Chic Holiday Hideaways on a Quiet & Protected Sri Lankan Beach(1 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
3 Stylish 'Hideaways': two one bedroom's beachfront & one 2 bedroom set behind
Kotamba and Kahumba's bedrooms have a large double bed (six foot wide) with mosquito nets and ceiling fans. The living rooms both have two eight foot x 3 foot sofa in their living rooms that can double up as beds for children or other guests (they also have special sized sheets; all the sheets are 100% white cotton). Both bedrooms have en suite bathrooms finished in traditional Sri Lankan polished plaster providing a large shower, loo and basin. Kahumba’s shower is fully walled and partially open air. It also has a separate guest loo with basin. Kumbuk has one large double bedroom and a twin bed room. The prevailing on shore sea breeze varies in strength but generally provides all the hideaways with a cool and airy atmosphere augmented by ceiling fans in all rooms. None of the hideaways have air conditioning.
Each hideaway is fully equipped for self catering with china, glasses and cookware. Each has a large fridge, oven and a separate gas hob. There are no dishwashers or microwaves.
Alternatively, guests can book and eat local restaurants at the nearby hotels including Amanwella, Buckingham Place, Coco Tangalle or the small café on Mawella Beach.
On request and suitable notice we can also have a local well recommended chef cook for you.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2012
- Vacation Rental
- Catering Available
- Breakfast - Booking Possible
- Lunch - Booking Possible
- Dinner - Booking Possible
- Housekeeper Included
- Car Available
- Private Chef
- Children Welcome:
- Pets Considered
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4, Beds for 2-4
- Each hideaway’s bedroom has a large double bed (six foot wide) with mosquito nets and ceiling fans. The living rooms both have two eight foot x 3 foot sofa in their living rooms that can double up as beds for children or other guests (they also have special sized sheets; all the sheets are 100% white cotton). Both bedrooms have en suite bathrooms finished in traditional Sri Lankan polished plaster providing a large shower, loo and basin. Kahumba’s shower is fully walled and partially open air. It also has a separate guest loo with basin. The prevailing on-shore sea breeze varies in strength but generally provides each hideaway with a cool and airy atmosphere augmented by ceiling fans in all rooms. Neither hideaway has air conditioning....moreless
Bathrooms: 0 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
- Kotamba has one large bathroom ensuite to the bedroom containing a loo, basin and shower. (It is also accessible from the through corridor). There is also a beach shower next to the gate to the beach. Kahumba has an ensuite bathroom with loo, basin and fully enclosed shower with open ceiling. Kahumba also has a separate guest loo and basin....moreless
- The beach hideaways are available to rent individually or together. The rates quoted are per hideaway per night. We have a private chef who will cook for you if you like. She will also shop for you in the local town. The cost of the chef is included in the rent. All food costs are paid for by the guests. We also have a housekeeper who lives adjacent to the hideaways. Neither hideaway has air-conditioning. Both have fans in all rooms and benefit from the prevailing on shore breeze....moreless
- Away From It All
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Bird Watching
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Dining Area
- Seating for 8 people
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Dishes & Utensils
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Furniture
- Outdoor Grill:
- Porch / Veranda:
- Housekeeper Included
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Nov 4 - Feb 28, 2017
3 night min stay
Mar 1 - Mar 31, 2017
3 night min stay
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- No additional mandatory fees
The rates quoted are per shack per night. Kotamba and Kahumba are available to rent individually or as a whole. Rates are subject to change until confirmed.
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Car: Not Necessary
The hideaways are located on the south coast of Sri Lanka. 78 kilometres from Galle, 208 kilometres from the centre of Colombo and 220 kilometres from Colombo’s international airport. The new Hambantota international airport is 78 kilometres away. Mawella beach is more than a kilometre from the main road connecting Galle to the Sri Lanka south coast and Tangalle, the local market town seven kilometres away.
The seaplane runs from Colombo international airport to Dickwella airport which is on the lagoon 500 metres from the shacks. Otherwise a luxury mini van can be arranged to collect guests from Colombo airport (approximately 4 hours) from Galle (approximately 2 hours) or from other hotels or villas.
Beach: the tranquil sea in front of the shacks at this end of Mawella Beach is excellent for swimming as it is protected by the adjacent headland and is shallow for a good distance. At the far end of the beach there is generally good surf for boogie boarding. The beach is also good for running, frisbee and ball games. The beach cottages both have boogie boards and bat and balls available.
Further afield: the holiday shacks are ideally situated to explore Southern Sri Lanka many cultural and outdoor attractions:
Yala national park (100 kilometres away) famous for leopards, elephants and birds including fish eagles;
Seasonal turtle hatching at Rekewa (20 kilometres away), potentially followed by dinner at Buckingham Place, a highly rated hotel owned and run by a friend of the owners;
Udawalawe national park (65 kilometres away)
Kalametiya bird sanctuary providing bird watching via boat across fresh water lagoons bordered by palm trees;
Whale watching excursions from either Mirissa (40 kilometres) or Dondra (22 kilometres), depending
on the season;
Temples such as Mulkirigala and Wewurukanna;
Cricket at the historic and scenic Galle stadium right by the fort or at Hambantota, the latest international stadium in Sri Lanka (73 kilometres).
Thai massages by an experienced American can be arranged on sufficient advance notice; or guests can book at the nearby Amanwella hotel spa subject to availability and season.
Children are welcome and it's a good set-up for families, although there are no specific facilities for them, other than the beach. Parents should be aware that there are no life guards on the beach and the current can feel strong for inexperienced swimmers. We can organise English speaking childcare on sufficient notice.
The beach shacks and gardens are cared for by our local houseman, Indika who lives in a house situated behind and between Kotamba and Kahumba i.e., within 50 metres of each house. He is on hand to deal with and generally care for you during your stay. Each holiday shack is fully equipped with bed linen, beach and bath towels. India cleans, washes up and tidies the shacks and gardens every day.
The closest town is Tangalle which is about seven kilometres away. The team can shop there for you. Tangalle provides a food market, a small supermarket and various other simple shops for day to day purchases. The fish shops sell a range of locally caught seasonal fish, prawns and lobster. It is a working fisherman’s town and does not have real tourist attractions.
Indika can arrange tuk tuk or mini van transport for our guests for trips into Tangalle, day trips or to the airport. The sea plane lands from either Colombo airport or Galle 500 metres from the shacks. The sea plane can also be chartered privately.
View of the beach from the air taxi from Colombo Intl Airport
The protective headland at sunset
Kotamba from the garden
Kotamba's beach gate from the garden
Kotamba's living room
Kotamba's living room showing the dining area
Kotamba's garden looking out over the beach
Kahumba's front verandah
Kahumba's dining area looking out onto the garden
Kahumba's inside/outside private bathroom
Kahumba's loungers in the garden
Kotamba from the beach
The dining pergola at Kotamba
Side view of Kotamba
Kotamba's dining area
Kotamba's kitchen in local Sri Lanka polished plaster
Kahumba from the beach
Kahumba's living room and dining area
Dining in the garden by the sea
Kahumba's gate to the beach
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM