"and our top 6 reasons for why we will be going back to la Cuesta Roja:
1. Family-friendly - my partner and I and our two boys (7 & 9) had an adventure that will never be forgotten! We had no worries about their safety, lots of room to roam and expend energy, days were spent playing in the waves, running up and down the stairs - not as onerous as has been described, very manageable, generally discovering. Great house layout with separate room and bathroom for the kids, though we lived on the covered porch when not down at the beach or exploring the jungle.
2. Wildlife - the howler monkeys hung out one day in the trees beside the house, the 4 scarlet red macaws who returned to "their" tree daily, the lizards, the crabs, the wild horses on the beach across from the house, and all the dogs! Who needs a zoo - just go to la Cuesta Roja!
3. Vista & natural setting - overwhelmingly beautiful, just get in the hammock each morning and pinch yourself - it is real and it is amazing! Beaches to wander, jungle to explore, we paddled on the river and explored the mangroves. The stunning flowers around the property, discovering how pineapples grow, mango trees, banana trees and being able to eat as much coconut as we could!
4. La Cuesta Roja is remote yet so very comfortable - beds, cooking, small fridge, showers & flushing toilets (!), fab solar-powered system - never failed, laundry (!), even an iPod dock for our tunes in the evening!!! Jim has thought of everything. There are even 5-6 pairs of boots and 6 life-jackets as well as 2 boogie boards.
5. Jim was more like a friend than an owner, we really enjoyed our time with him - including a day of fantastic fishing - who catches a sailfish and a rooster fish - we did (well, Jim's expertise did!)!! He was so easy to work with, patiently answered all our Qs before we arrived, was available to us when were on-site and then shared pictures with us after our trip. Jim, you've got friends in Toronto!!!
6. This was a life experience, it is the most talked-about part of our 2wk trip in Costa Rica (surfing lessons in Dominical ranked #2!) and I've shared Jim's web-site link with loads of friends and encouraged them to take their own adventure. We'll be back :-)"
Guest: Sue S.
Date of Stay: March 2015
Review Submitted: April 8, 2015