VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
Cabin on 365 acres, PLUS contiguous additional 6000 BLM acres, walking distance to 3 rivers, 'Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument', & official Lewis & Clark historical site. And, 10 min from Fort Benton, official MT birthplace.
DIRECTIONS: Great access. Cabin is 50 Mins From Great Falls Int. Airport. Paved road + 1/2 mile excellent county dirt road.
LODGING: 2 queen sized beds, living room sofa, & cot. Additional cots/beds as requested.
FOOD: Oven, Microwave, Mini-fridge, Grill at cabin. Ma's Cafe only 1.5 mi's away - great food! World-class Grand Union restaurant in Fort Benton.
GAME: Cool Storage available upon request.
HEAT: Comfortable propane-driven fire place & hotwater heater.
POWER: OFF-GRID - reliable 3000 ampere gasoline generator (initial fill-up provided; nearest gas station: 1.5 mi fm cabin). Lights in every room. Comfortable.
COMMS: Verizon best for phone service & internet (w aircard). TracFone excellent.
Authentic Montana Experience: Most people think of Montana as snow-capped peaks and blue-ribbon trout streams. Yet most of Montana is a combination of smaller yet equally rugged mountains, prairie & badlands, & warmer rivers - with trophy fish & game.
This cabin, home to pheasant, hawks, eagles, several species of fish, mule and whitetail deer, & the occasional moose, elk, & grizzly which follow the Teton River down from the Bob Marshall, is the best symbol of this other, larger Montana. And the people in the area are down-to-earth, hard working, helpful and friendly. This is where Lewis & Clark camped, confused which river was the mighty Missouri - there are 3 rivers. The Teton River, made famous through the writings of A.B. Guthrie, a Pulitzer Prize winner, runs for a mile through the property. And two other rivers, including the mighty Missouri, are within 2 miles of the cabin.
What To Do - If You Don't Hunt: Recommendations:
1) Fish 3 rivers in one day without setting foot in a car. Pull out a Sturgeon in the Teton River, a Walleye in the Marias River, & a Paddlefish out of the Missouri.
2) Hike or mountain bike to the top of the property. Watch 3 rivers run, simultaneously. The mtns to the east are the Bears Paw, home to 3 Indian tribes.
3) Bring/rent a canoe, raft, or motor boat. If it is early-to-mid summer, put in at the Teton River 100 yards from the cabin, float to the Marias 1/2 mile away, keep going to the Missouri, another 1.5 miles away. (Be sure to wear a life vest.) Drop anchor in each river. If it is late summer, start at the Marias.
4) Take a drive to Virgile Ferry. Cross the Missouri as the local ranchers and farmers have done for a century.
5) Have a meal at Ft. Benton's elegant Grand Union, arguably finest in the Northwest.
6) Take the binoculars and bird watch: pheasant, turkeys, pelicans, osprey, eagles, hawks, owls, and others that nest in the cliffs.
Cabin rooms: 2 Bed Rooms, Living/Dining Room, 2 Bed Room-sized Utility Rooms. All Rooms can be used for sleeping. 2 Queen-sized beds, 1 Sleeping Sofa, & 1 Cot always in cabin. Additional cots/beds may be provided upon request....moreless
1) This is an off-grid Montana cabin in some of the most beautiful, rugged country on earth. Please be mindful of the power that you are consuming. The generator will require a gasoline refill (extra gas located beside generator) after about 15 hours. Suggested practice: run generator from early evening to mid-morning, then secure via remote ON/Off switch.
2) The cabin is heated via a propane fireplace. Propane also heats water.
3) Please respect the land and surrounding community of ranchers, farmers, & craftsmen. Hunt & fish according to Montana regulations and with an sense of ethics.
4) Verizon is the best carrier for phone & internet (for internet you will need a Verizon USB aircar). A TracFone is also excellent for phone service and can be purchased relatively cheaply in Great Falls. Adequate AT&T mobile phone service & library with DSL internet in Fort Benton, 10 min away...moreless
2015 Hunting Season Oct 15 - Nov 30, 2015 3 night min stay
My Standard Rate 3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Cleaning$85 + tax
Book with confidence
Paying through this free service protects your payment up to $10,000 against listing fraud. If you are not paying through HomeAway Payments always call the owner at the number listed on our website and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.
This owner hasn’t verified their location. If you would like more information, please contact the owner.
About the owner: Military veteran (former nuclear submarine officer commissioned out of U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD). Currently in energy sector with large E&P after obtaining my MBA at the London Business School in the UK. I own an operating cattle ranch near the Rocky Mountain Eastern Front and river-side property in Western Montana near Missoula. But the property at Fort Benton/Loma, MT is my favorite and is the perfect antidote, buttressed by 3 rivers and virgin countryside, for those who want a break from their demanding schedules. I hope you enjoy the property as much as I have and do.