San Francisco Bay View Hilltop Home Near the Wine Country
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3-6 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Relaxed, charming turn-of-the-century home on a hilltop above the SF Bay at The Carquinez Straits. Master bedroom has Lux Queen bed, 1 fine Englander Double in the Middle bedroom,
1 pull-out daybed in parlor sleeps two plus a large soft leather couch in the large sun room, waking to views of passing kayaks, sailboats, tugs & great ships on SF Bay, along with rolling California hills. Clean comfortable, quiet, convenient house with expansive decks, BBQ & multi-level deck & gardens, bordered by Regional Parkland. Fully equipped bright, airy kitchen with breakfast table. Shower over tub & new plumbing in tiled bathroom off middle bedroom and sunroom.. Sunny washer dryer laundry room with ironing board. Nice china and cookware and plenty of glassware for any type entertaining.
SF 38 miles by car on Hwy 80 to the heart of downtown SF or a fun 1 hr. Ferry ride to Fisherman's Wharf. It is 23.2 miles to downtown Napa & Wine Country tours. John Muir mansion & Jack London's cabin both a 20 minute ride depending on commute time or aorund that. Redwoods 1 hour. 2-3 hours on coast Hwy to Carmel, Monterey Bay & Hearst Castle.
Port Costa is SF East Bay’s secret get away: population of 190, boasts 2 unique Barbary Coast style restaurant/ bars and the old time Burlington Hotel on the Straits has been refurbished, right across from the quaint post office . Bull Valley Roadhouse is open Wed – Sunday for dinner. Warehouse Cafe is famous for the giant polar bear in a glass cage by the pool tables in the bar. Plentiful reasonable food served with hundreds of beers. Our historic restored school hosts social, art, car & bicycle club events. Short bike ride or drive to fish at Eckley Pier (no license required), picnic & hike: secluded Coastline Park. Crockett Hills Regional Park's covers 2000 acres. Experience John Muir historic mansion & farm. This National park is 10 miles away, off Hwy 4: Alhambra Ave in Martinez.
What is near by: Tennis courts and public pool in Crockett 3 miles from Port Costa along the Carquinez Scenic Drive: Three miles to Hwy 80, 29 miles to downtown San Francisco. Tour the bay & get to SF via Ferry: Cross Zampa bridge to Vallejo Terminal and catch a one hour Ferry ride to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. Bay Area Rapid Transit parking 15 to 20 minutes from Port Costa dependingon whcih station you choose. Marine World, 20 minutes. Oakland International Airport, 34 miles, 40 miles to SFO and downtown Napa is 20 miles.
Situated along the bay train coastline in between California Regional Parks, this property has nothing but acres of open space between its upper garden and the lower edge of the East Bay Regional Park trail. Hike directly up and take a walk above an unforgettable stretch of San Francisco bay coastline. The official park entrance is along the winding Carquinez Scenic Drive on your way into Port Costa. Landing area leads down to Eckley Pier for another gem of a coastline park at water’s edge for fishing (no license required) and picnics and hiking. Bird life abounds with red wing black birds, humming birds, finches, mockingbirds, kestrel, and a pair of golden eagles & offspring often fly above the house in Port Costa.
Crockett Hills Regional Park is the second park just 3 miles away along Carquinez Scenic drive and it offers mountain bike trails, horseback riding and organized treks to reach the summits where, on a clear day, you can see the entire SF Bay and across San Pablo bay to Mount Tamalpais, above Mill Valley.
What’s to Do: Sit on the deck or in the sunroom and watch water traffic. Take walks. There are numerous close park trail gates.
Port Costa has 2 restaurants 'downtown' on Canyon Lake Drive. The largest and 'wildest' one is the Warehouse Cafe, famous for budget Alaskan crab legs & weekend steak deals. Large bar has 100s of beers. A 2 story high white polar bear stands on its hind legs by the pool table in a class cage, since 1960.
A romantic, more upscale eating experience is Bull Valley Roadhouse new owners from SF. Nice decor. Have a drink, sitting at the bar, a tourist attraction in itself, with Tiffany lamps, brought down from the Gold Rush country, by the Port Costa house owner’s grandmother- perfect for the early California Barbary Coast decor. Open for dinner Wed - Sunday
Drive 3 miles to Crockett & discover: Nantucket, on Port Street local seafood and drinks favorite, on the water by the fishing boats and the pier. The Dead Fish, on San Pablo Avenue (at Pomona Street at freeway ramp from Hwy 80) is an upscale SF chain for glitzy cocktails & fish dinners with bay, Zampa Bridge & Naval Academy water views.
From Port Costa it is one hour and 34 minutes or 75 miles to Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve, located in a canyon two miles north of the Russian River, in Sonoma county just north of Guerneville. Lots of good wineries and places to eat in the area.
The Coast Redwood Sequoia sempervirens grows along the CA coast all the way up into southern Oregon in an area about 500 miles long by 30 miles wide.
Further north Montgomery State Reserve redwood trees is 104.3 miles from our house and 13 miles west of Ukiah, CA Ukiah, 2 hours 33 minutes from Port Costa house, according to google. One tree growing there is the tallest known tree in the World according to Trip Advisor. Pack a good picnic and beverages as you wont want to take time to hunt up a place to eat.
It is a much longer drive up to Avenue of the Giants, the most famous area of giant redwoods: 4 hours drive up and back to Humbolt Redwoods state park : 218 miles via east 80 and CA 37 toward Napa. At Lakeville Hwy you turn onto US 101 ramp and go north for 177 miles till CA 254 N and 2 miles further on to Humbolt Redwoods State Park.
Member since: 2009
- 1500 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
Well behaved kids are always welcome. Port Costa is a great place for hiking and exploring.School yard has swings and a basketball court. Tennis courts & large pool is 3 miles from the house in Crockett....moreless
- Non Smoking Only:
- Pets Not Allowed
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, Beds for 4-6
- Master bed in quiet corner of the house, off the front parlor. Superb Englander Queen delivers a wonderful night's sleep, tranquil view of lovely garden & rolling hills. Spacious closets. Smaller bedroom, the 'Map Room,' new pillow-top Englander double. Pocket sliding door into the single bathroom and another one to the parlor. A big window looks onto peaceful garden & hill view. Plenty closets. Fireplace in both rooms. Bathroom' two entrances with sliding doors to provide privacy for the Map room, plus general entry from sun room. A day bed expands from the sofa in the front parlor which is a great place for late night TV viewing, beside two comfortable easy chairs w foot stools (Satellite TV, DVD player, writing desk, gas fireplace in the parlor Italian white leather couch in the large sunroom is a great place to stretch out for the night. Many prefer it to daybed in parlor for a single sleeper. Sleep across from the fireplace and watch the moonrise over the Straits....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- Single Victorian style bathroom has a full bathtub with overhead shower. A large vanity with modern, antique style sink fixtures provides plenty of surface area, great lighting, mirrors, drawers & shelves. Black & white floor tiles match an old fashioned decor. Enjoy a new top of the line, water efficient, planet friendly Toto dual flush toilet. Sliding doors at the two exits maintain privacy for occupant of adjoining middle bedroom. Window opens onto the garden. there is a steam bent antique chair with seat cushion and an Ikea bathroom scale. Dresser contains plenty of bath, hand and face towels, a hair dryer, shower caps and one first aid drawer with band aids. Heat lamps plus panel and extra ceiling lighting make ablutions a pleasure and a breeze. Dark dresser has faux white marble slab atop and stores plenty bath and hand towels and face cloths. Antique mirror there gives another place to put on make up. Night light in stained glass style placed enroute for nite visits....moreless
- Breakfast at a sunny table in spacious, well equipped kitchen or at the large sun room dining table that expands to seat 8 ( up to 12). Italian tile floors throughout kitchen & sunroom. Limited Meals and maid Service negotiable. Tennis courts and swimming pool 3 miles away at at Crockett Recreation Center. Grocery, liquor & drug stoes: 12 minutes/ Rodeo / Hwy 80. 10 mins. to shopping centers in Martinez/ Hwy 4. Easy 12 minute drive toward SF on Hwy 80 to Trader Joe's in Pinole. Visit antique stores here in town & in nearby Martinez where John Muir's home is open for tours. Antiques, ethic art & an eclectic home library are yours to enjoy plus best water view in town. BBQ on lower deck. plenty of nice china, glasses & flatware, laundry room has washer, dryer, iron & ironing board. Locals meet at Post office. Town folk colorful & friendly. Weekend watercolorists, birdwatchers & cycl...moreless
- Audio Tape Player
- CD Player
- DVD Player:
- Music Library:
- Satellite / Cable:
- Video Library:
- Away From It All
- Recreation Center
- Theme Parks
- Water Parks
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Gambling Casinos
- Horseback Riding
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
Two busy restaurants thrive in POrt Costa, Bull Valley Roadhouse gets 5 star reviews and is frequented by SF well heeled. Warehouse Cafe specializes in beers & BBQ. Antique shops & parks for all....moreless
GIANT REDWOODS are just 75 miles to Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve, located in a canyon two miles north of the Russian River, in Sonoma county north of Guerneville wineries & restaurants...moreless
About 50 homes, we all have boxes at the old fashioed post office downtown by the Warehouse Cafe and across from Burlington Hotel whose Honeyhouse Coffee shop & lobby are both favorites on weekends....moreless
Hilltop lot with decks and view windows affords spectacular views of SF Bay at the Carquinez Straits. Ocean going vessels, tugboats, sail boats and kiyakers glide by 24/7. Lights twinkle at night....moreless
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Basketball Court
- Deepsea Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Jet Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Pier Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Dining Area
- Seating for 8 people
- Activities Guide
Ceiling fans in the common areas and area fans for each room on the few hot days each year . Breezes off the Straits and a quiet neighborhood make it fine to leave tall screened windows open. ...moreless
- Alarm Clock
- Basic Soaps
- Bottled Water
- Broadband Access:
- Ceiling Fans
- Clothes Dryer:
- Filtered Water
- Gas Fireplace:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Paper Towels
- Parking Off Street:
- Parking On Street
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer:
- Sofa Bed
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine:
- Wireless Internet:
- 4 Ring Stove
For any special occasion, or just for fun catering may be reserved through on site service Bull Valley Road house, founded by the owners uncle, straight down the hill from the Port Costa house....moreless
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Ice Maker
- Lobster Pot
- Beach Towels
Deck / Patio:
Guest deck has breathtaking views of SF Bay and rolling California hills. Plenty of bench seating as well as deck chairs, tables and BBQ Splendid gardens surround the property. Fenced open space above...moreless
Gazebo has views of the SF Bay at the Straits, hills & gardens from a shaded corner on the large deck comfortable seating for 8 beneath. Lanterns & deck light for gazebo seating summer nights ...moreless
- Large Cooler
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Porch / Veranda
- Small Cooler
- Tennis Court
- Unscreened Porch / Veranda
- Walkway To Water
- Wood Deck
Pool / Spa
- Housekeeper Optional
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Nov 20 - Nov 27, 2016
6 night min stay
Dec 16 - Jan 5, 2017
5 night min stay
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $20 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
- refundableDamageDeposit $500
- Tax Rate 11%
HOUSE and PROPERTY RENTAL RULES
1. CHECK-IN TIME IS AFTER 4 PM, PST CHECK-OUT before 11 AM, PST Owner my make exceptions, depending on reservations prior or after stay.
2. NON SMOKING property.OK to smoke outdoors, street side o the front porch or out in the driveway.
3. Pets are not permitted in the house or yard without a written agreement and an additional rental fee of $200 per single pet plus $50 each additional up to 3
4. We reserve the right not to rent to vacationing students or singles under 21 years of age unless accompanied by an adult or parent.
5. DAMAGE/RESERVATION DEPOSIT- A damage/reservation deposit of $200 is waived when $1500 CSA Travel Protection insurance is purchased for $59. Deposit of 50% of total rent must be received to book the reservation. Deposit is applied & fully refundable when cancellation notice is 30 days before check in.
6. Recycling is mandatory in this county: discard only plastic, glass, aluminum and paper in the Blue bin provided and garbage in the brown bin. Green bin is for garden trimmings only. If you like, you may put your vegetarian green kitchen waste in the compost jar in a bag or request a closed jar for your sink. Otherwise all wet waste goes in the garbage can in the kitchen. Before check out place soiled dishes in and start the dishwasher cycle. Leave used towels on the floor.
7. No linens may be lost or damaged.
8. Any charges accrued during the stay must be paid in full prior to departure.
9. Leave door key for the owner in the place provided and leave all doors unlocked.
10. PAYMENT - An advance payment equal to 50% of the rental rate plus the CSA damage protection purchase is required upon reservation. Current area tax for rental property is 11% which is added to the rental amount. If you cancel 30 days prior to arrival the entire deposit is refundable. The advance payment will be applied toward the house rent. “Book it Now” is enabled
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Port Costa is 31 miles from San Francisco across the Bay bridge (on Hwy 80 east past Berkeley.) Port Costa village is on the part of SF bay, between Berkeley & Napa Valley called the Carquinez Strait. Public swimming pool, park & tennis courts are just 3 miles from the Port Costa house in the neighboring town of Crockett. There is a great play ground on Canyon lake Drive, the main street of Port Costa at the historic Port Costa School, now used as a Community Center. between crockett and Port Costa is the East Bay Regional Park Landing area leading to park trails and down to the water and Eckley Pier where fishing ( without a licence) is allowed. There is also a nice level park and picnic tables there.
Port Costa 23 miles from Napa, gateway to fabulous Northern California Wine Country. Take the Ferry from Vallejo, to San Francisco, a great way to see the bay and avoid traffic and parking in SF.
ATT Park at SF Embarcadero for ball games & events easy by Vallejo Ferry. Terminal is just across the Zampa bridge.
Port Cost Guests often drive down to Carmel and Monterey by the Sea from here and some take the 3.5 hour drive up to Lake Tahoe and state line casinos. Mendocino is a day trip.
Closer to home: Sierra Club founder John Muir's home is a lovely national monument/ museum 15 minutes away. Jack London's cabin is 20 minutes away in Oakland's Jack London square.
Four Regional Parks surround. You'll pass East Bay Regional park staging area approaching Port Costa on Carquin
Other Activities: Bird watching & Regional Park hiking
Year Purchased: 1963
About the owner: Port Costa has an annual July 4 parade. Sonny and I outfitted our old Mercedes with my late great aunt Mimi's monkey doll collection and won first place. Mimi Pauls Popouri was the 1st antique store in town in the early1960s I've been executive director for LITA of Contra Costa since 2002. Terrace gardening is my passion. Fortunate, as house is on top of a hill. My parents purchased the Port Costa house as their first home in 1963 after completing a lifetime of traveling to different countries with my Dad's outfit, Utah International Mining and Construction. In those days Port Costa was a thriving antique center, connected by Carquinez Scenic Drive to Martinez, the county seat. A storm washed out the road near Martinez in the 1970's keeping Port Costa at a very small population of 180 inhabitants, which is how most folks in town like it. My brother and I wanted to continue our folks favorite retirement occupation: having guests stay over to enjoy the home they both loved so much. My younger brother lives in Los Angeles of but visits often. My partner of 36 years now, Sonny and I live in an apartment below the main house which my Dad built for my grandmother and later served to accommodate any extra guests. There is a connecting interior spiral staircase which leads down our pantry and laundry room. A sturdy oak door at the foot of the stairs is for rental guests privacy. Since 2002 I have been Executive Director for LITA 'Love is The Answer' of CC which serves a growing number of convalescent and nursing hospitals around the county. We bring one on one volunteer visitors, pets, musicians, dancers, elementary and middle school groups of children to visit on a regular basis. The 80 volunteers and 30 skilled nursing facilities keep me busy. Gardening is my passion, which is a good thing since there are so many gardens on the property. Other hobby is sitting in the garden watching the sparkling water.
Why the Owner Chose Port Costa, CA, USA:
I inherited the 'Last Resort along with my brother from my parents. The decision to make the top level a vacation rental was natural one since every guests who ever visited our family was astonished by the views, loved the house and and couldn't get over how close it was to every point of interest in the Bay area. With a bit thought on times, it is an easy ride into San Francisco, up to Bolinas or the Wine Country tours. Monterey and Carmel by the Sea are under 3 hours away ( all depending on when you drive. Yet Port Costa really feels like it is 'out in the country'. I have detailed elsewhere in property description the distance and directions to the Redwood Trees GIANT REDWOODS From Port Costa it is one hour and 34 minutes or 75 miles to Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve, located in a canyon two miles north of the Russian River, in Sonoma county just north of Guerneville. Lots of good wineries and places to eat in the area. The Coast Redwood Sequoia sempervirens grows along the CA coast all the way up into southern Oregon in an area about 500 miles long by 30 miles wide. Further north Montgomery State Reserve redwood trees is 104.3 miles from our house and 13 miles west of Ukiah, CA Ukiah, 2 hours 33 minutes from Port Costa house, according to google. One tree growing there is the tallest known tree in the World according to Trip Advisor. Pack a good picnic and beverages as you wont want to take time to hunt up a place to eat. It is a much longer drive up to Avenue of the Giants, the most famous area of giant redwoods: 4 hours drive up and back to Humbolt Redwoods state park : 218 miles via east 80 and CA 37 toward Napa. At Lakeville Hwy you turn onto US 101 ramp and go north for 177 miles till CA 254 N and 2 miles further on to Humbolt Redwoods State Park.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Moon rise watching across the beautiful water from under the gazebo our on the deck on the many calm quiet nights. Year round remarkable hill and water views and migrating and local varieties of beautiful birds, wild turkey flocks and deer, Our village is full of artists and musicians, some of whom can be seen heard ( in the most pleasant and off in the distance manner) at venues downtown on a weekend night. I've been told I should take and post more pictures of the upper and lower gardens that are my greatest delight work. We will compost all your organic green kitchen waste, if you are a mind to participate in the enrichment of our very large garden. My parents were instrumental in protecting the surrouding hills and waterfront from developers until it was bought by he East Bay Regional Park . My brother and I are still great supporters of the Port Costa Conservation Society. Upper Prospect Avenue has had the same 6 houses standing since the 1890s. Our neighbors treasure the quite and the safety and stability of the street and knowing one another and looking out for each other. They are friendly and accepting of the guests who find their way to 135 Prospect Avenue.
- Primary: +1 9252124573 after 6 am before 11 pm
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Guess parking is center spot between Mercedes and 1937 Chevy at foot of steps
Dining table can expand to seat 10
House top left, seen from a boat on the Carquinez Straits
View of Straits from corner gazebo
Gazebo & deck living area with water & hill views BBQ and large garden to right
All the appliances & utensils you could need
Kitchen convenient off sun room dining
Fireplace and chair in Master Bedroom
Secod bedroom also has a wall ofcedar lined closets with mirrors
Satellite with Dish HBO writing desk in the front parlor
Dresse for: towels, bathrugs, Outlet for dryer near mirror
Separate laundry room, new washer, large capacity dry linen dresser &supplies
Sunroom Living views over Straits and hills
Antique radio collection, WWII and original art
Typical scene from sun room water side window
Deck and gazebo from up in mid summer garden
Birds eye view of main deck
Expandable ktchen table
Master bedroom: huge closets garden view
Double bed in smaller room off bath.
Front parlor couch pulls out for 2 more sleepers. Leather trunk storage
Shower over spacious tub and a spot to sit
Bathroom counter sink with windowto garden
See house: topleft from one of our many close by East Bay park trails
This listing was first published here in 2009.
Date last modified - Friday, October 28, 2016
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM