Classic, Quiet 1BR - Buda, Near Castle, Danube, Chain Bridge(21 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:Condo
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
1 Bedroom + Convertible bed(s), 1 Bath (Sleeps 4)
The apartment is located in classic early-20th century buildings (think central courtyards, 12-foot high ceilings, and timeless architecture). One thing we love most about Budapest is its abundance of unique architectural details, which is why we’ve kept everything intact as much as possible (while also making the apartment comfortable by modern standards). So you’ll find original hardwood floors; original doors, windows, and woodwork; and very high ceilings! We invite you to come for a stay, take advantage of our carefully curated tips, and make yourself comfortable in our favorite Budapest neighborhood!
• Small library of Hungarian travel, food, and wine books
• Honesty “mini bar”, fully-stocked with some of our favorite wines from around Hungary to ensure that you drink well.
• Recommended for two guests (or a family with two children)
• Located on the second floor (which translates as the third floor for Americans!)
• Building has NO elevator (the stairs make for some great exercise, but are not suitable for those with walking difficulties!
What The Apartment Doesn’t Have:
• A TV! We thought it would just be a distraction from the task at hand: getting to know Budapest.
• Air-conditioning (very few buildings in Budapest do). However, we have found that due to the thick brick walls in the buildings, air-conditioning is not missed and the buildings remain at a constant comfortable temperature.
Member since: 2008
- On floor 2
- 53 m²
- Max. occupancy 4
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Unsuitable For Elderly Or Infirm
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- Bathroom contains an antique claw-foot tub.
- The apartment is completely fitted to provide everything necessary for your stay. If you need anything not listed, or any additional cooking supplies, please let us know and we will do our best to provide it. • Prices are all-inclusive! There are no cleaning fees or other charges (unless you take advantage of the wine selection in the “mini bar”)! • We offer self check-in (the keys are left in a lockbox outside the apartment) for your convenience. That way we don’t need to arrange a meeting time to handover the keys. The check-in and check-out time can be flexible (unless we have other guests arriving or departing)....moreless
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Ice Skating
- Dining Area
- Seating for 4 people
- Activities Guide
- Alarm Clock
- Basic Soaps
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Apr 6 - Oct 3, 2018
2 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $10 per night, per additional guest
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Taxes Not included
PRICES ARE ALL-INCLUSIVE; NO CLEANING FEES OR OTHER CHARGES!
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Car: Not Necessary
THE VÍZIVÁROS NEIGHBORHOOD
There are so many things we love about this neighborhood. First of all, LOCATION. LOCATION. LOCATION! The apartment is centrally located in Buda in one of the city’s oldest and most charming neighborhoods. Next to the Danube and under the Castle, the neighborhood has its roots in the fishermen and fishmongers who once worked here and many streets are named for fish themes. The best way to explore the neighborhood is to wander around and find some of the many romantic staircases heading up in the direction of the Castle. The busier Pest streets are just a short hop away on the metro, or a nice walk across one of the bridges.
Public Transportation Options: Batthyany tér (a 10-minute walk) is a transportation hub, so the neighborhood is well-served by public transportation including the M2 metro line, many buses, trams 19 and 41, and even a few ferries (which are part of the city’s excellent public transportation system).
• Despite the excellent public transport options, we recommend doing as much walking as possible, and this is a great neighborhood for it! If you love to walk, we recommend getting over to the Pest side by walking across the Chain Bridge. Crossing these bridges on foot (especially if it’s a beautiful evening) is an unforgettable Budapest experience. Taking a stroll along the Danube bank is also a great way to take in the city.
• At least half a day can be allotted for exploring the Castle District, which is just uphill from the apartment. The neighborhood is full of hidden narrow staircases leading up there, or you can take the dramatic main staircase underneath the Fisherman’s Bastion. To save your feet, there’s also a funicular at the foot of the Chain Bridge, which takes you up to the Royal Palace (where the National Gallery of Art and other museums are located). There’s a lot to see up here, and plenty of good restaurants. The newly restored Várkert Bazar, a neo-Renaissance building complex underneath the castle, has recently re-opened and has added another dimension to the neighborhood. The gorgeous place (originally built between 1875 and 1883) starts on the hill underneath the castle at the Buda riverfront, and goes up to the Royal Palace. It holds many gorgeous gardens, places to get great views of Pest, and cultural exhibitions.
• We love that the Danube River, which divides the city into two distinct halves, is so close. The river, which runs through the center of Budapest, is lined with beautiful 19th and 20th century buildings and is really the soul of the city. The apartment is ideally located for taking strolls along the river promenade. There’s also a city bike rental program, with a location at Batthyány ter, if you’d prefer to bike it.
• Margit Island’s close proximity is another thing that makes this neighborhood a great place to live. This Danube Island lies between Margit Bridge and Árpád Bridge, and is a beautiful park where cars are prohibited. You could spend a whole day here and not run out of things to do. There’s a padded 5 kilometer jogging path encircling the island, on which joggers sometimes encounter exotic birds who hopped the fence of the island’s small zoo. There are two large swimming pool complexes here and many secluded places on the island which are perfect to relax with a picnic lunch, and the musical fountain near the entrance is a big hit. During the summer there’s an open-air theater, and new open-air bars are always popping up.
• Visiting a thermal bathhouse is a must! There are several in central Buda, within walking distance of the apartments, each with its own unique character. The city’s best Turkish bathhouses, which are more than 400 years old, are the Király Baths (a very short walk from the Furmint Apartment) and the Rudas Baths (about a 20-minute walk from the Kadarka Apartment). The Lukács Baths are also nearby, and have a very different character. These places all have several saunas, steam rooms, and pools of varying temperatures.
• Quiet Várfok utca is where some of the first private art galleries opened after the fall of Communism. There are a handful of nice galleries here, which have played important roles in the modern contemporary art scene over the past nearly 3 decades.
• There are numerous good restaurants and cafés in the area, ranging from cozy cafés where the neighborhood locals go for espresso to simple lunch rooms where you can get home-style Hungarian food, to modern Hungarian restaurants which show the creative side of the Hungarian kitchen and international restaurants.
• The Tomb of Gul Baba, located near the Lukács Baths, is the northernmost Islamic holy place. Gul Baba was a Turkish holy man who came to Budapest during the Turkish invasion in the 16th century.
• The Fény utca Market, located at Széna tér, is where we love to do our shopping. It’s one of the city’s best markets, and is worth the walk.
Year Purchased: 2008
About the owner: We (Carolyn and Gábor) are an American/Hungarian couple who have lived in this neighborhood for more than 13 years (with our three kids). We love to travel, explore Budapest, eat good food, and drink nice wine. We run a culinary tour company, called Taste Hungary, so luckily we get to spend lots of time researching and tasting the foods and wines of Hungary (as well as the surrounding countries)! Carolyn is a food/travel writer so can fill you in on what is happening in Budapest (and beyond) while you'll be in town.
Why the Owner Chose Budapest, Víziváros, Hungary:
We chose this apartment because we couldn't resist its fantastic location, the gorgeous (and quiet!) early 20th century building, and the cozy apartment itself, which has high ceilings, original parquet floors, and elegantly tall windows and doors.
The Unique Benefits at this Condo:
EXTRA (FOOD AND WINE) PERKS We hope all of our guests are excited to discover Hungarian food and wine! We might be biased, but we think tasting your way around Budapest is the best way to get to the soul of the city, and we are happy to help in this area! Guests at our apartments will receive: • A complimentary bottle of Hungarian wine from The Tasting Table Budapest (our wine bar) will be waiting for you upon check-in. • Honesty “mini bar” in each apartment, fully-stocked with some of our favorite wines from around Hungary to ensure that you drink well. • 10% discount on any Taste Hungary Tour (you’ll get a discount code when you book the apartment) • 10% discount on all wine, spirit, and food purchases at The Tasting Table Budapest • 10% discount on any wine tasting, beer tasting, or wine dinner at The Tasting Table Budapest (you’ll get a discount code when you book the apartment) • Our list of hand-picked favorite Budapest eating and drinking spots (will be emailed to you when you book the apartment). We’ll also provide you with our own curated Insider’s Guide to the Neighborhood so you can check out all of the sights, and our favorite places. • Need advice on what to eat and drink in Budapest? Feel free to drop us an email! We literally wrote the book on it!
Links to more information:
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
This staircase outside of the apartment leads up to the Castle District
Statues above the main entrance
The neighborhood is very central, and one of Budapest's oldest
The living room
Antique clawfoot bathtub
The kitchen and hallway
The living room
The front door opens from one of the building's two courtyards
The apartment is located on a quiet one-block cobblestone street
View from the bedroom to the kitchen
The "honesty" mini bar
The living room
Living room and bedroom
The front door, facing the inner-courtyard
Antique Hungarian plates
The living room
The Danube, located just a block away
This listing was first published here in 2008.
Date last modified - Saturday, April 29, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.