VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
This property allows you to book online with a credit card. After submitting a reservation request, the owner or manager has 24 hours to accept, at which time your card will be charged and you will receive an email confirmation
"We enjoyed this quaint little cabin. It is just right for 2 people, although it could accommodate 2 more. It was well
maintained and very clean. It is off the main road so it is very quiet and also quite scenic."
Guest: Joe K.Date of Stay: September 2015Review Submitted: September 22, 2015
"My friends and I had a wonderful four day/five night stay at The Oar House on Lake Lanier. Literally one of the best lake houses we've ever rented. It is spacious, comfortable and well-stocked from kitchen items to games. Thank goodness for the house phone because we had zero cell coverage out there. The wireless internet and cable were appreciated. My husband loved the canoe. I loved how I could dive right into the lake from the dock and how convenient the location was to all sorts of things (e.g. hiking, antiques, vineyards, etc.). Wish I could give it 4.5 stars because there are only a few things that I can suggest to make it an even better experience:
1) The fridge and the upstairs bathroom still had remnants from the former tenant (nothing major, but noticeable).
2) We had to knock down several spider webs outside and avoid certain deck areas due to a wasp nest. Some of this is unavoidable, but it would have been nice to have it knocked down and sprayed before our arrival.
3) The dvd player in the living room was kaput; we tried several standard dvds and each just produced a can't be read error message. It was the only dvd player in the house, and it wasn't a smart TV so we couldn't hook our Ipods up to it and play movies without buying a cord or two from the local computer store. We ended up watching movies on our small laptop.
4) The ladder for getting out of the lake was rather difficult for us older folks to use. A little lower with an extra step would be ideal.
1) The current dining room table seems to seat six comfortably, but the home can accommodate 10 or more. Perhaps a larger dining room or a sturdy folding table would be nice, especially for the larger groups who rent your home during the holidays. That said, the home does have five or six bar stools in the kitchen, which are perfect for informal meals, but I'm just thinking about a family Thanksgiving or Christmas. Food for thought (the option may already exist).
2) The three boating options are fantastic. The noodles came in handy, too, but the one inner tube was really small (kid size?). It would be nice to have another floating option or two and/or maybe a paddle board.
3) For the fall and winter months when the lake is a little too cool to swim in, consider a small (portable) fire pit for sitting out on the deck, overlooking the lake/gorgeous colors and making s'mores.
We highly recommend TOH. Miss it already!"
Guest: Teresa W.Date of Stay: July 2015Review Submitted: August 3, 2015
"Beautiful, homey, large cabin with plenty of room for our family vacation. We had a 15 month old with us, so we really appreciated all the "extras" to accommodate a little one like gates for the stairs, pack-n-play, and toys. The cabin is so beautiful inside with mountain decor! We really enjoyed the deck with plenty of sitting areas, a water feature, gas grill and hot tub. Also enjoyed a family game night in the media room. Location is great: we spent a day in nearby Lake Lure and Chimney Rock and also enjoyed KidSense interactive museum. for little ones located in Rutherfordton."
Guest: Fun Time Maw-mawDate of Stay: June 2015Review Submitted: June 29, 2015
"Our family rented this beautiful cabin for a long weekend while attending a horse show at the Tryon International Equestrian Center (which literally is about 5 minutes away!) The cabin is well equipped and taken care of. It has just about everything you could need. The owners were fabulous and very attentive. They wanted to be sure we had everything we needed and took care of a need we had immediately! It was the perfect place to come back to after spending the day at the horse show. The setting is beautiful and has the river and park directly across the street. The cabin is pet friendly which was a plus for us! It is close to downtown Rutherfordton which is quaint and fun to explore. We also found a great gem/fossil mining place which our child enjoyed.
We would highly recommend this cabin to anyone visiting the area, and especially to those who are attending a horse show near by as it is so convenient. We will definitely be back again. Thanks again to the owners for making our stay a great one!"
Guest: EMHDate of Stay: April 2015Review Submitted: April 15, 2015