Considered one of the "best kept secrets on the Gulf Coast," Port Aransas is just a half hour from Corpus Christi and a great place to have fun on exploring adventures or kick back and relax.
This Texas town offers some of the best fishing spots in the state, so be sure to pack your tackle box and pole if you're looking forward to catching your dinner. There are also a variety of opportunities to learn about the history of Port Aransas as well as the art and culture scene here. When you're not checking out the sights, be sure to stop into the local restaurants for some serious down-home cooking and barbecue done right. When the weather is nice, the beaches of Port Aransas are a lovely place to spend an afternoon for people who like to search for seashells, kayak or simply enjoy the peaceful setting as are the various other outdoor attractions - no matter your age.
Things to Do in Port Aransas
- Port Aransas Museum: Learn all about the history of Port Aransas at the Port Aransas Museum, where more than 30 docents have been trained to teach you information pertaining to the area throughout the years. They'll lead you on a tour, explaining each of the exhibits and answer any questions you have about the more than 12,000 documents and photos archived here, along with artifacts, oral histories and movies of Port Aransas in the 1920s. Exhibits like "Great Winds" and "High Water" bring to light natural disasters that have rocked Texas, and other displays include the Fourth Order Fresnel lens that was on top of the Lydia Ann Lighthouse from 1878 through 1952, and more. The museum is open Thursday through Saturday every week and admission is free, so a visit won't break your travel budget.
- Port Aransas Art Center: Those who appreciate artwork will truly enjoy a trip to the Port Aransas Art Center, where artists from Coastal Bend, Austin, Houston, San Antonio and elsewhere, including around the U.S. and Canada, display and sell their masterpieces, and take classes and workshops. If you're looking for some local Texan art to bring back and display in your own home, you're sure to find something unique and beautiful here. Explore the space and see what meets your aesthetic appeal, and if you're there on the first Friday of the month, check out the evening receptions that take place for artists, groups or traveling exhibits. Live music creates a party atmosphere and refreshments are provided, giving you a chance to talk to other art lovers and the artists themselves.
- Robert's Point Park: If you've ever wanted to see dolphins, head to Robert's Point Park and make a new aquatic friend. It's also home to a variety of activities for family fun on the waterfront. The 50-acre park features a pavilion for a cookout and there's a stage for festivals and local talent to perform live. Robert's Point Park is an exceptional spot for fishing due to the granite jetties. From the observation tower you can catch a glimpse of dolphins frolicking in the water. Pack a picnic lunch for a lovely outdoor meal as you take in the scenery, then start up a friendly game of basketball, horseshoe, sand volleyball or shuffleboard. A favorite spot here is the xeriscape garden that's home to plants and wildlife, and it serves to educate and charm visitors.
- Mustang Island State Park: Another terrific outdoor space to visit is Mustang Island State Park, which is great for fishing, hiking and biking due to the 5 miles of beach, swimming, surfing, kayaking and birding activities, and so much more. Whether you're looking for an adventure or a quiet afternoon, you can find both here. If you're ready to hit the water, the Mustang Island State Park Paddling Trail follows the western shoreline of the island, where you'll find awesome shallow-water fishing and bird watching.
Dining in Port Aransas
- Moby Dick's Restaurant: For an a family fun night and delicious meal to boot, head to Moby Dick's Restaurant, where an all?-star staff has been brought together to create only the tastiest meals in the area using the finest ingredients they can find. You're sure to enjoy fresh seafood and shrimp, USDA hand-cut steaks, live Maine lobsters, amazing burgers and crisp, refreshing salads.
- The Crazy Cajun Restaurant: At the Crazy Cajun you can have a little taste of New Orleans. Creole, Cajun and Southern flavor be enjoyed right in Port Aransas. Gumbo is a must here, which you can get with chicken, shrimp, smoked sausage or seafood. There are also rockin' ribs, shrimp remoulade, and the hungry Cajun? - which includes spices, fresh shrimp, crab, smoked sausage, corn on the cob and potatoes for those with big appetites. The Crazy Cajun provides an exciting, lively atmosphere that's good fun for families and friends looking to enjoy a fun night out.