House, 4 Bedrooms, 3 Baths, (Sleeps 8-10)
Why Owner chose Avon
I wanted the 'wind-in-my-face' and the ability to frolic in the waves whenever the mood hits me........
What makes this House unique
I go to my house to decompress, relax and re-charge the batteries.......
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
Pets are welcome after agreement with owner.
Books, puzzles and high speed internet..
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date.
Property owner unwilling to refund fees.
Our stay was cut short by a hurricane. We arrived on Sunday evening and were notified on Monday morning we had to be out by noon on Tuesday. The property owner had no problem
Letting us know we needed to evacuate the property but when asked about any refunds there was no immediate reply and only a reply by text not a call as requested. The reply was to contact VRBO which I did. The representative stated they would reach out to the owner and that a majority of owners were cancelling reservations and refunding for nights not stayed. I have yet to hear back from VRBO on the matter and when I finally contacted the owner a second time myself he stated only if I had purchased insurance would there be any refund. He also stated he would let us make reservation during off season for the nights we did not use. This would cost us more money for this option. While I realize weather is uncontrollable I also feel as a property owner you would want to make things right with a party that had rented your property and to come back again. I do have a rental myself at home and take care of my renter much better than I was treated. I will vacation in Avon again but guaranteed I will not stay at this property again or any other owned by this owner. As well I will let everyone I know to not stay at this property or one wiener by this owner. So for these reason you see the low rating I have given.
Dear Future renters: Unfortunately there is limited space offered for a response. The is a great deal of detail that cannot possibly all be included in this short response area so I will try to be brief and concise.
1. My rental is advertised as a Sat-Sat rental during the 4 summer months.
2. Michael requested a Sun-Sun date of which I did not initially notice on my mobile app as I travel extensively for work and try to respond quickly.
3. Because he said he could not adjust his dates back to Sat-Sat, I agreed to honor my mistake. 4. This cost me $2350. in lost rental revenue.
5. Michael apparently did not purchase travel insurance.
6. This would have cost him 3% but a guaranteed full refund.
7. Hurricane season is common in the fall in the outer banks.
8. I was on a family vacation out of the country at the time of this state mandated evacuation. 9. My Maintenance folks boarded up my house to protect against damage. 10. As I could not call from outside the country I suggested he contact VRBO so they could walk him through the insurance process. 11. I assumed he had put in his claim and got refunded so I did not call him back when I returned. 12. My cancellation policy is clearly stated on my website at 60 days prior so I can re-rent the spot. 13. Because Michael chose not the protect his trip he freely took the storm risk at the height of hurricane season.14. I cannot control the weather consequently the travel insurance is worth the small cost. 15. I offered Michael a FREE week on the off season at no cost to him but he never responded. I want to restate that this is a policy I have always offered and it was FREE. 16. I have offered this in the past and it has been received well. 17. I had a guest just this season using a FREE week from an evacuation last season. 18. Michael is clearly upset and wants me to reimburse him the rental for weather I cannot control. That's what the travel insurance should be purchased to cover.
Michael, I'm sorry this rental wasn't more to your liking. Best of luck in the future....!!
Fantastic Beach Week!
Perfect property for families! Nice floor plan, great beach and fantastic location, close to all amenities. House has everything you could need. Although well stocked, updates are needed in some areas/items due to age and overuse. Owner very pleasant to communicate with and receptive to recommendations. Property management company also nice to work with and responsive to requests. Thank you for a super vacation!
Family Trip, July 2019
Excellent location, close to grocery store and anything needed for our vacation. Property manager was very accessible and responsive to our questions. Outdoor shower was great, a real benefit. Overall, our family had a great week! However, a few things on website were not accurate.
1. Website - New Kitchen; not sure what was new, maybe website should explain.
2. Website - Recently renovated; not sure this statement is up-to-date, maybe website should explain what was recently renovated.
3. Website - Flatscreens throughout; flatscreens in living area and two bedrooms, other two bedrooms have no tv service.
4. Website - Air Hockey table; there is no Air Hockey table.
A few other notes, walkway to beach in front of house is closed, had to walk two houses down through sand to get to wooden walkway; wear shoes, sand burs throughout. Also, area around grill and house very overgrown with trash in growth. Forced to use neighbors yard to walk dog due to overgrown areas.
I hate to end on a negative, so I’ll say again, our family had great week!
Sorry it took so long for me to respond but VRBO often changes their format and I was unaware of your review.
I will address you comments one at a time.
1. My kitchen was gutted and custom cabinets , new wood floor and new countertops were installed along with all new appliances two years ago. My view is that this would still be considered a new kitchen as I have owned the property for 15 years and I constructed this new kitchen very recently. Renters can sometimes be rough on the property and wear and tear can happen. Wood surfaces get stratched, etc. which can make things look older than they are.
2. Recently renovated. During my kitchen update I put new skylights, new picture window and two new sliding doors to my deck. All new carpet was installed on the entire main living area. Also all wall were painted. This was two years ago.
3. The three flat screen TV's is an opinion and I understand now that you might have thought that there should be TV's in every bedroom. My mistake, sorry for that.
4. The air Hockey game was broken the week before your arrival and subsequently it was determined that it could not be fixed. This is the second large table game I have replaced in three years so I decide to eliminate it. I was originally hoping to have it back in time for your rental. period
5. The beach and dunes in front of my house change with every storm. The dunes at that time had been cut by recent ocean activity and the board walk is in place purposely to accommodate such potential changing sand. It allows direct access to the beach. The sand burrs, the ever changing dunes and the changing beach topography are normal for the Outer Banks National Seashore. As far as walking the dog, The house is located on a small property and is not spacious enough to walk the dog. The house is on a cul-de-sac with no traffic. There is plenty of room to walk the dog in those areas. I do however appreciate the input on building materials under the house as it is a never issue due to the high winds at storm time that blows these materials around frequently. That is why I do not have beach chairs. They get blown away and end up in other peoples property. The trimming around the grill is something I was unaware of and I will speak to my maintenance company about cleaning that up.
All in all I was happy to hear that there were things that you liked about the property. I live a great distance from the property and guests calling me directly while at the house or emailing me after their stay is one of the best methods for ensuring my maintenance company is following through and keeping my property in A#1 shape. Thanks for your input.
Fantastic Ocean View
Home was quite comfortable and very clean. Kitchen was well stocked. Ocean views from top level of house were fantastic! And there was even a smaller views from bedroom level. There is a top small deck to better look at the ocean, but it’s a tad steep to climb those stairs. Short walk to ocean walkway since direct access over dunes has washed out. Thanks for a beautiful week in the sun! 🌞
Great time had by all!!! So happy that you enjoyed the house and it was represented accurately for your expectations. When the next storm comes in this fall it will probably wash the path back into usable condition. The walkways and steps are only about 100 feet up the beach and easily accessible from the house. Feel free to come back next year! !!!
We'd rented this same property a year ago to spend a week with our two 20-something children and a couple of their friends. Great view. Wonderful Great Room. Well supplied kitchen and just a short walk through the dunes to the beach. Peaceful stretch of beach, even on Memorial Day. The market is a 5-minute drive away. Ghost crabs at night for the dogs to chase. Bonfire on the beach. Would stay again.
Thanks Julie, so happy we met your expectations. Please come back next season!
Nice Location Lovely House
Overall everything was very nice. Absolutely beautiful view. . AC worked great. You cant beat the view out the upstairs sliding glass doors and sunroof windows. Newer appliances. Having 3 bathrooms was great with a family of 3 girls. Everything you need for a nice getaway. Outside could use some yard clean up and trimming, weeds growing on entrance way stairs have thorns. We do have to say beds are very firm and I like firm mattresses, pillows a little flat but nice little rooms to settle down in at the end of the day.