Villa Cottage with Gardens & Panoramic Views - Near Florence/Siena/Arezzo(18 Reviews)
The manager has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:4-7 nights
- Property type:Farmhouse
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
Designer barn conversion in Chianti Putto area - 3 Bedrooms + 2 Baths
The FIENILE is an independent cottage on private villa property with resident owners.This historic, agricultural structure was converted in 2006 to comprise 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a large kitchen (with table seating up to 8), a living room and a sunny enclosed veranda with panoramic views over the Chianti hills. It boasts designer appointments, traditional architectural features, and an extremely convenient location: only 30 to 45 minutes away from Florence, Siena and Arezzo - as well as most points of interest in central Italy. The Fienile at il Poggiolo is available for short lets, longer vacations and sabbatical stays. Min. stay 3 nights, discounted rates as of 6 nights - please inquire!
The Fienile provides all the benefits of the countryside to rest and relax after a day of tourism. Don't miss wine-tasting tours in the area, trekking in the hills, local markets and outlet shopping. The Fienile is a real home-away-from-home to come back to with the fresh pasta and local greens bought in the market, and a bottle of Tuscan wine. Skype with your friends about your day in Tuscany and turn your computer around to show them the view of the hills, crowned by the medieval tower of Galatrona.
- UPSTAIRS are two bedrooms (can be either doubles or twins) and a bathroom with a 90x90cm shower (and a view)! The bedrooms are furnished in Tuscan style and have beamed ceilings with terracotta appointments. The upstairs windows frame views onto the Chianti hills and Valley of the Arno. Even the stairway has a panoramic vista. All bedroom, bath and veranda windows have screens. Banister and child gate on stairs. The house is cool in summer due to its insulated walls, and for extra comfort there are fans in every room.
- DOWNSTAIRS is a third bedroom/study and the second bathroom. The entire ground floor has beamed ceilings with antique brickwork and respects the decorative tradition of Tuscan country homes with modern touches. This floor also hosts a panoramic enclosed veranda with a 180° view onto the Chianti hills. Furnished with cushioned benches and wicker armchairs, it is a peaceful place to read, write, skype or share a bottle of Prosecco. The ground floor sitting room features a SatTV-DVD and a lending library of guidebooks and recreational reading. The fully equipped kitchen with table and seating up to 8 features polished granite counter tops and chestnut wood cabinetry. All modern appliances (microwave, electric oven, 5-range gas burner stove, dishwasher and fridge/freezer), clothes washing machine and clothes drying racks (iron & ironing board). Guests will also find entertainment amenities (satellite TV & DVD & Wi-Fi), as well as many other conveniences not listed here.
The Fienile has TWO garden areas with chairs, tables, sun umbrella and lounge chairs from which to admire the views. From Il Poggiolo you can see the Valdarno valley, the Apennine mountains, the Sienese hills, and on a good day, all the way to Vallombrosa. Both the small patio area off the veranda and the larger garden on the other side of the house are set up for al fresco dining. Patio and garden are perfect for watching dramatic sunsets behind the medieval tower of Galatrona, and stargazing in the limpid evenings. In August there are many falling stars!
PRIVATE PARKING on the property.
NO PETS & NO SMOKING (inside) please - allergy controlled environment !
Guests appreciate the fact that Il Poggiolo is located in the tranquility of the countryside but conveniently close to Florence, Siena, and Arezzo (30-45 minutes drive), as well as the major other sites of interest. While a car is necessary for your stay, the center of Florence can be reached by train from Montevarchi (free long-term parking) in just 35 minutes, as well as a number of other destinations such as Arezzo, Pisa, Assisi, Cortona, Orvieto, etc.. Nearby are historic sites (medieval and Renaissance towns, towers and castles). There are also picturesque villages, national parks, thermal baths and, a bit farther, seaside beaches. Swimming nearby in a number of local pools (10-15 minutes drive - pool/beach towels provided). Excellent wine and fine restaurants in the area, as well as informal village trattorias and pizzerias. Numerous designer outlets in the area for clothes, shoes, household items, etc. Wonderful food markets with local produce. Perfect for day trips to all the historic attractions of Tuscany, for sports enthusiasts, for gastronomic tourism, for family vacations, or just to get away from it all.
Convenient location for tourism and good train service if you do not feel like driving.
Comfortable and spacious accommodation with luxury appointments, fine antiques, and modern designer touches.
Gardens (furnished for dining and lounging) with lovely views.
Country walks and trekking (from gentle sloping dirt roads through vineyards to serious mountain trails through forests)
Local markets for local produce (especially vegetables and fruit, wine and olive oil).
Marvelous eating - from pizza parlours to five-star restaurants.
Major designer outlets and malls.
Private parking area on the property.
Extensively equipped kitchen
WI-FI, SatTV, DVD
Recreational reading library and guide books, maps.
Child gate on stairs
Fans provided in summer
Screens on all windows.
KEYWORDS: Tuscany, Villa rental, Tuscan tourism, Short Lets, , Sabbaticals, gastronomy, slow food region, luxury appointments, holiday home, vacation in Italy, furnished gardens, panoramic views, allergy-sensitive.
Member since: 2007
- 130 m²
- Max. occupancy 6
- Events Allowed
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Low Allergen Environment
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, Beds for 5-6
- Accommodates 6 adults + 1 child, an extra crib or child bed can be added into either the Master or Twin bedroom. UPSTAIRS: King-size bed in Master bedroom (1) can be divided into Twin beds. Twin beds in bedroom (2) can be combined into a King-size bed upon prior notice. DOWNSTAIRS: One or two twin beds in study/bedroom (3) + ensuite bathroom. Please note that the two beds in this bathroom cannot be joined into a double bed. . Bed linens and cozy covers provided. Lots of pillows (allergy-free). VIEWS from bedrooms over Tuscan hill ranges: Apennines from Master bedroom (1). Chianti hills from upstairs twin bedroom (2). Garden from downstairs bedroom (3). Furnished with antiques and traditional Tuscan furniture. Fans for summer, warm (anti-allergic) quilts and in-floor heating for winter (charged at cost-independent meter). Screens on windows, child gate at top of stairs, hand rail on stairs....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Il Poggiolo is located on a hilltop with 360° views onto the Valdarno, the Apennine mountains and the Chianti hills. If you get tired of driving, park the car at the Montevarchi nearest train station (6 km) and take the train - a quick and easy trip to places such as Florence, Arezzo, Cortona, Assisi, Perugia, etc. The owners live on-site, and are available for travel tips and restaurant suggestions (they commute to work in Florence). Recreational reading library includes guidebooks, cookbooks, DVD library, books for children. Beautifully furnished and comfortable rooms with those small details that make you feel you are staying in a real home. ...moreless
- Books For Adults
- Books For Kids
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Botanical Garden
- Duty Free Shops
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Mountain View
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Mountain Biking
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Seating for 7 people
- Basic Soaps
- Bottled Water
- Ceiling Fans
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Paper Towels
- Parking Off Street:
- Sofa Bed
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Wireless Internet:
- Catering Available:
- Coffee Maker:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Beach Towels
Deck / Patio:
Two sitting areas outside with chairs, tables, umbrellas and views of the Tuscany hills. One has morning sun, the other afternoon/evening sun. Views of the Tuscan hills and a medieval tower....moreless
- Lawn / Garden:
- Housekeeper Optional
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Mar 15 - Nov 6, 2017
4 night min stay
Rates are based on 5 guests; add $27 per night, per additional guest
My Standard Rate
7 night min stay
Rates are based on 5 guests; add $27 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $217.63
Municipal Visitor Tax (Comune di Bucine) of €1.50/adult/night for first 4 nights (=total €6/adult) payable on arrival.
DISCOUNTS: Fienile for two guests only: 10% discount. Take both the Casa Colonica and the Fienile Villa Cottage simultaneously for a family reunion or a group of friends (= 5 bedrooms 3 baths) : 5% discount !!
01 Nov .through 15 April : GPL heating charged at cost (individual meter) = c.€4.00 per cubic mt.
Manager's cancellation policy:
100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
A panoramic country retreat conveniently located in the center of Tuscany in the midst of vineyards and olive groves, provides easy access to numerous sites of interest, from Medieval & Renaissance towns (Florence, Siena, Arezzo) to picturesque Castles, Monasteries and Hamlets. There are numerous markets with local produce & fine wines, handbags and clothing. Many privately managed & municipal pools in area. Thermal Spas 30-45 min. drive. Easy country walks at your doorstep, serious trekking trails in nearby hills. Designer outlets in the area (VAT tax rebates for non EU citizens). Cooking classes, painting lessons, bike rental and winery tours are some of the favorite activities after cultural tourism. There is something to do for visitors of all ages and interests. In the morning and evening you will see the roebuck deer in the fields around the house :-)
Year Purchased: 1994
About: In 1994 Allen and I bought the property we had been renting for over 10 years. We are both Renaissance historians, working for American university centers in Florence, where we commute to work. The reasons why we ended up in Tuscany - on a hilltop in the Valdarno - are totally serendipitous, and entirely too long to go into here. But we did it, and lived in happy nonchalance, raising our daughter and commuting to work in Florence until the economic crunch began to make itself felt. In 2005 we had the belated realization that this property had better help maintain itself, otherwise we would find it very difficult to keep up the land and buildings after we retired. I keep buying lottery tickets with blind faith, but in the meantime we bit the bullet, hocked our souls to the bank in Montevarchi, and decided to carry out a dream: to restore and convert the villa’s barn into a rental cottage. The idea was that holiday rentals would help with the mortgage, garden maintenance, and miscellaneous upkeep until – when we are well into our dotage – we downsize and move into the converted barn ourselves. Read the first installment of the saga about this renovation process on the 'Wandering Educators' site (under 'Barn conversion')
Why Bucine, Arezzo, Italy:
Tuscany is not only a tourist mecca, but the climate is better than Paris and London (where we had been living before), and Florence is within an easy commute, so it is possible to live in the countryside and work in the city. The people in the area are wonderful. In fact, the Tuscans are the main reason why my husband and I opted to stay in Italy, to buy the family villa, and make a life here. The 'Fienile' was originally one of the agricultural outbuildings (a barn) in which we used to park the tractor and the car, store tools, and hang laundry. It has become a charming dwelling, where we plan to retire one day. In the meantime, we have had marvelous guests.
The Unique Benefits at this Farmhouse:
N° 4 TRAVEL BENEFITS ..... 1. PERFECT LOCATION: Il Poggiolo is within easy reach of the major Tuscan sites of interest, ideal for day trips. At the same time you have the calm of the countryside and vibrant sunsets over the Chianti hills. For both gastronomy and shopping, the Valdarno offers excellent wineries and restaurants as well as a number of designer outlets (the Prada outlet 'SPACE' is a 5 minute drive from Il Poggiolo). 2. LUXURY OF SPACE : The Fienile has the advantage of spacious quarters and far many more rooms than are usual with vacation rentals. This can make all the difference when travelling with a group of friends or family, and the two gardens also offer the possibility of sunning in lounge chairs, reading in the shade of the Sofora tree, or dining al fresco. 3 OUTFITTED LIKE A REAL HOME: The Fienile is a real home, with all the conveniences and more beside. There is free parking on site (but you do not need to look at your car - only the view!), the gardens are comfortably furnished, inside there is a a large flatscreen SAT-TV, DVD player, and fast WI-FI, In the kitchen you will find the necessary equipment to make a cake or pie, or roast that free-range chicken you picked up in the market. Bedrooms have extra pillows, and cozy blankets and quilts for cool nights. If anything is missing, please let us know !! 4. EXPERIENCE of LOCAL HOSTS: You have someone next-door who can give advice about restaurants and places to see that are off the usual tourist itinerary. You will not see your hosts unless you need them, but having someone on hand to help with the details of a stay or an emergency can be a blessing.
Links to more information:
An historic barn, a medern conversion. Sun and shade in garden all day long.
Aerial view of the Fienile before trellace was put on wall and gravel extended.
Living room view through kitchen into veranda
Kitchen has dishwasher and washing machine hidden behind chestnut cabinetry.
Study/3rd bedroom. The daybed is a real bed, and another bed can be added.
Veranda doors lead out to a walled-in patio with iron gate .
Downstairs bathroom and stall shower.
Gate on stairs can be closed should there be small children or sleep-walkers!
Twin bedroom - beds can be joined to make a kingsize double.
Detail upstairs bathroom
View from Fienile patio, the gate makes sure toddlers don't stray
Flowers abound !
Il Poggiolo in evening light. Fienile on right, Casa Colonica (sleeps4+1)on left
Living room with stone stairs and arched door/windows onto garden.
15th-century columns flank archway leading to kitchen.
Kitchen is well equipped with table ware and cooking utesils
Study/3rd bedroom and shelves with guidebooks.
Veranda with panoramic windows onto Chianti hills (here whited out by sunlight)
Landing on stairs to top floor with bannister.
Kingsize bed in Master bedroom
Upstairs bathroom - with a view!
Il Poggiolo - park your car below the garden for an unobstructed view!
View of Chianti hills from Fienile patio
Landmark stone at the entrance to Il Poggiolo.
This listing was first published here in 2007.
Date last modified - Friday, March 24, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to manager
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.