VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
This property allows you to book online with a credit card. After submitting a reservation request, the owner or manager has 24 hours to accept, at which time your card will be charged and you will receive an email confirmation
Recent Puna District reviews
Definite local experience
"We loved getting to visit the Big Island and seeing all the true Hawaiian culture along with all the hot sites and little known secret places. Though there are a few things I wish had been different to make the stay easier and more pleasant.
1. There's no house number sign on the road to tell you where the house is and because the area is dense in trees/shrubs, we couldn't find it and had to stop and ask.
2. Upon entering the house there were cobwebs EVERYWHERE.
3. There's no AC, which we didn't expect, so we had to work out a system with fans and windows to keep it mild inside.
4. The couch sinks to the middle when you sit on it and not all the lights in the house work. Namely the living room light, so we had to overcompensate with the dining table light (which only had 2 of 5 bulbs in it until we added two more).
5. Ants. We couldn't leave any food out anywhere. Dirty dishes in the sink, crumbs of food our toddler left from eating, crumbs on the stove from cooking, nothing. We woke up in the mornings or returned from sight-seeing on more than one occasion to ants all over the floor, counter, and sink. Even when we had cleaned the dishes.
6. No dishwasher. Wasn't a huge inconvenience, but still a surprise I would have liked to have been prepared for.
7. The internet was not good. And the remotes for the tv and such didn't work half the time or at all. Also I would recommend widening the variety of movies provided. A family with young children needs more than just R-rated movies or less popular ones from the 1990s. We ended up watching most entertainment on our laptop or iPad, which only worked if the moment was right and only one device was connected to the internet.
The property is beautiful and we loved the frogs chirping at night and the colorful lizards crawling around the outside in the afternoon. We didn't spend a whole ton of time in the house as we were out and about seeing all we could every day. But when we were back these were the things we were dealing with that we wished we didn't have to."
Guest: AnonymousDate of Stay: February 2015Review Submitted: February 15, 2015
"The unique layout of this home, wrapped around a center Japanese garden, made our stay memorable. Sliding panels open the rooms to garden views and breezes. The two large bedrooms and four sitting areas sometimes made it challenging to find one another! The landscaped lava field across the street is beautiful, demonstrating the love and care also shown in the prints and art objects which decorate every room. We enjoyed the bicycles and the children loved the pool and the moas. You won't forget this special house. photos don't do it justice."
Guest: Susan B.Date of Stay: July 2015Review Submitted: August 1, 2015
"These owners embody the Hawaiian spirit of friendly acceptance. We felt welcome immediately upon arrival with a chilled plate of limes and guava and a huge bowl of fruit. The kitchen is well-stocked with condiments to get started and plenty of counter space. Extra amenities such as Band-Aids, hydrogen peroxide, flashlights, and umbrellas enabled us to enjoy this beautifully landscaped property after a day of exploring the island without driving back into town to purchase items we forgot. Our questions were promptly answered via email prior to our stay and information about local restaurants and day trips was readily available within the apartment. This location was very convenient to National Volcanoes Park and to Hilo. There are also good restaurants only 5-10 minutes away. We enjoyed both Volcano House and Kilauea Lodge.
We stayed at three other VRBOs during our island hopping, including a stand-alone home, and although they were all very comfortable and relaxing, this rural luxury space was most like the Hawaii we think about on the mainland. Clean, quiet, and comfortable, with spacious bath and bedroom, and decorated in the Hawaiian style, it made us feel at home. The ambience of the property is charming and the cool air of the evening lulled us into deep sleep.
If, in the future, we return to the Big Island, we hope this lovely sanctuary will still be available to rent."
Guest: Laurie L.Date of Stay: September 2015Review Submitted: October 16, 2015