Historic Riverside Home, Southern Loire Valley(6 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:30 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
About the Property
Mediaeval Country House, 3 Bedrooms, 2.5 Baths, (Sleeps 6)
Our riverside home in France provides a peaceful retreat in which to dream, think, write or simply relax. Overlooking a millpond on the Gartempe River, a tributary of the mighty Loire, we are serenaded by amorous toads & frogs, ducks and moorhens against the steady backdrop of water pouring over the weir.
Solidly built by the Bishops of Poitiers in the early fourteen-hundreds as a tithe barn, the house has massive foundations with walls several feet thick. It retains its medieval ambience with exposed oak beams and an elegant cherry-wood staircase built in the local style.
The house has recently undergone extensive improvements to make it energy-efficient - for the first time in 600 years
Light and airy, it enjoys stunning views across the river. Our garden runs down to the river bank and provides a peaceful and secluded spot to write, read, doze or entertain. We are both writers and find the environment very conducive to our work. We feel that our home would be ideally suited for like-minded people.
Our village, St. Pierre-de-Maillé, has its own general store, which you will find well stocked. We also have a bakery, restaurant, and bar.
Our home is perfect for:
Outdoor adventurers - biking, canoing, hiking, horseback riding
Anyone seeking peace and relaxation!
• Angles-sur-l'Anglin, less than three miles away, hailed as one of the most beautiful villages in France, is also home to a new museum of prehistory dedicated to the famous relief carvings in the Abri du roc aux sorciers.
• The great chateaux of the Loire valley.
• The Brenne National Park – great for wildlife
• Futuroscope - Theme park devoted to the moving image
• and a lot more!
• Abundant bike & walking trails
• Swimming & duck feeding in the river
• Canoeing (available to borrow)
• Horse & cart ride
• Horse riding
• Wine tasting
• Rock climbing
• Bird watching
• Prehistoric remains
• Scenery! - Churches, castles, ruins, caves, green lanes
• 3 bedrooms (2 double, 1 twin)
• 2.5 bathrooms
• Free WiFi
• Washer & outdoor line (no dryer)
• Linens & towels
• Gas stove & Bench-top oven
• Games & books
• TV & DVD player
• Pellet stove heater in living room
• Electric wall heaters
• Bikes & Canoes available to borrow free of charge
• Family friendly (high chair & cot available)
• Patio/outdoor area with barbecue
• Vegetable garden (help yourself!)
• Private section of garden with river access
• Picnic tables on the river opposite the house
• Minimum stay 7 nights
• Long term renters welcome
• Price varies according to season
• Check in 5pm
• Check out 10am
• Pets considered
• Minimum age of renters is 25
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Verify your payment method
Member since: 2005
- 2000 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Children Welcome:
- Limited Accessibility:
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 6-8
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bathroom
- Both bathrooms feature full-length tubs, with shower.
- Secluded riverside garden provides a great place for writers and artists. Help yourself to fresh vegetables and eggs (when the chickens are laying). St.Pierre is home to an excellent restaurant (L'Etoile) and there are also several others nearby catering to all tastes. The area is great for bicycling and hiking, canoeing and fishing and also provides limitless cultural attractions & activities...moreless
- CD Player
- DVD Player
- Music Library:
- Ping Pong Table
- Away From It All
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Gambling Casinos
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Equestrian Events
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Seating for 6 people
- Broadband Access:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Computer Available:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room:
- Parking Off Street:
- Coffee Maker:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Deck / Patio:
- Kayak / Canoe:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
30 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $246.57
- Cleaning $92.46
- Taxes Not included
No refunds unless a replacement booking becomes available.
Utilities & heating payable in standard season
Owner's cancellation policy:
Policy available by contacting owner when booking
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
The area, set in gently rolling hills and river valleys, is rich in historic and prehistoric sites. Angles sur l'Anglin (3 miles) is one of the ten most beautiful villages in France, with dramatic cliff-top castle ruins and prehistory museum. Many visitors enjoy the Gregorian chant at the 12th Century Benedictine Abbey at Fontgombeault. The countryside is permeated by medieval 'green lanes', which not only provide geat walking and mountain biking, but can also be explored on a horse-drawn wagon for a nominal sum. Throughout the summer there are villages festivals, brocantes and music receitals. The great royal chåteaux of the Loire Valley are only an hour's drive away, as are many famous wineries.
Year Purchased: 1990
About the owner: The owners are founding directors of the Bali Children's Project, a non-profit providing educational opportunities to disadvantaged village children. Both are writers. Dr. John Cooke taught zoology at Oxford, and was a director of Oxford Scientific Films, producing wildlife documentaries for TV.
Why the Owner Chose St-Pierre-de-Maillé, France:
After visiting with friends for several years we fell in love with this part of France. The location and historic character of the house presented a unique opportunity when it came on the market.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The best of French country living while only 80 minutes from Paris by TGV.
- Primary: +33 549911530
Links to more information:
House from the river
Kitchen & Dining Area
View across the river from kitchen
Horses in the Gartempe
Early morning mists on the Gartempe- across from house.
Joyce with one of the girls
Russian dancers on our steps. [ Lots of music and performances in our area!]
View from our terrace.
Castle ruins - Angles-sur-l'Anglin
Annual bike race through St. Pierre de Maillé
Fishing on the Gartempe
Bounty from our Garden
Painting in our garden
nearby St. Savin Abbey - A world Heritage Site
Sunflowers in July
The house in autumn
This listing was first published here in 2010.
Date last modified - Friday, January 20, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.