You will love our cozy little cottage, snuggled in the beautiful Ohia forest. Make yourself at home in your own little rainforest retreat, and wake up to views of the beautiful hapuu ferns right outside your window. This little cutie has everything you need for an east Hawaii adventure!
WHAT’S UP WITH THE VOLCANO?
The national park is OPEN and the crater is STUNNING! They are continually evaluating new trails and sites within the park and opening them up to visitors - we'll message you before your stay with the latest!
· Kīlauea Visitor Center (closes at 5 p.m.)
· Hawai‘i Pacific Parks Association store at Kīlauea Visitor Center (closes at 5 p.m.)
· Crater Rim Trail between Volcano House and Kilauea Military Camp
· Sulphur Banks Trail
· Crater Rim Drive to Steam Vents
· Kīlauea Iki Overlook and parking lot
· Devastation Trail and Pu‘u Pua‘i
· Crater Rim Drive to Keanakāko‘i Crater, for pedestrians and bicyclists only
· Mauna Loa Road to Kīpukapuaulu; open to pedestrians and bicyclists past Kīpukapuaulu
· Sections of Escape Road from Highway 11
· Chain of Craters Road
The Volcano Art Center Gallery, Kilauea Military Camp (all facilities), and Volcano House (lobby and viewing area, bar, and gift shop) are also open.
Even outside the park, there is much to do! Our little Volcano Village is the perfect spot to relax. Slightly cooler with less humidity and no vog, it’s a hidden rainforest retreat! Volcano Village is a small town just Hilo side of Volcanoes National Park. We are a beautiful little artist community and great resting spot for seeing the east side of the island with it's rainforest, orchid gardens, winery, hiking trails, farmers markets -- simply an amazing place. Perfectly between the green and black sand beaches, the uniqueness of Pahoa, and old Hawaii in Hilo town . We hope you will come discover it for yourself, and love it just as much as we do!
Now, a little about the house -- it's the perfect little cottage for a Big Island adventure!
Puolani Iki gives you just enough room to settle in and recover from your day hiking and exploring the east side of the Big Island. With a comfy living room/full kitchen, master bedroom, and spacious bath, this little house provides everything you need for a few nights in the rainforest!
The master bedroom has one very comfortable king size bed with memory foam topper, and the couch in the living room can comfortably accomodate a child or adult under 6' tall. Extra linens and plenty of blankets are provided.
We pride ourselves on thinking of the details and giving you something just a little extra, but if you are looking for 5-star luxury accommodations, this probably isn’t the place for you. If you want your own adorable, private cottage nestled into the rainforest, we would love to have you stay with us!
If you are bringing a little one with you, please let us know so we can provide a pack and play and high chair - we want your stay to be amazing AND relaxing!
Some features of Puolani Iki:
· NEW! - Fresh Volcano produce delivery
• House is situated on the lot to provide maximum privacy
• Ample Parking
• Flashlights for nighttime exploring
• Guidebooks, magazines, and various other reading material
• Board games (be a kid again!)
• Outlets (3-prong and USB)
• Full size range, oven, and refrigerator/freezer
• Cooking basics including coffee, tea, sugar, pancake mix, farm fresh local eggs when available, pasta and rice, oil and vinegar, water, sweet treats, and a welcome bottle of wine.
• Drip and percolator coffee makers and tea kettle
• King size bed with clean linens
• HD TV with Apple TV and streaming services
• Wifi internet connection
• Safe for your valuables
• Spacious bathroom with tub and shower
• Toiletries, including shampoo/conditioner, sunscreen and lotion
• Bath and beach towels
• Wave board, umbrella, and cooler for your beach day
• Safe for your valuables
• Washer and dryer, plus laundry supplies
You will have your own key and have the whole place to yourself. Your own Hawaiian cottage.
We live in Volcano and would love to welcome you to your new home. Our past interaction with guests has ranged from sharing dinner and wine, to hardly seeing them at all! Wherever you fall on the spectrum, if you need anything during your stay, we're just a phone call or text away.
Other things to note:
We prefer 2 night or longer stays (you really need that time to explore the area!), but will consider one-nights. If you're visiting the volcano and don't want to drive back late at night, please message us to check availability! We would love to host you for an evening.
There are some small, convenience-style stores in Volcano, but you might want to pick up some groceries before you arrive. There is also a farmer stand which does custom orders you can schedule ahead of time and pickup the day you arrive. If you are interested in this service, please let us know and we will send you the brochure. We do have a nice selection of cooking basics offered free of charge. Please ask us if you need a complete list.
We welcome everyone and would love to have you stay with us!
Looking for something slightly larger? Please see our other rental property, Hau‘oli Place (the Happy Place!) which comfortably sleeps 4, or Lil Blue, a tiny house which sleeps 3.
Wanna go even smaller? Check out Hale Iki which was featured on HGTV!
Puolani Iki is located 35 minutes from Hilo and about 2 hours from Kona. It’s in a quiet neighborhood on just under 1/3 of an acre, surrounded by lush rainforst and lost of native plants.
Just across the highway is Volcano Village where you will find several restaurants, a community center, Volcano Art Gallery, and the wonderful early morning Sunday Volcano Farmers Market.
Though only three miles from the entrance to Volcanoes National Park, we are in a very safe area and are fortunate to be upwind from the crater, typically providing very good air quality.
This is a big island and a rental car is required to get the most out of your experience.