Welcome to La Grange aux Dîmes, St. Pierre-de-Maille.
Our riverside home in France provides a peaceful retreat in which to dream, think, write or simply relax. Overlooking a millpond on the Gartempe River, a tributary of the mighty Loire, we are serenaded by amorous toads & frogs, ducks and moorhens against the steady backdrop of water pouring over the weir.
Solidly built by the Bishops of Poitiers in the early fourteen-hundreds as a tithe barn, the house has massive foundations with walls several feet thick. It retains its medieval ambience with exposed oak beams and an elegant cherry-wood staircase built in the local style.
The house has recently undergone extensive improvements to make it energy-efficient - for the first time in 600 years
Light and airy, it enjoys stunning views across the river. Our garden runs down to the river bank and provides a peaceful and secluded spot to write, read, doze or entertain. We are both writers and find the environment very conducive to our work. We feel that our home would be ideally suited for like-minded people.
Our village, St. Pierre-de-Maillé, has its own general store, which you will find well stocked. We also have a bakery, restaurant, and bar.
Our home is perfect for:
Outdoor adventurers - biking, canoing, hiking, horseback riding
Anyone seeking peace and relaxation!
• Angles-sur-l'Anglin, less than three miles away, hailed as one of the most beautiful villages in France, is also home to a new museum of prehistory dedicated to the famous relief carvings in the Abri du roc aux sorciers.
• The great chateaux of the Loire valley.
• The Brenne National Park – great for wildlife
• Futuroscope - Theme park devoted to the moving image
• and a lot more!
• Abundant bike & walking trails
• Swimming & duck feeding in the river
• Canoeing (available to borrow)
• Horse & cart ride
• Horse riding
• Wine tasting
• Rock climbing
• Bird watching
• Prehistoric remains
• Scenery! - Churches, castles, ruins, caves, green lanes
• 3 bedrooms (2 double, 1 twin)
• 2.5 bathrooms
• Free WiFi
• Washer & outdoor line (no dryer)
• Linens & towels
• Gas stove & Bench-top oven
• Games & books
• TV & DVD player
• Pellet stove heater in living room
• Electric wall heaters
• Bikes & Canoes available to borrow free of charge
• Family friendly (high chair & cot available)
• Patio/outdoor area with barbecue
• Vegetable garden (help yourself!)
• Private section of garden with river access
• Picnic tables on the river opposite the house
• Minimum stay 7 nights
• Long term renters welcome
• Price varies according to season
• Check in 5pm
• Check out 10am
• Pets considered
• Minimum age of renters is 25