VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
This property allows you to book online with a credit card. After submitting a reservation request, the owner or manager has 24 hours to accept, at which time your card will be charged and you will receive an email confirmation
Recent Puna District reviews
Definite local experience
"We loved getting to visit the Big Island and seeing all the true Hawaiian culture along with all the hot sites and little known secret places. Though there are a few things I wish had been different to make the stay easier and more pleasant.
1. There's no house number sign on the road to tell you where the house is and because the area is dense in trees/shrubs, we couldn't find it and had to stop and ask.
2. Upon entering the house there were cobwebs EVERYWHERE.
3. There's no AC, which we didn't expect, so we had to work out a system with fans and windows to keep it mild inside.
4. The couch sinks to the middle when you sit on it and not all the lights in the house work. Namely the living room light, so we had to overcompensate with the dining table light (which only had 2 of 5 bulbs in it until we added two more).
5. Ants. We couldn't leave any food out anywhere. Dirty dishes in the sink, crumbs of food our toddler left from eating, crumbs on the stove from cooking, nothing. We woke up in the mornings or returned from sight-seeing on more than one occasion to ants all over the floor, counter, and sink. Even when we had cleaned the dishes.
6. No dishwasher. Wasn't a huge inconvenience, but still a surprise I would have liked to have been prepared for.
7. The internet was not good. And the remotes for the tv and such didn't work half the time or at all. Also I would recommend widening the variety of movies provided. A family with young children needs more than just R-rated movies or less popular ones from the 1990s. We ended up watching most entertainment on our laptop or iPad, which only worked if the moment was right and only one device was connected to the internet.
The property is beautiful and we loved the frogs chirping at night and the colorful lizards crawling around the outside in the afternoon. We didn't spend a whole ton of time in the house as we were out and about seeing all we could every day. But when we were back these were the things we were dealing with that we wished we didn't have to."
Guest: AnonymousDate of Stay: February 2015Review Submitted: February 15, 2015
"My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. It exceeded our expectations hugely. Only about 40 mins from Hilo and a short 5-10min drive to the volcano national park. Very easy to find with the directions given by the owner Dennis. This cottage had everything we needed plus more.
Dennis was great with communications prior to our stay and was happy to help with any questions.
I would recommend this to everyone!
Thank you so much Dennis!"
Guest: Melissa C.Date of Stay: July 2015Review Submitted: August 4, 2015
"A week spent at the Tidepools House with my extended family was an experience we'll never forget. Comfortable house with everything we needed, fabulous ocean views and our very own warm lagoon at the back steps!! So many beautiful fish and the sunrises were glorious. Sitting on the deck in the evening with the sound of the surf breaking on the reef, palm trees swaying in the breeze and the full moon above was magical. A fantasyland for children and a laid back relaxing atmosphere for adults. We loved it!!"
Guest: WombatDate of Stay: July 2015Review Submitted: August 10, 2015
"A completely furnished Home Away from Home! Great property for peace and quiet. Sitting with coffee in the morning on the front porch, listening to the birds and in the evening the frogs. The house is quiet and private, the landscaping is very pretty, and the wonders of Puna are all around you. Close to the beach, tidepools, and the "end of the road" lava flows (but not too close!) Thanks Tim for a great rental!"
Guest: joayne a.Date of Stay: March 2015Review Submitted: April 2, 2015