VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
This property allows you to book online with a credit card. After submitting a reservation request, the owner or manager has 24 hours to accept, at which time your card will be charged and you will receive an email confirmation
Recent San Juan Del Sur reviews
Beautiful Home, Great Service!
"My boyfriend and I stayed at Casa Selva for a week. Wanting a blend of relaxation, adventure and comfort- This was perfect. The ReMax staff was very helpful and always quick to respond with answers and helpful information. Laura and Joel were also helpful in our entire trip planning madness to give advice and tips on coordination. The house is beautiful, clean, breezy, and lovely. We cooked twice a day and the kitchen was great! While we would not change anything about our stay, here is a bulleted list of pros and considerations:
- Most days, the breezy wonderful air was perfect. Nights were quite hot. We adapted well after the first night. One should know that breezy does not mean your nights will be 70 degrees with climate controlled air.
- If you want to be able to easily access nightlife in town, be prepared for a good 15 - 20 minutes on a dark bumpy dirt road (This would have been easier if Dollar Rental would have given us the automatic 4x4 I had confirmed 3 times over the two month lead up to our stay... But hey!? - Learning to drive a stick shift in Nicaragua was an adventure). Don't miss the signs!!
- The pool was ridden with bees, and we couldn't use it. This was somewhat disappointing, but most days we either spent on the beautiful beach, or the beautiful pool at Pelican Eyes in town.
- Beautiful home!! --Designed so well to compliment the beautiful nature that surrounds it. The breeze is wonderful and we enjoyed the openness of the home. Also, while you are close to other homes, it feels very private with the way the windows and layout are designed.
- Service! From before we arrived, Larua and the Remax staff were so helpful and easy to coordinate with. They helped us hire a driver to drive the car from the airport to SJDS, which I would highly recommend because there ARE NO MARKED road signs anywhere.
- Location!! While the nights we spent in town made for an interesting drive back to Balcones, we loved that we could experience SJDS and feel so relaxed and comfortable when we returned home.
- Beach! The beach that is reserved for Balcones is one of the best we visited in Nicaragua. It was private, clean, and had food and refreshments.
We would recommend this home to friends! The love and eco-conscious thought that went into designing this property really makes it feel like home. We are looking forward to going back."
Guest: AngeliqueDate of Stay: March 2015Review Submitted: April 4, 2015
"Me and a friend stayed at Margaret's house for 10 days in March.
First of all, it's a really nice and clean house! Everything we needed was there, and then some more. The open kitchen is amazing and so is the outdoor living room. The rooms are big and the beds comfortable. With the fans and the AC it's not too warm at night. So, as far as the house is concerned, everything was perfect.
Then there's the location!!! The beach is close, really close... Like 20 seconds walk close... It's not a big beach at all. It's quite small and there's not much to do. Only 2 little restaurants/bars and a surf rental place. But, that is exactly what we were looking for so it was perfect for us. Not a lot a people during the week days (mostly other tourists coming from San Juan for the day to learn how to surf... They are usually gone by 5pm and then the beach gets really quiet for the night). We noticed that there was a lot more people during the weekends but maybe it was just a coincidence (and by a lot more people I mean 25 people max)! The water is perfect if you want to learn how to surf... The waves are not to big but not small either. We've met some really nice local kids who were more than happy to give us some tips!
And as for the owners and the housekeepers they were all REALLY nice and accommodating. We got to see Margaret pretty much everyday. She answered all of our questions and was really helpful. I made a mistake when I first made the reservation and she was really accommodating and nice about it. As for Francisco and Flor, they are really nice as well. They helped us make local calls and they were there every time we needed something.
The only downside is that the house is a bit far from the city (15 minutes cab ride, about $15 one way). But as I said earlier we were there to enjoy a quiet and warm beach, so we didn't really go to San Juan that often. If you want to visit the area and go out to San Juan often, I definitely suggest renting a car.
If you are worried about the weather you can stop right now. It was sunny and +35 everyday. A bit windy at times but it's a good thing because if not it would be almost too warm (if there's such a thing!).
Thanks for a great vacation!!!"
Guest: Simon M.Date of Stay: March 2015Review Submitted: April 7, 2015
"Everything about Villas Playa Maderas is AMAZING.
We travel every year taking a month getaway, and our rule is we will never go to the same place twice... BUT this will be the exception to the rule. We most definitely will be returning!
The view is stunning, it's a short 2 minute walk to the beach along a private path, the infinity pool at sunset is to die for but what makes Villas Playa Maderas stand above any other place is the staffo. Without the wonderful team it wouldn't have the same energy of a home away from home.
Right from the time of booking Richardo personally called to confirm dates and to see if we needed anything else arranged.
Roberto and Maryleth live just about villa #1&2 and will take the very best care of you-they are the sweetest people you will ever meet- they take huge pride in that they do. I highly recommend getting Maryleth to make your meals, she's an amazing cook!
The 24 hour security team at the villas are great. This is the safest we have ever felt travelling, and when travelling with children you can't put a price on that.
We highly recommend Villas Playa Maderas to anyone travelling to Nicarugua! It's a place that can not be missed!"
Guest: West CoastDate of Stay: January 2015Review Submitted: February 4, 2015
"Casa Culebra was far beyond what we expected for our holiday!!! We will definitely return to Nicaragua, San Juan del Sur and Balcones de Majagual:)
The Remax folks in town set us up with Francesco (he is a gem!!!!) to pick us up from the airport and drive our rental car out to San Juan. Upon arrival, we stopped in to the Remax office where were we greeted and promptly toured around town. It was perfect AND we had a chance to pop in to stock up on goodies for our first breakfast.
Upon arriving at Balcones we were again reminded that we were in good hands. The staff are incredible and make you feel welcome and safe at all times. We were given the tour of our house - and it was far beyond our expectations! Far bigger than we thought, spotless and with TONS of kitchen bits & bobs.
Our 11 days were perfect. Truly. (ok fine, we had to kill a scorpion but really whatddya expect? it is the jungle after all but we will just add that to the list of life experiences in our back pocket!)
But really, this place was a slice of heaven. The house, the beaches, the kind people, the food - it was awesome. At any time, we felt we could contact the Remax folks in town for any support or with any questions.
I would highly recommend this property to anyone looking to have a great holiday with the opportunity to stay in the beauty of the jungle."
Guest: Heather C.Date of Stay: November 2014Review Submitted: January 14, 2015