The property itself is an attractive modern family home finished in an 'industrial farmhouse’ style, but yet in keeping with the character you would expect from a property with such history. The property itself is well presented throughout & briefly comprises of:
On the ground floor a generously sized fully equipped kitchen diner with AGA, a handy boot room, separate utility room & cloakroom. There is a family room which has sliding doors opening into the triple aspect living space which has a cosy log burner.
Upstairs there are three double bedrooms & the master with en suite shower room. There is also a modern family bathroom. Outside there is ample parking and front and rear gardens, the latter being enclosed with gates and fencing.
Please note that Home and Away only let us set one price and we have different rates. Your quote might not be correct but will be amended to the following:
£1,000 a week for a tenancy in January and February
£1,250 a week for a tenancy in March
£1,500 a week for a tenancy April through to end August
£1,250 a week for a tenancy in September and October
£1,000 a week for a tenancy in November and December (not including Xmas week)
The house is high up on a hill with views locally across Lewes and this part of the South Downs. Physically the property is within the complex of The Old Racecourse buildings with good access to footpaths and bridleways. The South Downs Way is a short distance and offers unparalleled walking, cycling, hacking and trekking opportunities between Winchester and Eastbourne.
The recently modernised and up-dated family home provides all the pre-requisites of modern family living whilst being steeped in local history, having once been the 'totaliser scoreboard' for the racecourse site. Savouring its peaceful surrounds, the property is approx a mile away from the town centre and all the facilities and amenities that Lewes has to offer with its unique shopping and historical centre together with the railway station (London Victoria 1 hour). Nearby the city of Brighton and Hove also provides excellent recreational and cultural facilities. The internationally renowned Glyndebourne Opera House is about 5 miles to the east. The South Downs National Park provides wonderful opportunities for walking, riding and recreation and can be accessed directly from the property. The A27 lies a short distance to the south of Lewes and provides fast access to the A23/M23, Gatwick Airport and the national motorway network.
The Race Course - A Brief History - The earliest date on which horseracing took place at Lewes is not known, but it was sometime during the reign of Queen Anne, before official records were kept. Thomas Marchant of Hurstpierpoint mentions in his unpublished diary a plate race at Lewes in 1714. Certainly a race meeting was held in 1727 and this year probably marks the beginning of regular racing at this County Town course. There are records that show Thomas Turner was a regular visitor up to the year 1765; meetings were held in August with the biggest race being the £100 Kings Plate.
The course was, and still is, one mile west of the town centre of Lewes. It is situated some 500 feet above sea level, the turf resting above deep layers of porous chalk, thus ensuring excellent going. It is a right hand course in the shape of a narrow horseshoe, the first part being on a strong incline and then it becomes level for six furlongs.
The first race stand was built in 1772, although this burnt down in 1842 and a new stand was erected in 1874, later to be enlarged in 1893. The Prince of Wales, later to become George IV, seldom missed a Lewes meeting. In 1790 the Prince, who by then had his own racing stables, a part of which was based on his new Brighton Pavilion estate, won the 25 Guineas Sweepstake at Lewes with his horse Smoker. On 27th July 1806 a famous match took place between two celebrated horses of the day, Sancho and Pavilion, for a purse of 2000 Guineas. The Prince turned up in his barouche (a horse-drawn carriage fashionable in his day) accompanied by six beautiful greys. In 1955 the last of the unique trio of two-day meetings took place.
Unfortunately, Lewes Racecourse suffered from having no running water, no mains electricity or gas and was not connected to the town’s drainage system. Without doubt these shortcomings contributed to he demise of the course. In 1964 a statement was issued by the Horserace Betting Levy Board to the effect that they were withdrawing funding for Lewes with immediate effect. Losing this financial subsidy was the writing was on the wall despite the fact that Lewes held a special place in the hearts of a host of racegoers and townsfolk alike. All would have read with great sadness the news that the last Lewes Horse Race meeting ever was to take place on 14th September 1964.
The racecourse is now privately owned and used for racehorse training and other equestrian pursuits.
IN THE INTERESTS OF SAFETY PLEASE DO NOT WANDER ONTO THE RACECOURSE AND STAY ON THE ADJOINING FOOTPATHS AND BRIDLEWAYS