"We stayed at this home August 1st-8th. Unfortunately, on our second day an incredible storm (100 mph straight line winds) hit the Sleeping Bear area and ravaged Glen Arbor (and our vacation!) Our stay was Saturday-Saturday and we were without power from Sunday-Friday evening. All the parks were closed for the length of our trip (including the dune climb right across the street!) due to downed trees (everywhere). We had a week's worth of food and no refrigeration, showers, or toilets. This trip was a dream for my mother and she spent more than she ever has to rent this home for her children, their significant others, and her husband. After a day of flushing the toilets with lake water and buying lots of ice, the owner drove 5 hours to save our vacation (we were just about to leave!) Chris brought a gigantic generator and enough gasoline for the week. He spent two hours installing it to the entire home, bringing not only electricity but water (hot water!) He then turned around and drove 5 hours home in the middle of the night. We were so grateful for Elizabeth and Chris's kindness and generosity. We were able to share these resources with the neighbors and make the most of the vacation (and beautiful Little Glen Lake).
This vacation was not what we had hoped for, but to no fault of the owners of this property. Below are some positive things to note about this vacation home:
- Location: right across from the Dune Climb and Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail and directly on Little Glen Lake! Also close to Alligator Trail and biking (and running) distance from the town of Glen Arbor (located between Empire and Glen Arbor).
- Condition: the home was not updated but very clean. The kitchen has everything you could need (maybe too much!)
- Comfort: we slept 7 comfortably (our 8th member canceled his flight due to the storm!)
- Bathrooms: 2 full baths, 1 bathroom with a toilet (small shower but it was broken when we were there) and an outdoor shower.
- Outdoor space: great deck, dock, grill, and picnic table. The home also comes with a row boat and a canoe. The water is shallow and crystal clear.
Thank you again to Elizabeth and her father Chris for going out of their way to make our stay more comfortable during an unforeseen situation. We would highly recommend this property to their hospitality, the location, and the space it provided our family."
Guest: Katie G.
Date of Stay: August 2015
Review Submitted: August 26, 2015