The historic Gaslamp Quarter rests comfortably in the heart of the busy metropolitan community of San Diego and features a myriad of interesting and engaging activities for all who venture to this coastal urban sprawl. You’ll find a fusion of Victorian-era architecture mixed in with modern skyscrapers which house some of the city’s best restaurants, clubs and retail shops. This veritable playground boasts numerous local hot spots and cultural landmarks, and is a must-see destination for all who find themselves on the sunny shoreline of California’s second largest city.
Located on the southernmost tip of California, just north of the U.S.-Mexico border, the city of San Diego enjoys lavishly warm weather throughout the majority of the year. Winter brings with it some moderately cooler air currents, but temperatures never fall below freezing. Be sure to pack light with a few pairs of shorts, sunglasses and sandals to enjoy the comfortable warmth of sunny SoCal. A light jacket or sweater might come in handy during the later months of the year on the off chance that twilight brings a chill to the air.
The Gaslamp Quarter in located along the shoreline of one of the deepest natural bays on the Pacific coast, which has made it a manufacturing hotspot for sea-faring vessels both military and commercial. Enjoy a tour of some of the historical U.S. naval ships docked in the bay, or check out the nautical exhibits and boat tours at San Diego’s best maritime attraction.
- Climb aboard the USS Midway Museum, which is housed inside the longest-serving aircraft carrier of the 20th century. Guests will have the opportunity to peruse exhibits that document more than 50 years of naval and world history, or check out the 29 restored aircraft that are housed on the decks of this military relic. Flight simulators, short films and a chance to climb into the cockpits of some truly magnificent fighter jets await any traveler who makes their way aboard this historic vessel.
- The Maritime Museum of San Diego is one of the premier nautical attractions found anywhere throughout the world. This establishment focuses on restoring, maintaining and operating some of the most venerable ships that continue to glide over the ocean currents. The Star of India is a featured attraction, and the oldest active vessel on the planet. The collection features a variety of century-old frigates, steam boats and yachts that allow visitors to marvel at the quality craftsmanship and engineering of ages past.
Late Night Excursions
If you’re looking for an exciting night on the town, the Gaslamp Quarter is most definitely the place to be. With numerous local hot spots, nightclubs and celebrity hangouts, this chic district will be sure to offer a pleasurable evening that continues well into the wee hours of the morning.
- The Dollhouse is a trendy burlesque lounge that features a variety of celebrity performers and talented musical guests. Here you’ll find some of San Diego’s most beautiful dancers donning some rather risky lingerie and other scant articles as they perform an array of sultry and seductive numbers that are sure to get your blood pumping. The club was established by choreographer Robin Antin, who later founded the all-girl group known as the Pussycat Dolls.
- The Bassmnt is one of the Gaslamp Quarter's best dance clubs, and features a wide spectrum of electronic artists who are set on keeping your body in motion until the break of dawn. Fog machines, lasers and millions of multicolored LED lights turn this expansive club into an explosion of sights and sounds.
Diners and Delectables
This district is home to some of the most delicious cuisine you’ll find in San Diego. Whether you’re in the mood for some classic American eats, foreign delicacies or seafood delectables, the Gaslamp Quarter is sure to provide a great meal to quench your appetite.
- The Searsucker restaurant provides the finest and freshest seafood in the city, pairing entrees with a variety of locally brewed craft lagers and ales. The 7,000-square-foot restaurant has an open concept design that makes a friendly chat with the chef as easy as conversing with your own table mates.
- Worldly individuals will enjoy the menu at Bandar, which features a tantalizing selection of Persian cuisine that will surely delight your palate. Delicious marinades, prime cuts of meat and bold flavor combinations await hungry diners looking to spice up the evening with some exotic cuisine.
- Hennessey’s Gaslamp Tavern features all the American classics you’ve come to know and love, and presents them with friendly service in a warm atmosphere. This popular speakeasy is open 7 days a week, and the kitchen stays open until 2 a.m. in case you’re in need of some late night sustenance.
extract: The historic Gaslamp Quarter rests comfortably in the heart of the busy metropolitan community of San Diego and features a myriad of interesting and engaging activities for all who venture to this coastal urban sprawl.