Romantic European Cottage - Private Floral Garden-Pet Friendly-Incredible Nature(62 Reviews)
The manager has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:Cottage
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
About the Property
Cozy cottage, 1bedroom,1bathroom, Sleeps 4, close to famous Painted Hills Wonder
This charming cottage is the perfect base to explore the Painted Hills around the corner and the other units of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. The Painted Hills are located 9 miles from Mitchell. Sheep Rock is about 38 miles and houses the monument's visitor center as well as the Thomas Condon Paleontology museum with its large collection of ancient fossils. The Clarno unit is close to Fossil, about an hour drive from Mitchell. Another one of the 7 wonders of Oregon- the awesome Smith Rock is about 1.5 hours away. All routes are on "the Journey through Time" scenic byway and the drives pass through spectacular diverse landscapes with magnificent views around every bend of the road. There is an abundance of outdoor recreation like hiking, fishing, bird and wild life watching, swimming or rafting the John Day River and hunting for fossils. It's possible to dig your own fossils in the Wheeler High School Fossil Beds for a small fee.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Verify your payment method
Member since: 2007
- 550 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 4
- Children Welcome
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
- Here at the Hollyhock Guest House you will sleep peacefully to wake up rested and energized, ready for a great day of adventure. The house has one cozy bedroom with lots of light and a wonderful view into the lush garden. From the bedroom you can step right into the garden to have your morning coffee and adore the many flowers growing all around the house. The queen size bed has a high quality mattress and an European style down comforter. Two more adults or children can be comfortably accommodated in the living room on a brand new Ikea sofa that folds out into a queen size bed. Extra sleeping possibilities can be arranged in the remodeled barn....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- The Hollyhock Guest House is located in the historical town of Mitchell which features 3 American style restaurants, a gas station and a general store with limited selections. There is no cell phone reception in this mountainous region but we provide phone cards at a $5 fee for your convenience.The nearest airport is Robert Fields in Redmond, about 1.5 hours away by car. The closest bigger town is Prineville, a 45 minute drive, which has various supermarkets, restaurants, golf courses, antique stores etc. The Hollyhock Guest house also offers access to a washer and dryer with detergent supplied. A separate office bunkhouse is set up for internet service( laptop required). Please let us know ahead if you require internet service ! Pets from responsible owners are welcome with a $10 pet fee per day. Smoking is possible on the porch and in the garden but not indoors. Most places of interest are reached through spectacular scenic drives and are within a radius of 10 to 50 miles....moreless
- Audio Tape Player
- Books For Adults
- DVD Player
The barn room is common area for guests of both cottages and is available to play games, make a fire in the wood stove on cold days, or just hang out. Board games and books available. Firewood is $10...moreless
- Games For Kids
- Video Library:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
Local Services & Businesses
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Paddle Boating
- Scenic Drives
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Whitewater Rafting
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided
- Local Activities Guide
- Paper Towels
- Parking On Street
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker:
- Cooking Utensils
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Porch / Veranda:
- Unscreened Porch / Veranda
- Housekeeper Optional
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Mar 17 - Oct 31, 2017
2 night min stay
Fri, Sat, Sun
Rates are based on 3 guests; add $25 per night, per additional guest
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Cleaning $65 + tax
- city tax $4
- Pet Fee $40 + tax
- Tax Rate 3%
$105-145 per night without fees and taxes. 2 nights minimum. $2 room tax/ night.
A cleaning fee of $60,00 is charged for a stay of 1-2 people for up to a week.
Additional $20 for any additional guests.Free Wifi
Pet fee: $15/day/pet with owners approval.
$15/night/ extra guest
No smoking in cottage!
1% Oregon lodging tax on final rate.
Firewood is available for $10/day.
Free Wireless internet
Manager's cancellation policy:
Policy available by contacting manager when booking
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
This spectacular region of Eastern Oregon invites you to explore the spectacular Eastern Oregon landscape with awe inspiring vistas at every turn. High desert, river basins, ancient rock formations, and national parks - This is the home of the famous Painted Hills, Clarno Rock Formations, the Ochoco mountains, the John Day river, and the Sutton Mountain Wilderness! Visit the Thomas Condon Paleontology Museum to get a glimpse of the 50 million year old history of this region. Go fishing or take a scenic boat trip down the wild John Day River, one of the longest undammed rivers of the USA. Hike on hidden trails into the wilderness to experience the breathtaking beauty of Mother Nature.See antelopes, deer, coyotes, rare birds, and butterflies. Enjoy the deep silence of the nights with the milky way stretching out above you and watch the occasional meteor shower. There is beauty and serenity to be found here in every season !
Come and discover the wild Beauty of Eastern Oregon!
Other Activities: fossil hunting, wilderness photography, cross country skiing
Ski: The Ochoco National Park, about 20 minutes from Mitchell by car, has various snow parks with great cross~ country skiing possibilities, as well as sledging for the kids. Bring your snow-mobile!
Year Purchased: 1997
About: My mother Barb and I started this business in 2008 and have enjoyed it ever since. We're originally from Germany and lived for a long time in Seattle were my family ran a European restaurant in the famous Pike Place Market for 10 years. After we sold the restaurant in 2000, I went on to study herbal medicine at Bastyr University in Seattle. Here in Eastern Oregon I enjoy gardening and growing herbs, hiking,landscape photography and taking care of our guests.
Why Mitchell, OR, USA:
My parents travelled quite a bit in the States and fell in love with Eastern Oregon. Both are artists and appreciated the amazing landscapes in this area with the breathtaking views around each corner. The Painted Hills especially caught their eye and so they decided to buy the properties in MItchell just 9 miles away from the national monument. A few years later, we bought the property out on Burnt Ranch Rd. about 7 miles beyond the Painted Hills. Because we couldn't part with the cottage and the little guesthouse, we decided to create the Painted Hills Vacation Rentals so we could share the beauty of this area with many more travelers to this area. We have never regretted it and have made many new friends with our guests, many of them coming since years now.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
Incredible nature in all directions, close to the Painted Hills - one of the 7 Wonders of Oregon - and close to the other 2 units of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, Clarno and Sheep Rock. Smith Rock , another one of the 7 Wonders of Oregon is just 1.5 hours away. All places of interest are reached by the Scenic Byway ' The Journey through Time' Biking, hiking, wildlife watching, rafting, wilderness experiencing, swimming in the John Day River, fishing, fossil hunting,exceptional landscape photography, retreat to heal and rejuvenate, stargazing, meteor showers, country life, country-festivals, rodeos, Thomas Condon Paleontology museum, fossil hunting, close to Ochoco National Forest, COME and discover the wild Beauty of Eastern Oregon for yourself!!
- Primary: +1 5414623921 Leave a message if no one is home.
Links to more information:
Painted Hills Vacation Rental
Cozy Bedroom- Sweet Dreams!
The Barn/Game Room with Ironcast Woodstove
April Garden with tender vibrant Greens
Mitchell from above in March
In the Painted Hills
Cathedral Rock and the John Day River
Driving through the wild Beauty of Eastern Oregon
Hiking in the Blue Basin
In the Garden of the Hollyhock Guest House
Beauty everywhere you look in the Magical Garden
On the porch
Living room and kitchen
May in the back garden
Lilacs and Crabapple in Full Bloom
The Road through Mitchell
The spectacular Painted Hills
On the way to the Painted Hills
Stormy Weather in the Painted Hills
Hiking near Sheeprock
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to manager
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.