Barn (for 5+2), Stables (for 7+2), Bee House (for 2) - The Ancient BarnMultiple rentals available (3 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2-3 nights
- Property type:Barn
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
The Ancient Barn: England Vacation Rental by Owner Listing 1710ha
This Grade II listed medieval cruck barn was built around the year 1390 and was converted in 1995 to provide a very comfortable, unusual and very special holiday home.
Every care has been taken to preserve its original features. There is a lofty living/dining/kitchen area with a wealth of old beams, a flagstone floor (with underfloor heating) and double doors leading to a paved terrace with table and chairs. Upstairs there is a heavily beamed bedroom with two single beds + folding guest bed. Downstairs there is a double bedroom with a magnificent king-sized antique brass bed, and the bathroom (with cubicle shower) is next door. There is constant hot water and full central heating.
Across a yard is The Old Stables - sleeping 8 - that has a dining table for 14.
You can also rent a medieval Bee House in conjunction with the Ancient Barn. A few yards away, it has a double bed-room and ensuite shower room but no kitchen.
About the Property
Beautifully converted, listed properties surrounded by countryside.
The accommodation: : The Ancient Barn, The Old Stables and the Bee House are situated between an old farmhouse and a small working farmyard (cattle and sheep) so there may be some normal farming activity at certain times of year. Our guests have never found this to be a problem but if you do not enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of a farmyard then this is not the place for you! All three buildings are comfortable at all seasons - warm in winter, cool in summer, and provide an ideal base for touring this fascinating part of the west of England.
We keep free range chickens which children are welcome to visit and to feed. We sell eggs and seasonal veg.
Throughout the year... : Somerset has lots to offer: historic sites such as Glastonbury Tor and Cadbury Camp (also known as Camelot - a hill fort made famous by King Arthur), ruined Castles and Abbeys, delightful country pubs offering delicious meals made from local produce, National Trust houses and famous gardens. For those who enjoy shopping there are numerous antique and craft shops in the area and Clarks Shopping Village is a short drive away at Street. This is a very special place in an area of England that as yet has hardly been touched by tourism. The countryside is pretty, the pace of life is gentle and the local people are friendly and helpful. Many of our guests return again and again to this lovely part of the world.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2000
1 Other available rentals on this property
There are no other rentals available on this property that meet your search criteria. Please update your search criteria or try another property.
There are no other rentals available on this property for your dates:
1-5 of 1
Additional information about rental rates:
- Max. occupancy 5
- Children Welcome
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5, Beds for 4-5
- Our beds are really comfortable - memory foam on the 2 single beds and new quality interior sprung on the double bed. Both bedrooms have fitted carpets and radiators provide the central heating which can be controlled by our guests. The upstairs bedroom has a sloping ceiling and beams so there is slightly restricted headroom in places. This room has a chair/mattress for an extra guest. Although this property has no mobility rating it can be accessed by a wheelchair user - just. There is a travel cot that can be put anywhere in this property. Bedlinen is provided - and also nice big towels....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- The double bedroom and bathroom are on the ground floor. The bedroom upstairs sleeps two, but there is a floor mattress for a third person. The property has a south-facing enclosed terrace (garden furniture provided), which overlooks open countryside. Nearby the Bee house can also be rented providing an extra double bedroom and shower room. Many of our guests return again and again to this property. We have BT Broadband WiFi available - bring your own laptop. ...moreless
- Books For Adults
- Books For Kids
- DVD Player
- Away From It All
- Autumn Foliage
Local Services & Businesses
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Freshwater Fishing
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Seating for 6 people
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Parking Off Street
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Wireless Internet:
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Maker:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Deck / Patio:
Castle Cary is in South-East Somerset and the properties are in the countryside next to a small working farm yet less than two miles from town. There is a main line railway station at Castle Cary with fast trains to London. The area is very pretty and almost untouched by tourism.
Golf: There is an 18 hole public golf course at Wheathill - about a 10 minute drive away and another at Yeovil - about a 20 minute drive away.
Year Purchased: 1995
- Primary: +44 01963351288 Please leave a message on the Answerphone
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
The Barn & Stables from across the fields
The Dining area in The Ancient Barn
Part of the living room in the Ancient Barn
Beams in the Ancient Barn
Upstairs in the Ancient Barn
The Old Stables sitting room
Bedroom 3 has 3 single beds in it
Kitchen area in The Old Stables
Interior of the Bee House (can sleep 2)
Castle Cary's 18th century lock-up
View from the patio of The Ancient Barn in Winter
The Ancient Barn
Looking down from the gallery in The Ancient Barn
The Ancient Barn living room
The main bedroom in The Ancient Barn
Shower room in The Ancient Barn
The Stable's entrance in its garden
The Old Stables dining area
The Bee House
Castle Cary's Market House
A nature reserve - a short walk away
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.