Abiquiu on the Mesa/ Designer Adobe Deluxe Vacation Home.(45 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
This owner doesn't offer online booking through VRBO's checkout. You won't be eligible for our Book with Confidence Guarantee.
Never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
About the Property
2 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Den, Sleeps 6
Two ample bedrooms (king and queen beds) have tiled ensuite baths. A large eastern portale facing the mountains is complete with outdoor fireplace. The house sits snugly on 30 + acres and borders the State Land with trails down to the Chama River.
There is a separate bathhouse with sauna and serene resting room. Wonderfully landscaped with desert flowers, the home is a peaceful and beautiful retreat.
Wildlife can be seen from the huge windows, which lend this home passive solar heat. Built on several levels this architectural home has beautiful fenestration which encompasses views from every angle.
Close by are the old Abiquiu pueblo, the non-excavated ruins of Poshuouinge, plus San Juan, Santa Clara and San Ildelfonso Pueblos.
Not to be missed are Ghost Ranch where Georgia O'Keeffe had her studio, Christ in the Desert Monastery, Abiquiu Lake, the Piedra Lumbre basin.
Colorful mesas give way to high mountains with Alpine meadows.
From late March through November the Georgia O'Keeffe house in Abiquiu is open for guided tours. Santa Fe and Taos are nearby for day trips. So are Chaco Canyon, Chama, Pagosa Springs, CO, Los Alamos and the Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs.
You might want to come out when the cottonwood trees are yellow and orange during the annual Abiquiu Studio Tour (Columbus Day weekend) in October, or one week later for the El Rito Studio Tour.
All seasons in Northern New Mexico are sensational.
Additional Information: We have a free internet phone which is connected to wifi. Flat screen tv and dvd player with plenty of good films and books. All pets are welcome in our home. We do charge $ 10/day for for extra cleaning.
Before making a payment, always call the owner at the number listed on our website to make sure your payment instructions are accurate.
Never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.Learn more
Member since: 2007
- 2400 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome:
- Pets Considered:
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- King size master bedroom has down quilts and handmade patchwork comforters. Mesquite flooring, kiva fireplace and walk in closet. There is an en suite bath with built in tub with spectacular views of the land preserve, two sinks on a handcrafted table, a walk in shower all tiled in travertine marble containing fossils. French doors lead to the eastern portal with views of the mountains. The guest bedroom offers a queen size bed, a full closet, a desk, en suite bath room with shower and a washer/dryer.In the DEN you'll find an extra day bed that sleeps two, a down filled sofa, a flat screen TV with basic satellite stations, Wifi, Skype, and books, guides for the area and board games....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- the master bath is a tranquil beauty with a huge window and beautiful view of the mesa. it has a double sink walk in shower beautiful travatine with fossils and loads of towels! the guest bathroom has a washer dryer as well as a walk in shower the sauna shower has both hot and cold water and is a great way to prepare for your sauna in the beautiful and peaceful bath house...moreless
- The Great Room and the master bedroom have kiva fireplaces. The Eastern Portal has an outdoor fireplace/BBQ. Firewood is provided. Parking for RV/Boat/Trailer. A separate bath house contains a beautifully handcrafted sauna, with a serene sitting room with shower. A door leads to a second portal which enjoys a warm southern exposure all year round. The open floor plan of the great room contains the gourmet kitchen which is complete with a Viking range, an Asko dishwasher, country sink and butcher block counters. There is a separate pantry with microwave and fridge and all necessary kitchen utensils. All pine cabinets and doors are handcrafted by local artisans. The large east facing portal has a built in fireplace for BBQ and handcrafted bench and table and chairs for outdoor dining with spectacular sunrise and moonrise views....moreless
- Music Library:
- Satellite / Cable:
- Autumn Foliage
- Live Theater
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Gambling Casinos
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Mountain views from all of the 3 outdoor spaces surrounding the house. The north facing portale is also a landscaped courtyard. The east facing portale contains a built in fireplace and the south facing terrace adjacent to the bath house is covered by an arbor. To the south of the house there is a view of the cottonwoods along the Chama River....moreless
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Cross Country Skiing
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Rock Climbing
- Ski Privileges Optional
- Whitewater Rafting
there are inserts in the garage to convert the table to seat 12--as well as additional chairs. tablecloths etc and candles to set a celebratory dinner. it is all handcrafted by our neighbor David...moreless
- Dining Area
- Seating for 12 people
- Clothes Dryer
- Free Long Distance:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Mobile Phone:
- Parking Off Street
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer
- Sofa Bed
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine
- Wireless Internet:
- Wood Fireplace:
- 4 Ring Stove
- Catering Available:
- Coffee Maker:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Ice Maker
The open floor plan of the great room contains the gourmet kitchen which is complete with a Viking range, an Asko dishwasher, country sink and butcher block counters. There is a separate pantry with microwave and fridge and all necessary kitchen utensils. All pine cabinets and doors are handcrafted by local artisans....moreless
- Pantry Items:
- Deck / Patio:
- Lanai / Gazebo:
- Lawn / Garden:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Pet Fee $10 + tax
- Tax Rate 6.5%
children and additional guests have an extra fee to be negotiated
50% down at booking balance due 12 weeks before check in
by check to owner NO CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
The home is on a high mesa surrounded by the Sangre des Cristo mountains and easily accessible to Santa Fe (opera Indian market films theater galleries and boutiques) and Taos(the 1000 year old pueblo). We are 15 minutes from Abiquiu the home of Georgia O'keefe, the lake, Ghost Ranch and many beautiful hikes and trails. We are near Ojo caliente old and famous hot springs plus many attractions in Northern New Mexico.
Other Activities: Shopping, Kayaking, Kayaking, Snowboarding, Wildlife Viewing
Year Purchased: 2000
About the owner: We are independent feature film producers and have traveled the world making movies with the likes of Wim Wenders, John Huston, John Schlesinger. In our many travels we have never found a place as special as Northern New Mexico and we have fun sharing it with many visitors from around the world. It is especially exciting to painters and photographers. It has such an incredible light no wonder Hollywood is coming to Northern New Mexico in the last few years!
Why the Owner Chose El Rito, New Mexico, United States of America:
We bought our piece of paradise from our old friend and neighbor in 1998 and she convinced us to build a house with a local architect and builder. 'a casita' The process was wonderful if at times perplexing because the local artisans never quite understood what we were talking about! We ended up with a wonderfully eclectic and delightful mix of styles of the southwest. A house filled with light and spirit!
The Unique Benefits at this House:
This property borders thousands of acres of state land and though it is rural and wonderful it is not remote. Our wonderful local architect Mike carefully picked out the best views from the window and angled the house perfectly to the sun. We had so much fun building it, picking the tiles and fixtures and inviting the local craftsmen to make our furniture and doors and plaster the walls and make our home unique, filled with light and yet cozy.
- Primary: +1 3236561024
- Secondary: +1 3109755120
Links to more information:
Abiquiu on the Medanales Mesa
Great Room with panoramic southern view and kiva
Master bedroom w/king bed and ensuite full bath
Guest bedroom with queen bed and ensuite bath
The great room looking south
Sangre de Cristo Mountains
Northern Courtyard in winter
Sauna with resting room
Sunset with snow dust
Monsoon clouds with rainbow from the eastern portale
Monsoon clouds over the Mesa
Eastern Portale View
Master bath room
The den w/daybed for 2 extra guests
Kiva Fireplace Living Room
Sunset at Medanales Mesa Retreat
The East portale
Sauna Portale looking South
Sage on the eastern portale
South side with sage
Rainbows in the East
A good snow dusting
This listing was first published here in 2007.
Date last modified - Thursday, January 12, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Request to book
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.