Three bedroom, two bath house with gorgeous views of the mouth of the Smith River and the ocean. From the large picture windows you can watch the seals sleep on the sand spit across the river and the waves breaking just beyond on the ocean side of the spit. A three minute walk will get you to the beach, where, to our continual surprise, you will rarely find more than two or three other groups of people, if that.
The house sits quite a ways back from the main road on a 3/4 acre lot. A small, dead end gravel road passes by on the river side but has very little traffic. On the west side is a small creek though you can't really see it because the creek bed is quite brushy. On the east side is an empty lot, occasionally visited by elk, of several acres with a tree line on the far side. It is very peaceful and quiet.
The house itself has a spacious open plan with a living space of about 1700 sq. ft. It's clean and comfortable with a great feel but it's not luxurious. The floor is painted wood and the house is fairly sparsely furnished. There are a few unfinished details like missing kick boards and a few other things that we are working on bit by bit as we can. It's heated with a lovely wood stove in the living room and a heat pump at the bedroom end of the house. We provide wood and kindling for the stove. The main bathroom has a toilet, sink, shower and bathtub.
----- Sleeping -----
- The master bedroom has a California king bed, large closet, dresser and a small private bath with toilet, shower and sink.
- The second bedroom has a queen bed, large closet, and views of the river and ocean.
- The third bedroom has a double bed, large closet, and views of the river and ocean.
- The couch in the living room folds out into a double bed.
- We also have two 4" thick double tri-fold mattresses and two 4" thick single tri-fold mattresses available. There is lots of floor space for these in the living room. NOTE: these tri-folds are not always at the house so if you would like to have these available be sure to let us know ahead of time so we can be sure to have them there when you arrive.
----- Cooking and Dining -----
- Gas cook stove: 5 burners, convection oven, broiler. Relatively new and in excellent condition
- Large microwave/convection oven
- Drip coffee maker and grinder
- Slow cooker
- Large refrigerator that we keep mostly empty for our guests
- Dish washer
- Assorted pots and pans
- Assorted dining ware: plates, cups, glasses, silverware, etc.
- Salt, pepper and an assortment of herbs and spices
- Dining table sits 6 comfortably, 8 if you don't mind a bit of squeeze
----- The Neighborhood and Beyond -----
The wildlife in the area is spectacular! From the living room windows we’ve seen osprey, egrets, night heron, great blue heron, pelicans, geese, otter, seals and even an occasional bald eagle. On the other side of our house we occasionally have a herd of elk grazing in our yard and the neighboring field. From an overlook just a couple minutes walk from our house we’ve seen California gray whales spouting just outside the mouth of the river.
Area activities include bird watching, hiking, boating, ocean and river kayaking, beach combing, agate hunting, fishing, swimming, paddle boarding, and more. Just 5 minutes up the road from the house is Smith River Kayaks where you can rent touring and fishing kayaks or book a kayak tour.
Crescent City is 20 minutes to the south. Brookings and the Chetco river is 15 minutes north. In between is one spectacular beach after another. Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park is about 20 minutes away where you’ll find some of the tallest, most majestic trees in the world.