Spacious 1890s Waterfront Home on Pristine Maine Lake(5 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Property type:Lodge
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
About the Property
5 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, 1 half bath, sleeps 11 (1 king, 1 queen, 7 twin).
Living on the Lake: The Great East Lake experience is one of simplicity, calm, and connection with your loved ones. It is not Disneyland! There is plenty to do (sailing, kayaking, swimming, hiking, fishing, cycling, ping pong, playing pool, watching DVDs on the big TV, board games, piano-playing, reading, sunset watching, blue berrying), but this is not a fast-moving, high-tech environment. The options for eating out are limited and movies are 45 minutes away. However, the lake offers loon songs every evening, beautiful sunsets, more stars than you've ever seen in the night sky, days that seem to just roll out apart from any particular schedule, and an opportunity to get back to the basics. Those desiring endless action should not come here. But for those who want to build family memories or great friendships or just reconnect with nature, this is the place! Take a skinny dip, have a steam shower, cook a great meal together...soon you won't even care about what's on TV!
Location on the Lake: This house was one of the first to be built on the lake and the original owners chose the best possible spot! There is no better place to watch the sunset and there are multiple decks and porches from which to enjoy it. It is also well located for both sailing and kayaking as it sits at a point where both the broad and the narrow parts of the lake are easily available. Finally, its underwater rock formations have made it well-recognized as one of the premiere sites on the lake for bass fishing. You will have to bring your own fishing tackle, but you can fish from shore or use the larger kayak. Also, if you bring your bikes, there is a wonderful 17-mile ride around the lake, and we can provide you with a map.
In Maine there are water quality standards that qualify a lake as 'pristine.' Great East Lake's clarity ratings are twice as good as the top category. Many people on the lake still use the lake water to drink, although our well water is probably safer and tastes delicious
Nearby activities: The house is located approximately one hour west of the Maine coast. There, you will find charming towns like Kennebunkport and Ogunquit, with great restaurants and unique shops, as well as beautiful sandy beaches. If you travel west from the house, you will reach Wolfeboro, NH, another charming town right on Lake Winnepesaukee. Heading north, you can reach Mt Chocorua, the southernmost mountain of the White Mountain range, in about an hour. There are great hiking trails here, with 'Champney Brook' offering a fairly easy yet beautiful experience. If you continue north on Route 16, you can reach North Conway, NH, where there is both extensive outlet shopping and a quaint town. This is the gateway to the Whites, which offer excellent hiking and great scenery. You can even drive to the top of Mt Washington in your car. If you need a theme park to make your vacation complete, 'Storyland' in Glenn, NH can fit the bill and it is only an hour and a half north.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2009
- 4500 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 11
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Vacation Rental
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
Bedrooms: 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 11
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
- Great attention was paid to the bathrooms which were renovated in 2001. The downstairs bathroom features a slate-lined shower, unusual 'pebble' motif floor and Arts & Crafts vanity. One bathroom upstairs has a jacuzzi tub with shower spray, lined in tumbled stone with a mural of fresh water fish. It also has an Arts & Crafts vanity with unusual cast iron fixtures and a comfy cork floor. The largest bathroom (12x12) boasts a 7x7 steam room, with dual European shower heads and intricate tile pattern, even on the ceiling! Lie down on the two long benches, crank up the steam and let all the tension leave your body! This bathroom also includes a chair and reading lamp as well as a bronze above-counter sink on an antique vanity. The half bath is located between the master bedroom and a twin bedroom and can be used by both or restricted to the master....moreless
- The kitchen was designed for someone who really loves to cook and prefers to do so communally. There are two sinks, a 48' Viking stove, sub-zero fridge, and best of all, a large table where appreciative eaters can congregate. Dishes are a combination of antique and new and there are ample, quality utensils and equipment. Music is limited to a portable CD player but there is wireless internet and great cell coverage. There is no cable TV, but there is a large flat screen TV on the third floor and a DVD player. Specific water equipment includes one double and one single kayak (although more singles could be loaned from next door), a sunfish sail boat, and a swim raft moored out front. Fishing and biking are great but you would need to provide your own equipment. The place is simply perfect for family reunions but does not offer a first-floor bedroom for seniors....moreless
- Books For Kids
- DVD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Away From It All
- Autumn Foliage
- Bird Watching
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Dining Area
- Seating for 8 people
- Basic Soaps
- Clothes Dryer
- Mobile Phone
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wireless Internet
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Lobster Pot
- Boat Dock
- Boat With Paddles
- Kayak / Canoe
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Unscreened Porch / Veranda
Pool / Spa
- Steam Shower
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Pet Fee $50
- Refundable Damage Deposit $500
- Tax Rate 9%
50% deposit for booking; the balance due one month prior to arrival. Payment by check.
Owner's cancellation policy:
Policy available by contacting owner when booking
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
View of the house with the lake just beyond.
Watch the sunset from this roomy porch.
Living room with huge fireplace.
Kitchen table: seats 8 comfortably.
Twin beds ideal for family reunions.
7x7 Steam shower in luxurous bathroom.
A beautiful spot for a wedding!
The peaceful pleasure of a lake vacation.
View from the lake
Dining room table and piano
King pillow-top bed in master BR.
Slate-lined corner shower and custom vanity.
Best spot for sunsets on Great East Lake.
3rd floor pool table with access to Eagle's Nest.
View from the front porch.
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.