"1. Master Suite: Comfy bedding and luxe outdoor bathroom with rain shower and soaking tub. There can be no better place in the world to enjoy the moon and stars!
2. Swimming Pool/Grounds: A full-size private pool is such a luxury on holiday. We never grew tired of ogling the magnificent grounds. Very hard to leave when we went out for activities. Bapak was a jewel and kept it all pristine.
3. Location: Steps away from eateries, shopping, and taxi stand, yet miles away from scooter fumes and crowds. Using the villa as base, one could stay right in Penestanan and fully experience the culture, nature, and palpable spirituality of Bali.
4. Restaurant Recommendations: Bruce offers a notebook of restaurant reviews/recommendations (and is quite the engaging writer by the way)....all within walking distance. Try 'em all!
5. Maya: Speaking of food, we fell in love with Maya and her delicious breakfasts. She is a major part of what makes Rumah Cahaya the wonder that it is. She exudes graciousness and ease, and keeps things sparkling and humming along, the heart and soul of Rumah Cahaya.
6. Juli: And speaking of heart and soul, Juli is the epitome of Balinese hospitality. He checked in with us regularly, though never intrusively, always warm and helpful. Great driver and guide who will make you forget he's a guide and feel more like a friend.
7. Sunrise: The gradual pinkening of the sky through open windows is a surreal alarm clock, awakening the cacophony that is so singularly 'Bali:' ducks, roosters, songbirds, frogs working up to an orchestral morning salutation. Daily soul food!
8. The House Itself: Take a full day to not leave the villa at all. Walk the grounds at different hours. Enjoy the light and shadows. Lose yourself in exquisite stone and wood carvings. Smell the flowers. Listen to the water cascading from the pool. Open all the windows and doors. Approach the temples and whisper a soft Thank You. Go up to the eagle's nest and witness the otherworldly panorama. Enjoy the breeze through the shady terrace. View the natural and man-made wonders from every lovely angle. Be dazzled.
9. Thoughtful Details: guides, menus, maps, great sound system and TV, DVDs and books, French press, flashlights, full kitchen, nice linens changed regularly, paper products, bottled water, wifi, easily arranged laundry and meal delivery.
10. Privacy: Perfect for couples. Doesn't get any more romantic and relaxing than Villa Rumah Cahaya."
Guest: D Harris
Date of Stay: September 2015
Review Submitted: October 12, 2015