall, highly recommended.
- Guest Spence (saint petersburg, fl)
- Date of stay 06/01/07
- Review Submitted 01/09/08
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, age 55+, romantic getaway, families with young children.
Excellent House for a Family Gathering!
Excellent House for a Family Gathering!
My family just stayed here for a weekend family gathering and had an awesome visit. The house was great, plenty of room and the added extras that came with the house were above and beyond our expectations! Each morning I got up and walked along the pebble covered beach, what unbelievable sunrises! We took family pictures on the property and they all turned out beautiful. I cannot wait to go back, thank you for sharing your house and property with our family, we could not have asked for a better long weekend.
- Guest Anonymous
- Date of stay 10/25/13
- Review Submitted 11/04/13
OCS Graduation Weekend
OCS Graduation Weekend
Family and friends gathered to watch our son graduate from Officers Candidate School and we were thrilled when we saw this beautiful waterfront home!!! The property sits at the top of a majestic bay with incredible, commanding vistas. Everything about the home was perfect...3 large bedrooms that were fully furnished and a fun cabana that comfortably housed our 8 guests. The kitchen was well stocked with PLENTY of dining and serving ware. We loved sitting on the deck, overlooking the waters edge ... several of the family even enjoyed a brisk swim in the bay!!! It was a perfect location also...away from the bustle of Newport, yet just a short drive to many wonderful restaurants and fun activities. We have stayed in many VRBO rentals around the country and this was, by far, one of the most well-maintained, well-furnished and comfortable homes. I would highly recommend it to anyone seeking a quiet, relaxing get-a-way. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR SHARING YOUR BEAUTIFUL HOME!!!
- Guest Deb (Oklahoma)
- Date of stay 10/02/13
- Review Submitted 10/10/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, families with teenagers, sightseeing, romantic getaway, girls getaway, tourists without a car.
We really enjoyed our 3 night stay at this property! It was an amazing house with a beautiful view. We loved being right on the water and the water shoes at the house were an added benefit for swimming. The check in an check out process was really easy. Hope to return next year.
- Guest Mchammer (San francisco)
- Date of stay 09/19/13
- Review Submitted 10/06/13
Recommended for: Adventure seekers, sightseeing, families with young children.
East Coast Trip
East Coast Trip
This property was everything it was described to be. The owner was on the property when we arrived putting on some finishing touches. He was very helpful as was his rental agent. It was a good location. We would happily recommend this property.
- Guest mbt (San Antonio, TX)
- Date of stay 06/09/13
- Review Submitted 06/16/13
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, sightseeing, age 55+, romantic getaway, families with young children, girls getaway, tourists without a car.
Owner response: Thanks Judy, for taking the time to write this review. You were the first guest this summer to enjoy the newly re-finished hardwoods and fresh paint in the LR/DR/Library and hallway areas! After your stay, we went on to complete three more big projects in this June (investing nearly $10,000 in our program of continuing capital repairs and improvements). So come back again this fall for another long weekend, yes? How about this idea: Family Thanksgiving with an Ocean View, yes? We have a nice big kitchen! ;-) Mac
My "Lottery House"
My "Lottery House"
If I could win the lottery, this would be the house for me. Spotless, comfortable, beautifully maintained inside and out--but the location and the view make this an exceptional choice.What a wonderful place for a vacation. I only hope I can go back!!!
- Guest Gail N.
- Date of stay 06/30/12
- Review Submitted 07/17/12
Excellent Low Key Vacation Spot
Excellent Low Key Vacation Spot
This was our first family vacation in RI and the home was perfect for us. It was tucked away in the quaint little neighborhood of Island Park, ten miles north of Newport. The view of the bay is beautiful and the water was clean and cool. The water was like glass in the morning, viewed from the back deck, and the sailboats were in full force in the afternoon. The house was well maintained and the property manager was very responsive. The house comfortably sleeps six in beds, and there are large air mattresses for another two people. We wanted a quiet place with great views and the necessaries within a short drive. There is a very good restaurant within a hundred yards (Grazianos) and a liquor store a block away. The supermarket (Clements) was a two mile drive with excellent produce and fresh seafood. The beach outside the house was rocky, but the house provides over a dozen pair of surf shoes. Two hundreds yards down the beach, there is enough sand to go into the water without surf shoes. We also found a sandy beach, "Sandy Point Beach", six miles from the house which is beautiful. It is built into a natural cove and sheltered from the prevailing winds. It is a gorgeous setting excellent for small children and seniors, and it has three lifeguards during the season. Nightlife is in Newport. We would go downtown every other day for dinner and to shop. The drive takes about 20 minutes each way. Excellent bars and restaurants. Go to the Black Pearl at Bannisters Wharf; get a milkshake at the Newport Creamery across from the Tennis Hall of Fame. The best clam shack that we found was Quitos in Bristol, RI, north of Island Park about fifteen minutes. It is a beautiful setting, but go during the week because of the crowds. Overall, it was one of our best beach experiences in years. We are talking about making it an annual event.
- Guest AKHobie (Vienna, VA)
- Date of stay 07/12/09
- Review Submitted 08/03/09
Recommended for: Sightseeing, age 55+, romantic getaway, pet owners, families with young children, girls getaway.
Home Away from Home
Home Away from Home
My family and I stayed here for my son's wedding last summer. The property was more than adequate for our needs,which included hosting a prewedding brunch for the groomsmen. The ocean view is spectacular and panoramic. The kitchen was modern with all appliances in good working order and well stocked with cutlery,dishes,etc. It was a real convenience to have the caretaker's located nest door.They were attentive to our needs. We found the location convenient to Bristol and Newport.The property was clean, and well maintained.
- Guest Wedding Week (Pownal,Me)
- Date of stay 08/01/07
- Review Submitted 01/10/08
June, 2013 - $400 per night, 3 night minimum includes all taxes and fees. Jul, Aug 2013 - $2890/week includes all taxes and fees. Sep 2012 to May 2013 - $2470/month plus utilities. 50% rental deposit and $1500 damage deposit check due when reservations are made. Balance of rent is due upon occupancy. Damage deposit is refundable by mail 7 days after checkout. Rent deposits may be refunded if cancellation is received at least 45 days in advance or later if home can be re-rented; a $50 fee applies. Reservations are confirmed only after reciept of application and deposit.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Year Purchased: 1985
About the owner: Retired Army Colonel with 26 years of active duty, and 18 years self-employed in private practice as a leadership development consultant for clients in business, government, and academia. My wife, Enedina is a retired college professor and an actress. We raised two sons, and love spending vacation time here with them and their families. I was raised in New England and have life-long interests in sailing and photography. Enedina was raised in El Paso where we met in college and were married after graduation in Dec 1961. We are celebrating our golden anniversary this year!
Why the Owner Chose Portsmouth:
We chose this waterfront house for its stunning views and ideal location, as we managed the transition of our profesional lives from military retirement to professional self-employment in cilivian life. I used the library as my office for 18 years; and felt rewarded and refreshed every day by ever-changing natural envrionment that surrounds this home.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The natural beauty that surrounds this home nourishes, renews, and restores the human spirit. We enjoy vacation time with our family and friends; morning or afternoons dips in salt water from our own beach; rinsing off in the outdoor shower, air-drying in the hammock; early mornings on the deck with fresh coffee and breakfast. Fresh seafood and on the grill; live theater productions of excellent quality at the 2d Story Theater in Warren, RI; burgers at 501 Park Ave; dinners at nearby 15 point Road, and lots of other excellent restaurants nearby; museum, historic mansions and great entertainment in Newport and Bristol RI; sailing and fishing in Narragansett Bay; nearby ocean swimming and miles of white sandy beaches at Horse neck Beach in Massachusetts, and in Narragansett RI. Green Animal Farms in Portsmouth, RI; Colt State Park in Bristol, RI; RISD museum and Water Fire illuminations on summer evening in Providence, RI; the Whaling Museum in New Bedford, MA; and the many attractions in Boston, Cape cod, and the Islands.
- Primary: +1 915-585-8306
- Secondary: +1 919-449-7724
- Tertiary: 915-449-7724
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Entrance porch, home exterior, & 2d floor bay windows overlooking the water.
Dining Room showing view from kitchen area. Slider to Deck is to the left
Warm fire on foggy morning; parts of living & dining areas viewed from library
Bedroom #2 on second floor w King bed slider to deck, garden and water views
Master Suite, ground floor with King bed, water views, slider to patio and beach
Cabana addition, also showing patio with chairs and sliders to MBR on the right.
New Swimmer enjoys exploring the water's edge. Vacation home in background.
Living room, 2d floor; all windows overlook the broad Sakonnet River Passage.
Kitchen and bar, viewed from Dining area
Portion of the deck, adjoining the dining room and kitchen area.
Bedroom #3, Second Floor; two twin beds, desk, and good cross ventilation
Cabana w/ loveseat, two futon sofa-beds, french doors, w/shades & water views.
House viewed from the grasssy sun bathing terrace near beach.
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2006.
Date last modified - Sunday, July 28, 2013