The name of Monticchiello first appears in an official document in 973; Marquis Lamberto Aldobrandeschi gave it to the Arniatina Abbey in guarantee of a large loan. In following years Monticchiello became the property of the Roman church, in particular of the Teutonic Order of Knights, a company used to armed combat thus being well suited to the occupation of a border territory; they were in power until 1230.
Later the Val d'Orcia was to be involved in various disputes leading to a war between the Siennese and the Florentines. The cause of the war was the claim to ownership of the 'Cassero' (fortified castle keep) of Montepulciano made by both Siena and Florence. Monticchiello itself sided with Siena, which in turn took an active part in castle life and local government.
The original building dates back to 1829 and the structure has remained unaltered since; the interiors have recently been restored to provide modern comforts and conveniences whilst maintaining the original rich architectural style. 'Case Maribelle' is situated in the old town centre of Montichiello, in what was once known as the 'Garden of Montichiello', close both to the town walls and the Piazza del Teatro.
Apartment is fully furnished including Tuscan antiques from the 17th and 18th century.
Maribelle is floored with the original terracotta tiles, the apartment has features in Siennese travertine marble, has concealed lighting and is furnished with solid walnut antiques.
Apartment has independent gas central heating and newly installed water and electrical systems.