Fabulous Farmhouse with Private Pool in Dordogne, France
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Beynac-et-Cazenac farmhouse description
Our fabulous French home set high on the side of the Dordogne valley offers six acres of complete privacy, yet is only five minutes drive from St Cyprien village. Gourmet restaurants, golf, gardens, caves, châteaux, canoeing and riding facilities are also close by.
Our elegant salon has French windows leading onto a spacious south facing terrace with stunning views across to Châteaux Milande. You can dine outside under the pergola, swim under the stars in the tiled and floodlit pool, play table tennis in the courtyard or just sunbathe and relax in the garden or on the pool patio. There is a well equipped open plan kitchen-dining room , two large double bedrooms and two twin bedrooms (two en suite and another shower/WC) all of which have lovely garden or valley views. The atmospheric mediaeval towns of Sarlat, Domme, Beynac and La Roque Gageac are in easy reach of our superb summer home. A beautiful venue for a special and private holiday.
A special place : This is our second home and we just love the place. We only let it out for a limited time each year (six - eight weeks maximum) because we are concerned to keep it in good condition. For us this is not a money-making enterprise, but a home we want our children and grandchildren to enjoy when we are ‘pushing up the cowslips in the meadow’!
We bought the house twelve years ago and have come every year to enjoy the peace, the food and the relaxed way of life in the countryside. The mist rising up from the valley in the mornings, the views, and the easy access to castles and caves, villages to potter around and the river itself , as well as towns all add to our pleasure in the place.
We had a couple of the villa agencies visit us to assess the place and in their opinion our home came in the A grade in all categories. We have undercut their recommended figures, so both from a financial and a personal perspective, we believe it is a beautiful place for a memorable holiday.
Relaxing outside by the pool or in the garden: We have approximately 13 hectares so there is plenty of space to relax, a large walled courtyard, where we play table tennis, a turning/parking area for cars, and a walnut orchard and terraced areas of lawn as well as a pool patio. The garage houses the table tennis table, bats and balls. les boules, Lego and badminton racquets.
Our home also has a substantial terrace which offers space for shady outdoor dining and sunbathing unless you would rather lie by the pool. This is Roman ended (7 x 14 metres, 2 metres deep), beautifully tiled and can be lit at night, as can the terrace. There are even lights under the trees.
A sunny home: Our home is full of light, with high ceilings and beams throughout and windows both sides. The sitting room, which has a decidedly artistic feel, has quality rattan and cherry wood furniture from Heals and floaty voile drapes and two French windows which take you onto the terrace.
We like to cook so the kitchen is well equipped, with plenty of decent white china and glassware, a gas hob and electric oven, microwave, large upright fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. The water is filtered. Light pours into this room too which looks out onto the terrace and across the valley.
- Vacation Rental
- Non Smoking Only
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
- Children Welcome
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- All the bedrooms have views, wooden floors and fans for those warm summer nights when you need a breeze. Our bedroom, 1 has a double bed, two chests of drawers and bedside cabinets all in beautiful Maine cherry wood and white. The room is the width of the house, and includes an en suite double basin bathroom, shower, bath, WC and bidet. Across the landing is bedroom 2, also the width of the house, with two single wooden French bateaux beds, several cupboards and a large curtained wardrobe. It also has an en suite shower, with basin and WC. Bedroom 3 downstairs, is next to the kitchen, with two single pine beds and a pine chest of drawers, as well as a large curtained wardrobe. Next to it is a shower room and WC. Bedroom 4 is reached via a wooden staircase from the kitchen landing. This is a large room which opens onto the courtyard. with a king-sized divan with drawers, pine bedside cabinets, and chest of drawers, a curtained wardrobe....moreless
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms
- Two bedrooms have en suite arrangements ( see above), the other pair share a shower , sink and WC. All shower and bath facilities are in good condition. The bedroom arrangements mean the house is ideal for two families, as one family can take the top two bedrooms, (both en suite) and the other the lower two, who share the shower and WC. All the beds have duvets and pillows,and if you want you can hire our matching sets of duvet covers, sheets and towels, then contact us. Please bring your own beach towels....moreless
- We offer coordinating linen ( duvet cover, pillow slips and bottom sheet) and towels ( one bath sheet, one medium size towel and a face flannel each) at an extra cost of £26 per person. We provide drying up towels, tablecloths ( for indoors and outdoor tables) and cloth napkins, as well as oven gloves, shower/bath mats and hand towels for the downstairs cloakroom. When visitors arrive we ensure there is a small supply of toilet paper and paper towel/ cleaning cloths, washing up liquid and cleaning sprays. There are also masses of additional household items like a house golf umbrella, a market basket , hair dryer, candles , flower vases, tupperware, blenders, food nets, an electric hand vacuum and electric fans in each bedroom. The kitchen is very well equipped with decent quality glasses for wines, water, champagne and beer as well as plenty of white china, ramekins, vegetable dishes, salad bowls and large serving platters....moreless
- Audio Tape Player
- Books - Fiction / Non-Fiction
- Games For Kids
- CD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Books For Kids
- Tourist Attractions
- Live Theatre
- Botanical Garden
- Winery Tours
- Bird Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Scenic Drives
- Horse Riding
local services and businesses
- Medical Services
sports and adventure activities
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Alarm Clock
- Basic Soaps
- Washing Machine
- Local Activities Guide
- Hair Dryer
- Activities Guide
- Clothes Dryer
- Local Maps
- Filtered Water
- Iron & Board
- Coffee Maker
- 4 Ring Stove
- Cooking Utensils
- Child's Swing
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Large Cooler
Pool / Spa
- Outdoor Pool
- Private Pool
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
May 3 - May 23, 2014
7 night min stay
May 24 - Jun 27, 2014
7 night min stay
Jun 28 - Jul 11, 2014
7 night min stay
Jul 12 - Aug 29, 2014
7 night min stay
Aug 30 - Oct 3, 2014
7 night min stay
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (£) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
Additional information about rental rates:
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Bergerac at 45 Kilometres
- Nearest Ferry: St Malo at 480 Kilometres
- Nearest Train: St Cyprien at 5 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: Brive at 31 Kilometres
- Nearest Beach: Bordeaux at 135 Kilometres
- Nearest Barpub: St Cyprien at 5 Kilometres
- Nearest Golf: Lolivarie at Siorac at 9 Kilometres
- Nearest Restaurant: St Cyprien at 5 Kilometres
Year Purchased: 1999
About the owner: We are a family of six who live in East Sussex. Mark is a retired University lecturer, and Teresa is still working as a University Professor. Two 'children' are grown up and two at University. Mark came from WIltshire, but went to boarding school in Sussex and Bedford, before working in Africa and later going into education. Teresa comes from Surrey where she went to school followed by Bristol University, post graduate study primary education, advisory work and then university teaching and research. We enjoy the 'good things of life, like food and wine but both of us need a good menu of culture to keep us engaged.
Why the Owner Chose Beynac-et-Cazenac:
The house is our family holiday home and is equipped as a home , not a faceless holiday let. It is an old house, above one window gable is carved '1732' , it has a real sense of light and space, because of the large windows so most resonate with sunlight and warmth in summer. The general decor and lighting is contemporary. We loved the house as soon as we saw it, outside on the sunny side is a large patio, half of which is shaded by a pergola covered with Wisteria and Campsis, this is ideal for eating all your meals under as you benefit from the warmth but are not 'fried' in the sun. Around you is the large garden of six acres(3 Hectares) providing privacy, with the substantial pool and its tiled surround only a matter of paces away from you on the patio. The house and garden are on the west side of a small valley which sits high above, and feeds into the Dordogne river valley, on the east side half a mile away as the crow flies, is Roc Fraisset a promontory of the main valley which it looks across, as well as to our house and the woods and field around us. From the patio we see Chateau Milande which is on the other side of the Dordogne river. To summarize: the house is gracious, comfortable, has all the 'mod-cons' we expect in a home, and is situated in perfect rural peace and quiet. Many guests remark upon this aspect. However this is also deceptive, because the region has plenty to do for all ages, if you take a trip to St Cyprien village, minutes away in the car, you can see from the maps and guides that your leisure activities are very,very numerous: Chateaux, caves, outdoor activities eg Kayaking, Air parks, Zoos, gardens and so on! We love the combination of heat, culture, activities and rural peace.
The Unique Benefits at this Farmhouse:
It is uniquely placed: utter peace and quiet, but with a good sized village, containing a super market, plus a local baker, grocer, butchers etc only 8/9 minutes away, and Sarlat a beautiful medieval town with restaurants, hotels, cinema,fashionable shops etc just 15 minutes away. The views from the patio and the sense of light and space in the house particularly, the sitting room and kitchen, were just what we wanted in a family holiday home. Just relax and enjoy the good life in lovely surroundings (the feed back we get from visitors confirms this over and over)!
- Primary: +44 (0)1435 884216
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Our sunny home
A corner of the sitting room
The sitting room looking out on to the terrace
Our bedroom (ensuite)
A downstairs bedroom
The edge of the courtyard
Stepping outside onto the terrace
On the terrace in spring
Our home in the spring
The early morning mist
A balloon rises in the early evening
The view out the front
Peace at the pool
The sitting room
Another upstairs bedroom (ensuite)
Another downstairs bedroom
Up at the pool
Long lunches on the terrace
On the terrace
The patio on the evening in summer
The view in the mist
A view down to the pool n the spring
Our nearest neighbours- out the back