About the property
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay0 - 7 nights
House, 3 Bedrooms + Other (See Description), 2 Baths, (Sleeps 6-7)
An unsurpassed view of the Eggemogin Reach, 780 feet of private waterfront, and 13 pristine acres of meadow and forest make this property unique. The water view is brought inside by large glass sliding doors and multiple windows and by a deck convenient for sunning, relaxing, dining and hanging out.
Fireplace with marble hearth, wood floors, open floor plan and tasteful decor exude warmth and comfort. Relax on deck, ledges or beach area. Enjoy time with friends and family as this house has beds for 6 yet is cozy enough for just 2. Boathouse near the water.
Three sisters own the Saltwater Paradise, which we inherited from our parents. We are very proud of the property and have tried to maintain it as well as our parents did.
Little Deer Isle, part of the town of Deer Isle, runs 3 miles long, generally east and west, forming the southern boundary of Eggemogin Reach. It is connected to the mainland by the Deer Isle - Sedgwick bridge.
Keywords: Waterfront House
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one day
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 03, 2018
Marian, Nancy and Pat, 3 sisters are we. We inherited our property from our parents and strive to keep it up as well as our parents did. We share tasks: Marian does the paper work, Pat does the phoning and Nancy and her husband Roger take care of the property.
Owner purchased this House in 2000
What makes this House unique
It is a serenely beautiful and private location on the water. Ideal for a restful vacation or for the adventurous. House is comfortable and well equipped.
Sports & Adventure Activities
Peace and quiet
We stayed in the house last summer after spending many vacations on Little Deer Isle. The house sits on a large lot with beautiful frontage on Eggomogin Reach. The view from the porch is unsurpassed and it is so quiet that it takes some getting used to for a city dweller. It is also relatively easy to get in the water and we were able to keep kayaks in the shed on the beach. The house is well equipped and comfortable and it is a few minute walk to Pumpkin Light.
A wonderful spot to return to
We returned to this property in the summer of 2014 and will visit again in 2015. The kids had a wonderful time visiting old haunts and finding new ones. We brought an inflatable raft and inner tube with us and had fun paddling in the calm water in front of the house. The house was clean and fresh - just as we had expected it to be. I appreciated very much that the one thing I had mentioned to the owners as a minor concern from the previous year was fixed. We also discovered a fantastic new pizza place in Brooksville - the Tinder Hearth. All around good fun, and we are returning again in 2015. Looking forward to it!
Restful family vacation spot
We just returned from a week at this very special house. It was perfect for our family of 4 (including kids ages 8 and 4). The house was comfortable and a great size, clean, and had beautiful views of the water. But what's really special about this place is the property. The coastline is varied and intriguing and changes with every tide. If you have kids who love to explore outside, this is a fantastic spot.
A few tips/comments specifically for families with young kids:
- The rocks down by the water are a lovely place to hang out, but the deck and yard are also nice places to play and offer some variety for the times when you can't be supervising the kids down by the water (e.g. making dinner).
- It helped us to bring enough food to last through the first day, then we went shopping and bought a carefully-planned list of supplies to last the rest of the week. The closest large market is about 20-25 minutes away, so plan accordingly. The minute you get there no one will want to leave to do anything so mundane as grocery shopping!
- The water was very calm and cold, but swimmable, in August. Next time we will bring some inflatable inner tubes or rafts to do a little floating on the water.
- Favorite activities: exploring the rocks, shell collecting, skipping stones (the rocks there are shale and very flat), finding ocean creatures (crabs, sea urchins), collecting mussels and cooking them for dinner, swimming
- You will definitely need water shoes for wading in the water due to barnacles and sea urchins. Also, we dressed the 4-year-old in floaties down by the water for peace of mind in case she fell in. It's mostly shallow, but still good to be cautious.
- The TV is hidden away in a cupboard, which for us was a plus. The kids never even mentioned it all week, so it never came out.
- Having a washer/dryer was really nice - we packed light and did a laundry midweek.
- We had a couple of very nice dinners out. One at El El Frijoles (surprisingly good Mexican style food) and a fancier dinner at the Whale's Rib. Whale's Rib has a bocce court on the side which was a nice way to wrap up our meal, or to do if you are waiting for a table (best to make a reservation).
- Really enjoyed a trip to Nervous Nellie's Jams and Jellies. The kids could have stayed all afternoon playing in the sculpture area.
Peace and Tranquility
My sisters and I, five of us, have an annual sister trip. I discovered this lovely home away from home for this summer's trip. It was a perfect setting for the five of us, all who love nature. The three charming bedrooms provided us with ample space to spread out. The two bathrooms were perfect for five women who used to fight over one bathroom when we growing up. The house is beautifully maintained, clean and well-stocked with supplies. Since the five of us love to read, the bookcases were a wonderful find, filled with books. The various lamps throughout the house allowed us to read to our heart's content. We did go to Acadia National Park, which is a must for those who have never been. Pat, one of the owners, is most helpful in answering questions re: the house and the suroounding area. A certain peace comes over one upon entering this wonderful house overlooking the water. Any stress, magically disipates upon arrival. The only negative is that our trip was too short!
A peaceful, relaxing get-away.......
We loved this house. It was cozy and very comfortable. I haven't slept that well in a long time. The house is charming and the view of the water was very peaceful. Pat, the owner, was extremely helpful and informative before we went and made sure everything was in order.
We explored the surrounding area......Blue Hill, Stonington, Brooklin and Castine. Good restaurants, interesting shops and galleries nearby, and just an all around great experience.
I would recommend this house for people who go to Maine to enjoy the peace and quiet, the amazing scenery and the relaxing pace. A very welcoming experience!
I'm so glad you had a nice time. That makes me happy. Pat
We have vacationed in Maine, Down East and Mid Coast, for 16 years. This is the best-equipped cottage we have rented. Everything from pots and skillet to linens and paper products is quality. I especially appreciate the ample reading lights. The owners have thought of everything to ensure a pleasant stay. We felt like valued guests.
Whether watching windjammers on the Reach, deer in the meadow, or butterflies and fireflies, the quiet is heavenly, broken only by the long song of a winter wren.
The location is ideal for trips to Isle au Haut, Mt. Desert, Schoodic, Cape Rosier and Castine. The Bagaduce Lunch is worth a detour to Brooksville. Much closer, L.L. Frijoles has authentic Mexican for eat-in or take-out.
This was our third visit. We hope to return.
I'm so happy you enjoyed yourselves. That really makes me happy because I love the place so much.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
1. Check in time is Saturday at 4:00 pm and check out time is Saturday at 10:00 am to allow cleaning helpers to get ready for new guests. 2. Tenant will be responsible for all damage done to the Leased Premises resulting from his/her occupancy and use. The Tenant shall leave the premises and furnishings in good and original order, normal wear and tear excepted. Tenant shall notify Landlord of any damage or breakage. The amount of any such damage will be deducted from the security deposit. 3. All property of the Tenant and those residing at the Leased Premises under the auspices of the Tenant, shall be kept at the Leased Premises at the risk of the owner thereof, except to the extent that any such loss or damage is the direct result of Landlord’s negligence. 4. Tenant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Landlord for any loss, damages, claims, demands, suits, judgments and liability (hereinafter referred to as “Loss”) to which Landlord may be put arising by reason of any injury or death to persons or property or any claim on account thereof resulting from Tenant’s use of the Leased Premises, except to the extent that the Loss is the direct result of Landlord’s negligence. Tenant agrees and understands that all water related activities of Tenant, Tenant's family and Tenant's guests, including without limitation, swimming and boating, are done at Tenant's sole risk. 5. The Tenant understands and agrees that there shall be no smoking in the Leased Premises.