VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
This property allows you to book online with a credit card. After submitting a reservation request, the owner or manager has 24 hours to accept, at which time your card will be charged and you will receive an email confirmation
Recent Puna District reviews
Snorkeller's Dream! Great spot to explore this less-developed side of the island!
"We absolutely loved waking up to such great views! You can enjoy the tidepools from just about everywhere in the house, but of course the best part is swimming in them!
The house is nicely finished, decorated, and supplied with everything you could need from kitchen stuff to beach towels to coolers and more. The layout is a little quirky with the exterior stair, but hey this is a vacation home in Hawaii; lots of things in Hawaii are outdoors because they CAN BE!
We enjoyed being a little bit off the beaten path in such a beautiful area of the island, but having great access to Volcano, Pahoa, and Hilo."
Guest: Sara & JeffDate of Stay: April 2015Review Submitted: April 25, 2015
"We loved getting to visit the Big Island and seeing all the true Hawaiian culture along with all the hot sites and little known secret places. Though there are a few things I wish had been different to make the stay easier and more pleasant.
1. There's no house number sign on the road to tell you where the house is and because the area is dense in trees/shrubs, we couldn't find it and had to stop and ask.
2. Upon entering the house there were cobwebs EVERYWHERE.
3. There's no AC, which we didn't expect, so we had to work out a system with fans and windows to keep it mild inside.
4. The couch sinks to the middle when you sit on it and not all the lights in the house work. Namely the living room light, so we had to overcompensate with the dining table light (which only had 2 of 5 bulbs in it until we added two more).
5. Ants. We couldn't leave any food out anywhere. Dirty dishes in the sink, crumbs of food our toddler left from eating, crumbs on the stove from cooking, nothing. We woke up in the mornings or returned from sight-seeing on more than one occasion to ants all over the floor, counter, and sink. Even when we had cleaned the dishes.
6. No dishwasher. Wasn't a huge inconvenience, but still a surprise I would have liked to have been prepared for.
7. The internet was not good. And the remotes for the tv and such didn't work half the time or at all. Also I would recommend widening the variety of movies provided. A family with young children needs more than just R-rated movies or less popular ones from the 1990s. We ended up watching most entertainment on our laptop or iPad, which only worked if the moment was right and only one device was connected to the internet.
The property is beautiful and we loved the frogs chirping at night and the colorful lizards crawling around the outside in the afternoon. We didn't spend a whole ton of time in the house as we were out and about seeing all we could every day. But when we were back these were the things we were dealing with that we wished we didn't have to."
Guest: AnonymousDate of Stay: February 2015Review Submitted: February 15, 2015
"It's a beautiful home in a quaint ocean side community. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. Everything was in great order. Fresh sheets and towels were on the bed. Yes, it did get a little warm in the house but the abundance of fans helped with that. The location is a little bit away from everything, but we enjoyed exploring and driving around the island so it was more of a plus than a minus. Our two boys enjoyed the yard in the back to run around and play catch. We hope to return someday!"
Guest: Mike P.Date of Stay: May 2015Review Submitted: May 7, 2015
"My husband and I and our 2 boys (11 & 14) stayed here for 3 nights. It was a beautiful, large home and property, and we loved the private pool! The home was very clean and the kitchen had everything we needed and more. It is about a 30 minute drive to the volcano, waterfalls around Hilo and the tide pools. We had a nice dinner in nearby Pahoa. The home is in a rural neighborhood and secluded.
Unfortunately, it was in the mid to upper 80's during our stay, and with no air conditioning, it got very hot. The temperatures didn't cool off much at night either. I would have liked to spend more time relaxing at the home, but we felt like we needed to be somewhere cooler during the day. And as soon as it gets dark, there are the frogs. I understand this is an invasive species that is very hard to get rid of. However, they are very loud, especially when you have to sleep with the windows open to cool down the house. My husband and 1 son did just fine. Myself and other son are light sleepers and had a difficult time sleeping."
Guest: Marilee G.Date of Stay: July 2015Review Submitted: July 22, 2015