"My family and I enjoyed the creature comforts of this condo better than nearby Horseshoe Bay Resort (actual hotel) and the adjacent HBR Paseo apartments where we've stayed before. The space was more than sufficient for four; the furniture and amenities nicer than the hotel; the view far superior than 1/3 mile away at the HBR hotel or apartments.
We liked the cleanliness of the kitchen, bathrooms, guestrooms and living room. The two beds were comfortable, as were the pillows. No issues with housekeeping.
Two concerns shared with the owner. One, the living room TV appears to be set up for Roku only, and we never were able to watch traditional, live cable TV on the main TV despite speaking to Northland Communications helpdesk. It took a while to figure out Roku, and we enjoyed some familiar shows that were recorded. The TV in the master bedroom was used more, and had live TV programming. There is no TV in the secondary room which we used for our teenagers.
Second, I got to meet the Horseshoe Bay Fire Department chief by staying at this location. Not planned. Long story short, I called the owner to have the unit's thermostat fixed since the unit was too cold. First, an HVAC technician was dispatched to the unit and arrived early in the morning which posed an inconvenience to my family. After inspecting the unit, he said the thermostat and related equipment near the indoor hot water heater was not drawing enough electrical power.
Later that same day, an electrician came to the unit, presenting more disruption as my family had to cut short a visit in Marble Falls with a friend so I could meet the electrician at the unit. He found a 120 volt wire loose, with cinged traces of that wire caused by arcing below, and told me it was a significant fire threat. Not comforting. When he pulled on the wire in question, the entire complex's fire alarm sounded; screeching alarms set off; lights blinked; occupants walked down the stairs as the elevator was disabled; and the Horseshoe Bay FD engine #11 was dispatched.
The electrician and I talked to the FD and chief. The electrician fixed the faulty wire and declared the unit safe. The owner allowed us to stay beyond normal check-out time on Sunday, but insisted her unit was not the cause of the fire alarm. To this day, I disagree based on the report of the electrician.
When I think of this unit, and complex, our family will forever remember the Horseshoe Bay FD and engine that visited us on Spring Break."
Guest: Native Texan
Date of Stay: March 2015
Review Submitted: March 25, 2015