VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
This property allows you to book online with a credit card. After submitting a reservation request, the owner or manager has 24 hours to accept, at which time your card will be charged and you will receive an email confirmation
"We stayed there with another couple in October, 2914 during the peak of foliage season. The house is isolated and has a spectacular water view. A kayak and canoe are provided for use in the pond behind the house.
There are many walking trails on the property with lot of room for the kids and dogs to play outside.
For those that want to travel, The Writer's Retreat is centrally located in Nova Scotia with easy access to Cape Breton, the Cabot Trail and the Ceildh Trail. It is also possible to do day trips to Halifax and PEI. Antigonish is just 20 minutes away.
The house is nicely decorated and has 5 deck with great views. The upper level with the master bedroom, bathroom and a sitting area with a desk is especially attractive.
The owner is extremely accommodating and friendly and has caregivers nearby if needed in her absence.
Staying at The Writer's Retreat was a great decision. It provided a home away from home for a fabulous vacation!"
Guest: Travel in' ' ManDate of Stay: October 2014Review Submitted: January 14, 2015
"Beautiful drive on the way there, it's a remote area with a store just before the last road in (Co-Op). Great place to relax with an excellent view. The bed in the main bedroom is very comfortable as well. Kitchen well equipped for all your cooking needs."
Guest: Jimmy JamesDate of Stay: October 2014Review Submitted: October 23, 2014
"we stayed at starfish hill for two weeks in June 2014. amazing things about the property:
- pet friendly - we brought our two dogs with us and they had a blast in the ocean and running around the property. the cottage is FAR from a main road so we weren't worried about them at all.
- very few bugs - i really hate mosquitos and we found that being by the river/ocean really helped with this. there was often a lovely breeze keeping things nice and fresh.
- close to "civilization" - being at this cottage you feel away from it all, but bridgewater is a 15 minute drive away for groceries, drug stores, some restaurants. traveling with a small baby, it was great to be so close to amenities if we needed them.
- the cottage itself obviously! - the furnishings are beautiful, the view is even better. we loved making fires in the evenings and sitting out on the deck for breakfasts.
- the setup - this cottage stocks almost everything you need! lots of towels, clean sheets on the bed, lots of dishes and glasses, full size fridge and great having a washer and dryer. i loved hanging my clothes on the line to dry, everything was so fresh and crisp!
- no TV, but great WIFI - i loved not having a tv. we had an iPad and when my husband HAD to watch baseball games, he got a great connection through the wifi and could watch anything on his iPad.
- the owners and caretakers - all fabulous! we had a small problem with the deck umbrella and a gentleman came the very next day and fixed it. great communication.
- anyone with kids - they have a great setup for kids. there was a pack n play waiting for me, there are fun bunk beds, and they have a ton of great toys in the shed for older kids to play with.
we are already talking about our next visit to starfish hill!"
Guest: Laura W.Date of Stay: June 2014Review Submitted: July 2, 2014
"My husband and I stayed here for a week during Celtic Colours, clean and comfortable , great view , great sunsets, close to many music venues and good restaurants ! Everything was great !! This was our second stay , the driveway and patio upgrade really made a big improvement!!"
Guest: TwoTravelDate of Stay: October 2014Review Submitted: November 1, 2014