4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, pool, 3 fireplaces, panorama mountain view,
7 Miles to Kingston
- english, german
About 7 Miles to Kingston
I am native Austrian, and have been living in NYC since 1998. I work in fashion as a freelancer and also have a small raw chocolate company. I fell in love with that beautiful house and started renovating to become my favorite place where I find my inner peace surrounded by all this beautiful nature. I am so grateful that I have been able to restore this house with such a history. Give back a part of history to the country I choose to live at.
7 Miles to Kingston purchased this Farmhouse in 2016
Why 7 Miles to Kingston chose Kingston
“WHEN I FIRST WALKED IN, THE HOUSE JUST TOOK MY BREATH AWAY,” Konstanze Zeller says, describing the down-on-its-heels stone colonial she found in Marbletown in September 2016. Built on a hill with a view of the Catskills, the home was clearly and thoughtfully sited by the original builder, an influential cattle farmer with a lot of land in that region around 1780. The barns surrounding the house had been built first, and he later started to build the stone house, to be extended over the years. Along with an original icehouse, the property came with a historic registry describing the generations of births, lives, deaths and marriages that had occurred within the home’s two-foot-thick stone walls. Before it had been converted to a single-family home, the house was used as an inn. The property’s location on a knoll along the original route to Kingston, made it a well-known rest stop, and preceding generations turned the home into an inn. Out front, an antique mile marker, carved with the words “Seven Miles to Kingston,” dates back to the earliest days of the house. “It reminds me of an Austrian mountain house. It’s almost like a fortress. The house found me, and I am truly happy to be here. I will try bring the house back to the glory it used to have and open it to people to enjoy it with.
What makes this Farmhouse unique
The beauty of this house and the way the light hits the windows are magical. The salt water pool makes the summers even better. I think this house has so much charme any time of the year. This is one of the most unique and beautiful houses I have ever seen. Anybody who has been there feels the pleasant energy of this house and land. It gives me so much joy to spend my time there.
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Perfect Catskills Getaway!
7 Miles to Kingston is a special home. Perfectly renovated blending old charm with amazing modern touches throughout, this home is straight out of a home decor magazine. The grounds are beautiful and the pool is perfection. Every effort is made to ensure guests are comfortable and well equipped for their stay.
I could not ask for more accommodating renters. They treated my home if it would be theirs. They left my house as I prepared it for them. Laura graciously allowed for previously scheduled film shoot during her stay in my home. I was as delighted to rent my home to someone who was as delighted to stay. I would welcome them to rent my house anytime.
Beautiful Home Albeit With Glitches
First and foremost, if you are a lover of historic homes and renovations, this home will be a delight. Period features abound throughout the and it is clear that it has been restored painstakingly and with care. I, personally, liked the juxtaposition of the 1700s home and the modern furnishings. There were many thoughtful details throughout, but some glitches:
- The owner has had some less-than-savory experiences with renters in the past and is overly-cautious and protective to the point of it being to the detriment to the experience. I got the impression that they are fairly new to renting the property and so perhaps that will fade in time. There were a myriad of rules presented in the renter's agreement, most of which were common sense if you are a decent, tidy person. Add to that, notes posted all over the house restating the rules and it seemed a bit much. We could feel the nervousness and that made it feel at times like we were unwelcome guests.
- We brought our dog, which we paid the $500 security deposit for. We were instructed the dog was not to pee or poop in the fenced in area, which essentially meant the dog is not allowed in the yard, since I cannot control my dog's bladder or bowels. There were multiple signs posted in this area that we would be subjected to a $500 fine if we allowed the dog to do so. It probably makes sense for the owner to just not allow pets.
- Multiple security cameras outside felt a little invasive
- Laundry is not yet available. We had a situation where downpours prevented the pool towels and swimsuits from drying naturally. When I inquired about a dryer I was instructed that a laundromat was 10 minutes away. I think the owner was trying to be helpful, but at $1200 per night, this seemed an insulting response. Later communication further explained that laundry was under construction and should be available later in the year. Owner did make accommodations for us to utilize bath towels, which helped the situation.
- All beds except the master are against stone walls - with no head boards. Not comfortable for reading and not ideal for children.
- There are great dining spaces for large groups, but no communal lounge spaces to fit more than 4 ppl.
The pool was lovely, but use the pool cover at night. The living room projector was awesome. Enclosed porch was perfect for group meals. Overall, there is room for improvement with simple changes, but the ingredients are all there for a lovely time
Thank you for sharing your thought on our home. It is very insightful and will help us in our quest to make staying here a wonderful experience. The house carries a grand history and, as you favorably noted, we made an extensive effort to bring its luster back while keeping its integrity. As you suspected, we have only begun to share this magical place with vacationers and are still on the hunt for perfect additions and furnishings to compliment the interior. Probably rewording our notes around the house will help, so they won’t sound much likes “rules", but the intended instructions respectively. And we will find a good solution to keep the fenced area with its refreshing salt water pool clean and safe, while not excluding the little four legged vacationers.
Laundry will be available soon and we will adjust our posting accordingly when the time comes.
It was a pleasure hosting you and your family.
Beautiful home and property!
Wonderful stay on a beautiful property--old world charm mixed with the latest updates--secluded salt water pool was a highlight--charming estate in an equally charming part of the world--really enjoyed our time there and would happily stay at this house again!
Thank you Neil! I am so glad you had a great stay and enjoy this house. I hope to have you back soon. Best K. for 7 Miles to Kingston
Charming and rustic farmhouse
We had a lovely stay here. The home is a renovated rustic farmhouse so it is very unique and charming. There is a beautiful dining room so we did a lot of cooking and eating in. The kitchen has everything you could possibly need. The kids (and us too) loved sitting out by the fire pit and toasting marshmallows for s'mores. The owner was also very conscientious and prompt in responding to any questions which made for a very enjoyable stay.
Thank you so much for your nice words.
I am very happy you all had a great time.
7 Miles to Kingston