Charming Six Bedroom Waterview East Chop Victorian in Excellent Location(7 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:1-14 nights
- Property type:Cottage
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
About the Property
6 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, Sleeps 10.
The house overlooks a pine and oak forest to the West and Nantucket Sound to the East where the sun rises out of the water in the summer. Wake up with your coffee and walk 5 minutes to Jetty Beach, Oak Bluffs harbor or the East Chop Beach Club for an early morning swim.
Walk around the harbor from either Jetty Beach or along East Chop Drive to Oak Bluffs, passing the town's public boat ramp and waterfront houses. Pass the moored sailboats in the harbor and walk along the quayway into town where motorboats and charter fishing boats rest in their slips.
Pass newspaper and coffee shops, restaurants, bicycle rental stores, movie theatres and the Flying Horse Carrousel on the way to Circuit Avenue & Ocean Park, all before breakfast. Life is good!
There have been many upgrades in the last several years, including; a new roof and windows, new downstairs bathroom with warm floor tiles, a rebuilt porch, shingling, painting and an updated kitchen with all the conveniences to help make it as warm and comfortable in the spring and fall (with the fireplace's Vermont Casting propane stove) as it is in the summer. Many guests return year after year in the summer or for off-season weeks. Others come back intermittently for weddings, romantic weekends, and family gatherings. Everyone seems to race to his or her favorite bedroom upon arrival!
History: Our former Methodist Campground cottage was moved from downtown Oak Bluffs by horse and cart, around the harbor and up the hill to East Chop Highlands sometime before 1896. Photos of the house in 1896 and 1910 offer a historic perspective.
The house has been added onto extensively since its move. The photograph from 1896 shows the house with old gingerbread trim on a gabled end, a balcony that no longer exists, as well as an older woman sitting in a rocker on the porch. Her age in the picture and the age of the photo indicate that she may have been born around the time of Jefferson's presidency. An extensive description of the house and how it has been renovated over the decades appears in the back of the 'Guide to East Chop Families'' written by Jane Meleney Coe.
The house is fully equipped in the kitchen, in the dining room, on the porches and for beach picnics, as well as on the deck where barbecuing and dinner under the stars is a favorite activity. The house is ready for your laptop with wireless broadband service. The living room has a flat screen TV with cable.
Outside furniture, beach chairs are available in the basement, which is near the hot and cold water outside shower and changing area. Trips to town are easy for walkers or bikers, and local restaurants, like the Ocean View, and convenient newspaper, food and liquor stores like Our Market and Tony's Market are close at hand. The house has a lawn with an underground sprinkler system. A hammock and Adirondack furniture are hidden in the woods, and bird feeders and innovative ''yard art'' sculptures grace the gentle setting.
Please contact the owner via email for questions you may have. We hope you plan a visit to our summer home this year.
Member since: 2004
- 2500 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Low Allergen Environment
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- First Floor Queen Bedroom is perfect for a romantic couple, mom and dad, or Grandma and Grandpa, with the rest of the crowd sleeping upstairs. First Floor bedroom opens up with the original Victorian double doors to the wrap around covered porch. This room has its own entrance and is easily accessible. Second Floor: The Queen Bedroom overlooks Nantucket Sound and is bright and airy. The next door twin water-view room is great for a single child or adult. It contains a dresser and a desk that can hold a laptop computer. A double bedroom overlooks the pine and oak forested back yard and East Chop Association's Mill Square Park. Two additional double twin bedrooms round out the six bedrooms. A full laundry and a charming skylighted bathroom are also available upstairs. Beds are made up with bedspreads, pillows, blankets and mattress pads. Tenants supply sheets and towels....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bathroom
- Updated full downstairs tiled bathroom with heated ceramic floor tiles, cast iron tub and shower with Victorian cottage style. The upstairs bathroom comes with skylight and painted nature scenes, including a hoot owl. Roomy hot and cold water shower and adjacent change area with convenient clothes line for wet suits and towels awaits outdoors. Motion detection lighting makes for convenient nighttime outside showers....moreless
- Bedrooms: 1st Floor - 1 Master Queen Bedroom with separate entrance from wrap-around porch. 2nd Floor - 1 Waterview Master Queen Bedroom, 1 Double (full-size) Bedroom, 2 Double Twin Bedrooms, 1 Water-view Single Twin Bedroom. All rooms equipped with dressers, mattress pads, pillows and bedspreads and a closet or hanging area for clothes. Most bedrooms have fans. Linens and towels are to be provided by guests or can be rented and delivered to the house on the morning of check-in. Check with Takemmy Linen Rental at (508) 693-2788 or takemmycleaners.com....moreless
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Autumn Foliage
- Botanical Garden
- Live Theater
- Nude Beach
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Equestrian Events
- Fly Fishing
- Ice Skating
- Jet Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Pier Fishing
- Roller Blading
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Activities Guide
- Alarm Clock
- Broadband Access
- Clothes Dryer
- Gas Heating
- Iron & Board
- Living Area
- Living Room
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Screen Porch / Veranda
- Unscreened Porch / Veranda
- Walkway To Water
- Wood Deck
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
May 25 - Jun 24, 2017
7 night min stay
Jul 15 - Jul 22, 2017
7 night min stay
Aug 12 - Sep 4, 2017
14 night min stay
Sep 5 - Oct 31, 2017
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $1,000
- Taxes Not included
A cleaning company will arrive at the house at 10:00 am on the last day of the lease. Renters are responsible for cleaning company expenses and these are subtracted from the security deposit before it is returned.
Renters must bring or make arrangements for their own linens and towels. Linen rentals are available at Takemmy Rentals on the island.
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Our home is in a quiet area away from all busy streets, but only a five minute walk with towel, book and beach chair to the private East Chop Beach Club, the public Jetty Beach, Oak Bluffs Harbor and a public boat ramp. The East Chop Yacht Club and marina are nearby and offer children sailing lessons in July & August. It is only a short walk or bike ride to the town of Oak Bluffs, several restaurants, ferry landings & shopping. Bike or walk from the house to the East Chop Tennis Club, the Light House for a Sunday tour, or to fresh water Crystal Lake (old ice pond) that overlooks Vineyard Haven Harbor & West Chop. (Couples should ask about a one bedroom waterfront rental cottage on Crystal Lake!)
After a day at the beach enjoy the sunny outside shower, drinks on the deck overlooking the woods, the wraparound covered porch overlooking the back yard, and a meal outside at the BBQ.
Other Activities: Bike & Nature Trails, Beaches, Charter Fishing, Shellfishing, Kayaking, Beach Picnics, Concerts, Car Shows, Fishing Tournaments, Golf, Art Galleries! There are endless interests available on Martha's Vineyard for couples or families to enjoy.
Golf: There are four golf courses & a mini-golf on the island:
Mink Meadows, Vineyard Haven - Public 9 holes;
Farm Neck, Oak Bluffs - Public 18 holes;
Edgartown Country Club, Edgartown - Private 18 holes;
Vineyard Golf Club, Edgartown; Private 18 holes;
Island Cove Mini-Golf.
Year Purchased: 1972
About the owner: Ted and Kate have been coming to Martha's Vineyard all their lives and met on the Vineyard.
Why the Owner Chose East Chop, Oak Bluffs, MA, USA:
Our house is in a wonderful location, away from traffic and the noise of downtown Oak Bluffs, but close enough to enjoy its benefits. Fully equipped and close to the beach and harbor, guests can enjoy the best of all worlds; the beach, walks, boating, birding, fishing, biking, the woods, and an upstairs water view. Older children can walk to the beaches by themselves.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
With or without a vehicle, our house is convenient to ferries arriving in Oak Bluffs. You can walk from the boat to our house in about 15 minutes. Ride your bike in about 10 minutes, or drive in about 5 minutes. The house is a wonderful mix of modern and antique, comfortable for everyone and a return destination for generations of families. We hope you will love it.
Links to more information:
East Chop Waterview Victorian near beach and town
Bedroom window view. Ferry arriving Oak Bluffs
Sunporch & Game Room
Living Room and Deck Beyond
Bright Fully Equipped Kitchen
Queen Waterview Bedroom Upstairs
Twin Waterview Bedroom Upstairs
Blue Double Twin Bedroom Upstairs
Hallway - 5 Bedrooms Upstairs
New raised deck and railing for 2014!
House Overlooking Yard, Parking Area & Woods
Sunporch with Game Closet
Living and Dining Rooms
Dining Room - Table with four leafs - seats 10
Downstairs Queen Bedroom opens onto Wrap Around Porch
Queen Waterview Bedroom Upstairs
Double bedroom with view of woods
Blue Double Twin Bedroom Upstairs
Friendly Fred Fencely
New Deck for 2014!
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM